Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, I’m simply looking forward to switching on the news and and not seeing a slew of Tory sleaze, corruption, and criminality.

There are many individuals in that party who are lucky not to be sitting in jail right now. It’s shame none of them will ever truly be brought to justice.

Still, onwards and upwards.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I’ll just the Labour government on the following in five years:

1) Have they controlled immigration - I don’t want none, but given 500k leave every year I don’t want more than 600k coming in

2) Can they solve the housing crisis - majorly linked to 1) I suspect

3) Can they get the health care system working properly? Will I be able see my GP when I want?

4) Is the economy stable?

5) Is the tax system fair?

6) Have they protected the green belt?

7) is the country secure from cyber and physical threats from other countries?

8) Have England won the World Cup?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My natural cynical trait thinks that pretty much all politicians are fvcking useless and just looking after themselves.
Whereas my natural instinct is to believe a lot of the world’s problems are unsolvable, but I just don’t want my government to make them worse!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

1) Have they controlled immigration - I don’t want none, but given 500k leave every year I don’t want more than 600k coming in

3) Can they get the health care system working properly? Will I be able see my GP when I want?

600k is the NET annual inwards migration. 685k in 2023, before Ukraine/HK, already 500k per annum.

IMG_2362.png

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
IFS and others have warned strongly against borrowing whether its dressed up as investment or not, the global markets will target the UK as they did with Trussonomics.

Shirley taxation? For example IHT, more council tax bands at the upper end.

I am currently a third of the way through a book recommended by someone on here, entitled “Vassal State” - if it is correct and up to date, the best thing we could do for our taxes is to prevent sales/revenue/expenses being routed through low tax economies such as Luxembourg/Netherlands.

If we insisted that all costs/revenues/profits made on sales to UK consumers appeared on a UK subsidiary”s books, we’d easily be able to afford public services to a high standard. Equally, most payments of all kinds are routed through Visa/Mastercard/Apple Pay/Google Wallet/Paypal/Worldpay - all US corporations taking a cut. Taxing them would again be a huge help.

I believe we paid a tax rebate to Amazon recently, despite them having sales in the billions. Until we stop getting used as a cash cow to be milked by US interests, we’re probably f***ed whoever’s in charge.

I’m not against foreign investment, but America itself (and most other countries) don’t reciprocate. Would like to see us take an assertive (but not aggressive) stance on our best companies being sold wholesale and listed elsewhere.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I stupidly read some of the comments under the BBC video of Starmer’s speech and I just wonder where people get their opinions from, it does not seemed to be based on anything factual. I have see with my own eyes the damage the Tories have done since they have been in power. I have no real idea how the next five years will workout as I don’t have a crystal ball that others seem to have. I just have hope for the first time in a long time things may get a little bit better instead of a lot worse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am currently a third of the way through a book recommended by someone on here, entitled “Vassal State” - if it is correct and up to date, the best thing we could do for our taxes is to prevent sales/revenue/expenses being routed through low tax economies such as Luxembourg/Netherlands.

If we insisted that all costs/revenues/profits made on sales to UK consumers appeared on a UK subsidiary”s books, we’d easily be able to afford public services to a high standard. Equally, most payments of all kinds are routed through Visa/Mastercard/Apple Pay/Google Wallet/Paypal/Worldpay - all US corporations taking a cut. Taxing them would again be a huge help.

I believe we paid a tax rebate to Amazon recently, despite them having sales in the billions. Until we stop getting used as a cash cow to be milked by US interests, we’re probably f***ed whoever’s in charge.

I’m not against foreign investment, but America itself (and most other countries) don’t reciprocate. Would like to see us take an assertive (but not aggressive) stance on our best companies being sold wholesale and listed elsewhere.

I’ve always said something similar, @Machiavelli is very knowledgeable on these things. Lux/Ireland/Netherlands are taking the p with ultra low CT rates for foreign multinationals. It’s the jobs and employment taxes they’re after. The EU forced Ireland to raise a multi €b charge on (was it Apple or MS), but Ireland don’t want to upset their corporate buddy, so it sits forever in an escrow account.

The cooperation is improving.

But my interim solution is a sales tax on online retailers over a threshold on UK sales.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I am very disappointed with their achievements so far.

No end to wars in Ukraine or Gaza, NHS and social care still crap, boats filling the beaches, no improved post Brexit deal, shit still in rivers, highways full of potholes.....

Starmer OUT.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

No7 is a lost cause as they want to steamroller through planning applications for greenbelt land which are being held up

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am very disappointed with their achievements so far.

No end to wars in Ukraine or Gaza, NHS and social care still crap, boats filling the beaches, no improved post Brexit deal, shit still in rivers, highways full of potholes.....

Starmer OUT.
And there is this now FFS!!

This is exaclty what Richie warned us about. Labour is a part time party, why can’t they meet the doctors tomorrow or on Sunday and don’t tell they is all at church cos Starmer is an ethicist.
What if my nan was going to die on Sunday. They’d still wait to make the doctors do doctoring again next week. typical lazy Labour.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
A friendly post back at you, I don’t think your modest pension and savings will be adversely hit. I like to read up on financial matters.

As a very small business owner, I expect to pay more in taxes. If it’s fair, if they close loopholes for people who don’t play by the rules, I’ll accept that. We need vastly better mental health services, affordable homes for example.

It if helps my young adult offspring one day own a home, that’ll be a result for me. Imho Tory, LD and Green councillors and nimbies all conspired to create an impasse in planning permissions. Always; not round here, why not up north? Selfish. If Labour fix that, they would’ve done a good job.
Has the South-East been completely concreted over yet or are there still a few fields and woodlands left to build on?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Hopes:

- Investment in infrastructure
- Reduction in economic inequality
- Reduction of unskilled foreign labour
- Greater regulation of utility companies
- Reduction of tax avoidance by rich people and companies

Expectations:

- Not a lot will change
- Labour involved in some kind of internal scandal
- A war or something else will f*** things up
- Conservatives back in in five years
Do Albanian drug dealers and pimps count as skilled or unskilled?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here