Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In 1945 Labour won a landslide and had a majority of 145. In 1950 this was reduced to about 5. Labour called another snap election in 1951 and the Tories got back in with a majority of about 20. (I think. Must google it!) And that was in the days when party support wasn't as volatile as it is now.
Labour won the majority of votes in 1951 though. I think they're pretty savvy about maximising votes now. They've been really astute at winning seats despite a low percentage of votes.

As for the future, I think it will depend on how the Tories shift. If they go further right, they could struggle.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Just watched SK's speech. Indistinguishable in content, tone and authenticity of delivery from Liz Truss and the recent Tory public schoolboys... They are all the same.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Well I thought they were supposed to improve our relationship with the foreign Johnny's in the E.U. and have just arrived in Meñorca and had to stump up €200 "tourist tax" ...WTF!
Starmer out!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Where's my money for nothing as my sister in law who has never worked is convinced she will now get more under Labour
You won’t get a penny until you’ve moved these refrigerators and colour TVs

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Let's see what policies emerge that weren't in the Labour Party manifesto.

There was much to support that was revealed in the manifesto, and a few bits and pieces in there that I shall take the time to write to my (new Liberal) MP to clarify that I don't support. Do write to your MP if you have an opinion about something - the worse that'll happen is that they'll disagree with you, but at least they'll know that their constituents have opinions. :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just watched SK's speech. Indistinguishable in content, tone and authenticity of delivery from Liz Truss and the recent Tory public schoolboys... They are all the same.
There was a massive difference. He mentioned all four nations, something notably absent from previous PMs. It wasn't surprising that the Tories got absolutely rinsed in Wales and lost seats in Scotland too. Labour did particularly well up there. That's something refreshing to see

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I like the idea of a ‘ Corruption Czar’

The graft and blatant corruption of the past 14 years should be punished.
I will be very disappointed if this is either watered down or dropped completely.

I’m not holding my breath though.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
The Tories have been smashed, hopefully the govt won't make the same mistake as France and track right to placate the Reform vote.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Makes me sick that Labouring in power with a third of the vote yet 14.3% vote Reform and they have more votes than Lib Dums yet the Reform party get 4 MPs and Lib Dums 71, but I PMSL at the greenie thinking they are on level platform with Reform, you may have 4 MPs but how many ppl voted for you? How many voted Reform? System is broken. The country is in complete chaos now just wait for more train strikes, strikes all over the place, higher taxes. Fantastic to see Farage back as an MP thoroughly deserved.

Nicks

1000008474.jpg
1000008474.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Just as I thought…. Nothings changed.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Half the votes cast were right wing votes only a third lefties yet these loonies on the left govern.
where are those figures from?

Labour+Lib Dem+SNP+Sinn Fein+Green+Plaid Cymru+SDLP+Alliance ( left or centre left parties)=55% of the vote, not including the independent candidates who are mostly left

Tories+Reform+DUP+UUP+TUV=about 40% of the vote

so even taking into account the really fringe parties who didn't get any MP's, can't see how half the votes cast were right wing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here