Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Such a shame. I started this thread then Zeberdi hijacked it and got his polital thread merged with mine about how people are feeling.

Here's where the thread started:

'I just thought it would be interesting to have one thread for how life has has improved or otherwise for us under Labour over the next 5 years.'

Personally, with the removal of the WFA from a lot of retireds, especially disabled souls, for a small saving overall, the dice was thrown. Sure, I can do without it, but listening on the radio to how some will suffer, it's a heartless tragedy. For me, I'm genuinely anxious about what this government will do next. They have deliberately filled the electorate with dread for a doomsday budget. I'm certainly dreading it and that's how I'm feeling.
They aren’t exactly ‘sure-footed’ are they, unless one considers that well and truly stepping in the dog poo with both feet over the WFA shambles is being ‘sure-footed.’
We can’t be sure whether or not all this feel bad factor they have been remorselessly feeding all and sundry is a front for softening us up for a truly ghastly budget that may not be considered ‘so bad after all’, or whether it will be packed full of Starmer and Reeves ‘tough choices.’
I believe that quite a number of those on the Labour benches feel that the gloom and doom has been overdone, so if Starmer and Reeves have any political nous they will have to come up with something to cheer up the troops at their conference and also the general public at large.
I am no political strategist, but if you want to grow the economy, which Reeves says she does, then the movers and shakers of industry have to have the confidence to take risks, invest capital and try and improve productivity. Likewise, if Mr.and Mrs. Joe Bloggs are to spend their hard earned dosh, they also have to have confidence that ‘hard choices’ aren’t going to screw their household budgets.
Hopefully, a reduction in interest rates will come before too long and help both industry and also those youngsters looking to purchase a property. In the meantime, I dare say S and R have had a harsh lesson in realising that being in Government is a damn’ sight harder than it is sniping from the Opposition benches.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
They aren’t exactly ‘sure-footed’ are they, unless one considers that well and truly stepping in the dog poo with both feet over the WFA shambles is being ‘sure-footed.’
We can’t be sure whether or not all this feel bad factor they have been remorselessly feeding all and sundry is a front for softening us up for a truly ghastly budget that may not be considered ‘so bad after all’, or whether it will be packed full of Starmer and Reeves ‘tough choices.’
I believe that quite a number of those on the Labour benches feel that the gloom and doom has been overdone, so if Starmer and Reeves have any political nous they will have to come up with something to cheer up the troops at their conference and also the general public at large.
I am no political strategist, but if you want to grow the economy, which Reeves says she does, then the movers and shakers of industry have to have the confidence to take risks, invest capital and try and improve productivity. Likewise, if Mr.and Mrs. Joe Bloggs are to spend their hard earned dosh, they also have to have confidence that ‘hard choices’ aren’t going to screw their household budgets.
Hopefully, a reduction in interest rates will come before too long and help both industry and also those youngsters looking to purchase a property. In the meantime, I dare say S and R have had a harsh lesson in realising that being in Government is a damn’ sight harder than it is sniping from the Opposition benches.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I certainly think the doom and gloom has been over done especially about NHS. With there comments you would think we are in a third world country and service is non exsistant. This is so far from the truth. For eg I know at present time 7 people receiving hospital treatment 4 in Sussex 1 in midlands and 2 up north. I have spoken to all in last month and without exception all are happy with treatment

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I certainly think the doom and gloom has been over done especially about NHS. With there comments you would think we are in a third world country and service is non exsistant. This is so far from the truth. For eg I know at present time 7 people receiving hospital treatment 4 in Sussex 1 in midlands and 2 up north. I have spoken to all in last month and without exception all are happy with treatment
Fair enough and good to hear.
My wife and I have been patients in St.Richard’s Chichester and RSCH respectively, within the last 14 months. No complaints from either of us re the operations carried out by the Consultants, but in both our cases, nursing and general care left something to be desired. I would add that, in my case, the registrars at RSCH I came into contact with, also had some way to go with their patient interaction skills.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Ed Davey is looking to capitalise on the doom-and-gloom theatrics. Almost mocking it.

I can why Labour have attempted to set this scene …. create a sense that 2024 is the low point, followed by a series of virtuous moments under their stewardship. But the danger is over-egging the depressing bit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ed Davey is looking to capitalise on the doom-and-gloom theatrics. Almost mocking it.

I can why Labour have attempted to set this scene …. create a sense that 2024 is the low point, followed by a series of virtuous moments under their stewardship. But the danger is over-egging the depressing bit.
i thought this at first. then i realised they are still in opposition mode. they cant stop talking about how bad everything is, rather than what they'll do about it.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
i thought this at first. then i realised they are still in opposition mode. they cant stop talking about how bad everything is, rather than what they'll do about it.
I think it’s classic expectation management. They know things are pretty dire economically

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think it’s classic expectation management. They know things are pretty dire economically
inflation flat at a low 2 target, GDP up, interest rates will go down (especially now Fed has dropped), unemployment bubbling around generational low of 4%. that's not dire.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
inflation flat at a low 2 target, GDP up, interest rates will go down (especially now Fed has dropped), unemployment bubbling around generational low of 4%. that's not dire.
Plus Premier League tickets, designer spectacles and bespoke suits are all FREE. So happy days! f***ing moaning pensioners just above the pension credit threshold don’t know they’re born.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’m still here!

It seems that in the last couple of days, since a Times on Sunday article was printed, people have found out about the existence of the Register of Members Financial Interests (even though it's existed for 50 years) and really aren't happy about it. The fact that this new PM has been the first one this decade to fill it out honestly without lying as to what he's been given, doesn't seem to have helped at all. People are furious at the whole concept of it.

Also, the Telegraph has named a Sue Gray as joining the other 200+ senior civil servants who earn more than the Prime Minister but it's much worse her earning it than all the others apparently.

Do keep up :wink:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It seems that in the last couple of days, since a Times on Sunday article was printed, people have found out about the existence of the Register of Members Financial Interests (even though it's existed for 50 years) and really aren't happy about it. The fact that this new PM has been the first one this decade to fill it out honestly without lying as to what he's been given, doesn't seem to have helped at all. People are furious at the whole concept of it.

Also, the Telegraph has named a Sue Gray as joining the other 200+ senior civil servants who earn more than the Prime Minister but it's much worse her earning it than all the others apparently.

Do keep up :wink:
Really is a lot about nothing. Right wing press just desperate they’re now out in the cold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here