Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Yes, he has such a tough negotiating team backing him up, what could go wrong.🫣
Yes , a team that knows the art of negotiation unlike the Tories who have tried to avoid this for the last two years.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
They're a non-profit organisation (ie. all their income is ultimately spent on their core activity) so they wouldn't pay tax on profits anyway, even if they weren't a charity. As for VAT, businesses don't pay it - their customers do. There is no VAT on rent of agricultural land or on the sale of it for housing, no VAT on rental of housing, no VAT on gifts received from the parishioners, so apart from a bit of VAT income from charging for admission to cathedrals (which would be more than lost for the VAT on repairs to said cathedrals) there would be not much in it for the government to gain.

Same with organisations like the RSPCA, though in a smaller way - they have assets of about a quarter of a billion, I believe. But they don't pay tax.

“They're a non-profit organisation (ie. all their income is ultimately spent on their core activity”:

Tell that to the parishioners of every church in the land that are told to cough up to pay for their vicar and church repairs or their church will be sold off. Tell that to the vicars that receive a pittance. Tell that to the thousands of church employees around the world trading the church assets and earning six figure salaries and bonuses. Tell that to the farmers that are evicted without compensation when the church receive millions for housing development but pay no capital gains.

Their net work increases by hundreds of millions annually (see their public accounts). So ‘not for profit’ is a smokescreen at best

And why does a religious org get this status anyway? We expect Amazon to pay tax, why not the church.

All the above written by someone with a faith by the way.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
This doesn't really make sense. Regardless of how hard one has to (physically) work, pay is ultimately the determinant of how desirable a job is.

The key is that Eastern European migrants had a lower threshold of what is acceptable pay for the role, and thus filled the available jobs. Make the pay £1,000/day and there'd be a queue of locals demanding the work.

Obviously an extreme figure but you are right in that there would be a queue on day one but nobody back on day two.
Honestly, this is the reality in practice and why fruit and veg farmers are planting less and the country is importing more. If the solution was as simple as paying more, I can guarantee those producers would find a way to do so rather than see their businesses wound up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
“They're a non-profit organisation (ie. all their income is ultimately spent on their core activity”:

Tell that to the parishioners of every church in the land that are told to cough up to pay for their vicar and church repairs or their church will be sold off. Tell that to the vicars that receive a pittance. Tell that to the thousands of church employees around the world trading the church assets and earning six figure salaries and bonuses. Tell that to the farmers that are evicted without compensation when the church receive millions for housing development but pay no capital gains.

Their net work increases by hundreds of millions annually (see their public accounts). So ‘not for profit’ is a smokescreen at best

And why does a religious org get this status anyway? We expect Amazon to pay tax, why not the church.

nothing there contradicts the point of them being run as non-profit. also sounds a lot like other charities. plead for money, pay people low rates and, hopefully, spend the difference on their cause.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If it were on the other foot, I'd swear that you and 'H' had been separated at birth ....just shows you never can tell.

That would have been a great response had myself and @Harry Wilson's tackle not been accessing NSC for the last 20 odd years without hiding behind VPNs or having given all our separate bank details to NSC to support it and keep it running.

Had it not been for all that, it would have been a brilliant response :laugh:

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
That would have been a great response had myself and @Harry Wilson's tackle not been constantly using VPNs or given all our separate bank details to NSC to support it and keep it running. Had it not been for that, it would have been a brilliant response :laugh:
Just an observation mate, oddly I don't post for some sort of adulation.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
Yes , a team that knows the art of negotiation unlike the Tories who have tried to avoid this for the last two years.
🤔 Perhaps a black hole in the finances could have a part to play in that, would it really be responsible to to give the massive pay rises they are asking for. Much respect has been lost for the greed public sector, this will only get worse when labour keep "saying how much would you like".

The art in negotiations are both parties being happy with the outcome, as a tax payer I ain't happy labour are splashing the cash and showing unions galore what a soft soft weak touch Starmer is.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

I'm not going to disagree that they waste an awful lot of money by spending it on the wrong things and people. Nor am I going to argue that they shouldn't be storing up treasure on earth. All am saying is that's why they don't pay tax, for the same reasons as the RSPCA don't pay tax and community sports clubs don't pay tax, albeit on a vastly larger scale.

Evicting tenant farmers to build houses, surely is Labour party policy nowadays? ;) Evicting them to build solar farms certainly is.

Reactions: abc

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
We have to face up to the fact there are a lot of people in this country that are easily persuaded to act against their own interests.

I would say poorly informed rather than uneducated
Just so I know, for future reference; am I poorly informed or uneducated?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The likes of BP and Shell invest f**k all in renewables, circa 3-4%

They can have tax breaks to invest in these but not inefficient fossil fuels. If we lose a few fossil fuel jobs so be it.
Yep. Let's start by rtemoving the tax breaks and the suibsidies they are given

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here