Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Tried staying up all night to bask in a supermajority Labour win ! Didn’t get far past the exit poll forecast, relaxed and fell asleep and only managed to wake up a couple of times to observe the progress. This morning I feel like it’s 1997 all over again but this time I am confident that the party in power is full of adult politicians with a mandate to improve the life of all citizens in our country.

What more could we as a nation need after the last fourteen years of greed, dishonesty, lies, unfairness etc. I reach my three score and ten next week and hope I can live long enough to see SKS. Restore our country to a place with a future. No need anymore of our politics of envy, this time we are really all in this together, we start with a clean slate and our country will be what we want it to be.
We have woken up to a future together, its up to all of us to grasp this future and make our land a better place for us all.

Apart from that I feel f*cking great.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Where's my money for nothing as my sister in law who has never worked is convinced she will now get more under Labour

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It's day one of Labour. The Conservatives were never going to survive, whoever the opposition and rightly so. Labour seems to have the Gordon Brown approach. ' I won't increase income tax, but everything else is fair game.' Their selling point is change. So how's it going for you today? As a retired homeowner with modest pension and savings, I don't expect to fare well economically. But what about the NHS, education, welfare, the environment, immigration, employment and the rest, all of which impact me less directly (apart from the NHS!). Like anyone with a family though, I worry for my children's present and future and my grandchildren's futures. This might be a good home to post how the changes affect you over the next 5 years. Will the mood of optimism be justified or will Labour just be another sh1tshow? Will the lack of a credible opposition be a good thing or a bad thing? Don't bother with the rhetorical questions or post back at me. I just thought it would be interesting to have one thread for how life has has improved or otherwise for us under Labour over the next 5 years.
There is no magic wand, no magic money tree and nowhere near enough money to properly fund required spending.

So plenty of tough choices will need to be made.

Borrowing, tax rises or growth are the only 3 available options to change anything.

The latter being the best and least politically problematic.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Looking at the voting numbers, Keir Starmer will have his work cut out to get a second term. I hope he does, as the combined vote of the conservatives and Reform is still more than Labour.

Sadly, I suspect the UK will follow the rest of Western Europe.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The sun is shining, I got a 2 in the Wordle, picked up some Estrella Galicia at 35 cents a can, grabbed a bounty of fish/seafood for a Portuguese stew, and only have an hour and half of work today. Oh, and there's a feast of football on later. All is well 😎

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
It's been raining all morning and also just checked my bank balance and no better off under this Labour government. I did warn you 😏

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I genuinely can't remember the last time the morning walk with the dog took place in the pissing rain, but today it was lashing it down.

As a result, instead of the usual 60-75 minutes out on the Downs, we had about 25 minutes closer to home.

As we squelched our way back, my faithful friend gave me a look that clearly meant "What the f*** - was that it?" to which I could only reply "Starmer innit, and you better get used to it."
Just wait until they introduce their “15 minute city” regime. That’ll curtail his fun. 😡

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah there will be the inevitable newspaper articles, social media posts, threads on here etc, probably only after a few weeks, saying "Well what about Starmer and this Labour government eh? Eh? Nothing's got better, in fact I would say it's got worse!"

And sadly, yeah, those that want/expect Britain to turn into an economic and social paradise WILL be disappointed. And yeah if expectations are raised too high then the Tories could get back in in five years time. There is a precedent. In 1945 Labour won a landslide and had a majority of 145. In 1950 this was reduced to about 5. Labour called another snap election in 1951 and the Tories got back in with a majority of about 20. (I think. Must google it!) And that was in the days when party support wasn't as volatile as it is now.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There is no magic wand, no magic money tree and nowhere near enough money to properly fund required spending.

So plenty of tough choices will need to be made.

Borrowing, tax rises or growth are the only 3 available options to change anything.

The latter being the best and least politically problematic.

IFS and others have warned strongly against borrowing whether its dressed up as investment or not, the global markets will target the UK as they did with Trussonomics.

Shirley taxation? For example IHT, more council tax bands at the upper end.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I genuinely hope the optimism carries on for those who voted Starmer in :thumbsup:

He deserves a shot at it and if he’s got as many solutions and answers as he’s been suggesting we are in for a great ride.

One thing though, will he now stop sniping at the Tories in every interview and just get on with the job? That part of him really pissed me off.

He has yet to convince me but I am hoping he does.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
England only ever win major tournaments under Labour governments. It's a sign.

Also, Albion are undefeated under Starmer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I genuinely hope the optimism carries on for those who voted Starmer in :thumbsup:

He deserves a shot at it and if he’s got as many solutions and answers as he’s been suggesting we are in for a great ride.

One thing though, will he now stop sniping at the Tories in every interview and just get on with the job? That part of him really pissed me off.

He has yet to convince me but I am hoping he does.
That won't change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here