Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There’s a growing schism within the BMA. Regarding puberty blockers, the leadership have decided they know better than the well received Cass Review, NHS England, members, and 23 current or former clinical leaders at Royal Colleges. This was widely reported.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...allenging-the-bmas-stance-on-puberty-blockers
Indeed there is.
There was a recent letter to the Times from a surgeon in connection with the Cass Review and the BMA leadership. He said, ‘the BMA leaders are a self-serving bunch of political activists who happen to be doctors.’
Another medic’s letter on the same day was equally damning on the stance taken by the BMA on this important matter.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Agreed. Controlling the narrative is the key aspect of Westminster politics. It's why Alistair Campbell was such a high profile and pivotal figure in Tony Blair's inner-circle. He'd launch into daily tirades against the Lobby correspondents that would leave hardened news journalists quaking. I don't anticipate the 'Sue Gray' narrative to melt away any time soon, especially as (1) she doesn't have many friends and (2) it is seemingly (certain members) of the the Cabinet who seem intent on giving it legs.
Isn't it more Morgan McSweeney that's doing it, rather than Cabinet ministers? I note you were a little coy about attributing the leaks/legs.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Indeed there is.
There was a recent letter to the Times from a surgeon in connection with the Cass Review and the BMA leadership. He said, ‘the BMA leaders are a self-serving bunch of political activists who happen to be doctors.’
Another medic’s letter on the same day was equally damning on the stance taken by the BMA on this important matter.
I am, for reasons explored on other threads, increasingly loathe to get involved in political debate on this forum (or any other social media).

But if you are genuinely interested in the nuance (not the politics) of this debate I'd advise reading the piece in the most recent Private Eye by 'MD' (who I believe is actually Phil Hammond). He says that he did sign the letter from a group of doctors expressing concern at the BMA position, but also states that he has sympathy with the BMA position of wanting the continued use of puberty blockers as part of controlled trials. The questions raised by the Cass review (which is critical of much current practice but, from what I have read, definitely not the 'gotcha' many transphobes seem to think), and the responses to it, is really NOT the debate many, on both sides are trying to make it into (pro vs 'anti' Trans rights). It's a debate about what constitutes 'evidenced based' medicine when the evidence base is limited, and how that translates in practice, in the best interests of individual patients, within a highly politcized and highly emotive social context.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
This is where I have my reservations about Starmer.

We have seen he can appease unions and work with people already on his side.

Can he push back against those who oppose him?

I am doubtful he has the guts for the fight.
You don't think the journey he took labour on included pushing back on those who opposed him?
Seriously?

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Here we go again. I have explained numerous times that not all public sector workers should be lumped together.

5.9 million. Almost 2 million of which are employed by local government. We have not been offered 'way above inflation pay rises'.

And even if you look at the public sector as one (the whole 5.9m together).... from the BBC

View attachment 187651

So - a question for you to answer given the above. Why do you believe that public sector workers should suffer yet further below inflation pay rises?
Because they were overpaid originally, under Labour.

As you can see in fig 3

It was time they were brought back inline with there real worth which is all the Tories had done, now labour will inflate them all again when we are still hamstrung from COVID and the fuel crisis.

We are screwed, and Starmer is showing his true colours as predicted by every person old and wise enough to see how this power crazed goon is out of control.

If I was young enough to be having kids now, I would choose not too, as the future in Britain is currently dire, of course unless you are in the public sector lapping up the cream and biscuits.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Why do a search when you can dangle bait on a message board?
It appears you are baiting me.

It was a simply question.

A man that secures the head of CPS didn't get there by chance, he is a very sly man that hides behind his fathers toolmaking credentials, if you ask me.

Just one reason why labour have been tagged with Liebour.

Sir Keir Starmer showing how he can lie with no qualms just weeks after attacking Sunak, on the winter fuel payments and blaming them for a 46 billion pound black hole, this of course is the 20 billion black hole, that he didn't know about. And of course the winter payments he is now ditching.

The meltdown didn't even get a honeymoon.

Do you still trust this power crazed man ?

Does anyone think it is acceptable to spare a child rapist a prison sentence because of over crowding?

Perhaps some could give there opinion on the above Starmer horrors?
As they swerved them on the meltdown thread.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It appears you are baiting me.

It was a simply question.

A man that secures the head of CPS didn't get there by chance, he is a very sly man that hides behind his fathers toolmaking credentials, if you ask me.

Perhaps some could give there opinion on the above Starmer horrors?
As they swerved them on the meltdown thread.
Are you going to carry on whining like this until the next electoin?

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Indeed there is.
AKA The deep state.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Because they were overpaid originally, under Labour.

As you can see in fig 3

It was time they were brought back inline with there real worth which is all the Tories had done, now labour will inflate them all again when we are still hamstrung from COVID and the fuel crisis.

We are screwed, and Starmer is showing his true colours as predicted by every person old and wise enough to see how this power crazed goon is out of control.

If I was young enough to be having kids now, I would choose not too, as the future in Britain is currently dire, of course unless you are in the public sector lapping up the cream and biscuits.
Oh yes. I forgot that for a few short years our pay rose 1.4% above inflation. I agree, I was grossly overpaid. Sorry.

But I'm glad to see we're now well behind the private sector - makes me feel a lot more humble when providing your services to you.

Thanks.

1724417129162.png

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Oh yes. I forgot that for a few short years our pay rose 1.4% above inflation. I agree, I was grossly overpaid. Sorry.

But I'm glad to see we're now well behind the private sector - makes me feel a lot more humble when providing your services to you.

Thanks.

View attachment 187672
Do you know what you maybe behind the private sector for the first time in your life, count yourself lucky, because I could bet your pension and life quality is up there too. Unless you have overspent of course.

The public sector had been smashing the ball out the park, as soon as Blair got in, it wasn't realistic or sustainable, but of course you have negated to show the Blair years.
All those that have strikes so long and hard putting the economy in to a bigger black hole, I have zero sympathy for. The junior Doctors have no empathy with patients. In their roles you need emotional intelligence, which they clearly lack when their patients were being mistreated because of their selfish actions.
I would like to see stats on what the public currently feel about them. Heroes to zeroes I'd say.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Do you know what you maybe behind the private sector for the first time in your life, count yourself lucky, because I could bet your pension and life quality is up there too. Unless you have overspent of course.

The public sector had been smashing the ball out the park, as soon as Blair got in, it wasn't realistic or sustainable, but of course you have negated to show the Blair years.
All those that have strikes so long and hard putting the economy in to a bigger black hole, I have zero sympathy for. The junior Doctors have no empathy with patients. In their roles you need emotional intelligence, which they clearly lack when their patients were being mistreated because of their selfish actions.
I would like to see stats on what the public currently feel about them. Heroes to zeroes I'd say.
Didn't take long to get an idea of public opinion just a quick goggle search and the question was answered. Shows that support has slipped a bit but generally the public are more in support than against their strikes, and those of other public sector workers. Much easier to assume that that the majority of people agree with your viewpoint than to do a bit of research though isn't it.

Last edited:

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Is it the shit stirring?
Hardly, I just think perhaps people can discuss, why Starmer is appearing to be two tier in all he does. Maybe he didn't lie, maybe it's a fake clip, I just want to understand a different view point. Do you have any different view point or do you think he lied?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here