Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Your complaint is best taken up with the WhatsApp group featuring 9 members of the Cabinet, which is where the gag originated.
Which is why I specifically made my post about the press - perhaps the likes or yourself and @BLOCK F would do better to not read more things than are there?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Which is why I specifically made my post about the press - perhaps the likes or yourself and @BLOCK F would do better to not read more things than are there?
:lolol: Have another go but try to make this effort MORE patronising, if possible.

Perhaps I didn't read it in the press? Perhaps it was shown to me on Tuesday evening by someone who works in Westminster? :dunky:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:lolol: Have another go but try to make this effort MORE patronising, if possible.

Perhaps I didn't read it in the press? Perhaps it was shown to me on Tuesday evening by someone who works in Westminster? :dunky:
Not sure it was patronising, but you’re still missing the point I was making which is why I didn’t reply to your post in the first as not actually relevant to how the press present things. But do carry on taking offence where none is intended.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not sure it was patronising, but you’re still missing the point I was making which is why I didn’t reply to your post in the first as not actually relevant to how the press present things. But do carry on taking offence where none is intended.
Fair enough; as no offence was intended then I'll happily apologise for drawing that inference. No problem.

Essentially, I have no dog in this fight. I don't even have a dog tbh. I just thought it was quite a funny gag (admittedly, not hilarious, but just funny), because like all good gags it has a basis in believable truth once the pay-off line is delivered. Its no different from Nick Clegg being portrayed as little more than David Cameron’s fire blanket. Or the Spitting Image puppets that showed David Steele as a tiny figure in David Owen’s jacket pocket (which Steele subsequently blamed for effectively ending him being taken seriously as a creditable political figure). It's always happened.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am extremely disappointed that Ofgem have allowed a 10% rise in the cap on energy prices. I had really hoped this government would clamp down on profiteering.
Ofgem is not fit for purpose.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I am extremely disappointed that Ofgem have allowed a 10% rise in the cap on energy prices. I had really hoped this government would clamp down on profiteering.
Ofgem is not fit for purpose.
Last week, the Tories and the press were berating 'greedy' train drivers for their pay rise - 15% over 3 years, so 5% per year.

Bet we won't hear any Tory condemnation of 'greedy' energy companies and their 10% price increase :angry:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fair enough; as no offence was intended then I'll happily apologise for drawing that inference. No problem.

Essentially, I have no dog in this fight. I don't even have a dog tbh. I just thought it was quite a funny gag (admittedly, not hilarious, but just funny), because like all good gags it has a basis in believable truth once the pay-off line is delivered. Its no different from Nick Clegg being portrayed as little more than David Cameron’s fire blanket. Or the Spitting Image puppets that showed David Steele as a tiny figure in David Owen’s jacket pocket (which Steele subsequently blamed for effectively ending him being taken seriously as a creditable political figure). It's always happened.
It has, but there is a difference between satire and press coverage. It is likely why mainstream services can’t broadcast re-runs of Till Death Do Us Part because so many miss the satire.

It’s a bit like the private note left as a joke between contempories ‘there’s no money left’ was turned into a weapon by the press, convincing a portion of the electorate that the ‘global’ financial crash was Labour’s doing. We experienced Brexit largely through a narrative of lies, project fear was actually project reality.

Fair pay resolutions will be presented as Union power. Sue Gray being a competent chief of staff will be presented as unelected puppet master with all the power. Will be interesting to see how long this narrative arc goes, I doubt it is just a passing gag for the press.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last week, the Tories and the press were berating 'greedy' train drivers for their pay rise - 15% over 3 years, so 5% per year.

Bet we won't hear any Tory condemnation of 'greedy' energy companies and their 10% price increase :angry:
The Ofgem bloke was on Breakfast tv defending saying energy companies should be allowed to make profits!
They're making billions already.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Ofgem bloke was on Breakfast tv defending saying energy companies should be allowed to make profits!
They're making billions already.
It’s a political move.

An indirect attack on Labour to create the impression that Labour has made people’s bills higher.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
It’s a political move.

An indirect attack on Labour to create the impression that Labour has made people’s bills higher.
Good point - and if Labour tried to stop them, they'd be accused of being 'anti-business'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s a political move.

In my opinion, and I don't know how much power the government has with regulators, the Ofgem chap should be sacked with immediate effect and replaced with their own man.
Let's face it, Johnson put his own people in high places.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In my opinion, and I don't know how much power the government has with regulators, the Ofgem chap should be sacked with immediate effect and replaced with their own man.
Let's face it, Johnson put his own people in high places.
This is where I have my reservations about Starmer.

We have seen he can appease unions and work with people already on his side.

Can he push back against those who oppose him?

I am doubtful he has the guts for the fight.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Fair pay resolutions will be presented as Union power. Sue Gray being a competent chief of staff will be presented as unelected puppet master with all the power. Will be interesting to see how long this narrative arc goes, I doubt it is just a passing gag for the press.
Agreed. Controlling the narrative is the key aspect of Westminster politics. It's why Alistair Campbell was such a high profile and pivotal figure in Tony Blair's inner-circle. He'd launch into daily tirades against the Lobby correspondents that would leave hardened news journalists quaking. I don't anticipate the 'Sue Gray' narrative to melt away any time soon, especially as (1) she doesn't have many friends and (2) it is seemingly (certain members) of the the Cabinet who seem intent on giving it legs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here