Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just so I know, for future reference; am I poorly informed or uneducated?
I know little of your posting history TBH, but it will be one or the other. Unless you were betting on the markets (some made a packet)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Think we all knew, the Tories burnt the house done and now it needs to be rebuilt. Will take at least a decade
The Tories might have burnt the house down but Starmer has been elected to rebuild it without ruining the economy and making our lives poorer.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nothing to do with caving in to the Unions then?
No. I say this because they've only been in power five minutes.

It's probably fairer to say that it's because the Tories have sold all the family silver down the years including all our utilities, cost us 3-4% by implementing Brexit (badly), wasted billions on useless PPE, crap track and trace systems and lined the pockets of donors with a "fast lane" rather than implementing the usual tendering processes. That sort of thing.

Which bit would you disagree with, or are you just going to continue with the glib comments that don't stand up to scrutiny whatsoever?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No. I say this because they've only been in power five minutes.

It's probably fairer to say that it's because the Tories have sold all the family silver down the years including all our utilities, cost us 3-4% by implementing Brexit (badly), wasted billions on useless PPE, crap track and trace systems and lined the pockets of donors with a "fast lane" rather than implementing the usual tendering processes. That sort of thing.

Which bit would you disagree with, or are you just going to continue with the glib comments that don't stand up to scrutiny whatsoever?
So 'we're skint' due to whatever, yet we can borrow like hell for siginificant pay rises without conditions.

Prior to being elected, they clearly said it wouldn't happen.

Glib enough?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Tories might have burnt the house down but Starmer has been elected to rebuild it without ruining the economy and making our lives poorer.
I agree with this. To be fair to Labour, they said they wouldn't increase tax on the working person (implying no increase on income tax or NI), not that they wouldn't raise taxes at all.

I think they need to pick low hanging fruit on tax that isn't those things. IHT, a clamp down on charity status, corporation tax, and other new taxes all need to be looked at because quite frankly, the Tories have cut so many things to the bare bones that some stuff just doesn't work anymore. Councils across the country (including Tory-run councils) are on the brink of bankruptcy!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So 'we're skint' due to whatever, yet we can borrow like hell for siginificant pay rises without conditions.

Glib enough?
You misunderstand. I don't want you to be glib, I want you to think about what you're writing instead rather than moronically parrotting anti-Labour anti-union bollocks.

You may not have noticed, but under the Tory watch food bank usage has become a staple in British society. There were literally just 35 of them in 2010, 650 in 2013 and thousands of them now. An awful lot of these places are being used by people in work and the public sector is a significant chunk of those.

This government can do something about that in the public sector, whereas food bank usage by those paid in the private sector will need a lot more consideration. Rushing into ill-considered legislation (in this case, around minimum wage or contract law) is the sort of crap you might expect from Reform, not Labour.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Glib enough?
These are some disputes that are effecting the productivity of the nation, like rail strikes. I'm glad they are getting largely settled.

Then there a disputes causing individuals that we trained up (Junior doctors) where people are leaving the country work to in places where they are respected not insulted or ridiculed. These are getting sorted.

This government will need time and they are going to have to also make tough decisions that will be unpopular. But they have 5 years to get popular again, just need to press on ...

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Yep. Let's start by rtemoving the tax breaks and the suibsidies they are given

You want VAT on domestic fuel to rise from 5% to 20% as a way of hitting the oil companies? Don't you think it would have more effect on the domestic consumers than it would on the oil companies, who after all don't get any of that money anyway?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You want VAT on domestic fuel to rise from 5% to 20% as a way of hitting the oil companies? Don't you think it would have more effect on the domestic consumers than it would on the oil companies, who after all don't get any of that money anyway?
Who is suggesting that? We're talking about subsidies on investment for new oil & gas in our territory

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
How much extra are we borrowing for these pay rises?
You'll get no sensible answer I'm afraid. As such, I didn't even bother pointing out that the national debt tripled under the Tories despite all that damaging austerity - and the starting point left by Labour was the main reason they got voted into power in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here