Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
MP's marking their own homework on expenses... perhaps they should ask the man on the Clapham Omnibus what they think of it?
The man on the Clapham Omnibus is likely against it, as am I, but it's happened with every single parliament that I can remember. What I can't remember is a Labour manifesto pledge to change it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Then I expect that’s exactly what a parliamentary standards committee will find him guilty of any time now.

*drums fingers*
pretty sure standards committee dont actually mind what the interest is, as long as its registered. it's Starmer who has decided in this case to give a reason that is a bit dubious. should have stuck with the original Labour HQ, less further questions. he's been misleading, some think it doesn't matter, others think it does. eitherway a unforced error.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Do you happen to have a copy of the wine list?

Might use it as a source for my cellar.
Chateau D'Reims 2016. I'm guessing that will be very much to your taste.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Chateau D'Reims 2016. I'm guessing that will be very much to your taste.
I tried a case of this, but it was far too bitter

WvUqh_o3RO2PLX_LsUx4qw.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But all you’re doing is rubbishing the genuine stuff and lumping it in with the Popbitch gossip.

I can’t be arsed to look back, but I can 99.99% assume that, for instance, when David Cameron was being accused of sticking his dick in a dead pig’s head, you were likely fully on board with that shite.

Right now they’re/he‘s getting a kicking from all sides because his popularity in and out of the party has tanked, and there will be false rumour, innuendo and so on because of it.

It’s a shyster move; latch onto the untrue bit and use it as an excuse to pooh-pooh all the legitimate complaints. Hone in on specifics with double-speak and arguing points not claimed.

I want Starmer to turn it around for the sake of the country, and to prevent the Tories coming back next election, but he’s going to have to completely change practically everything he says and done from hereon.

Whatever he’s doing now, do the exact opposite

Occasionally a discussion starts to break out on here about the level at which the cut off for Winter Fuel Allowance has been set, by far the single most important thing raised on this whole thread. But within the hour it is, as you rightly point out, lost in amongst the Popbitch Gossip :shrug:

PS. I'm pretty sure your are 99.99% wrong in your assumption. I think the only thing you'll find I have criticised Cameron for on NSC was his attempt to cover the cracks in his party by coming up with a national referendum although even in that, he told people the right thing to do. That went well :laugh:

Last edited:

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Emotive language of prejudice. ‘Finest wines’, ‘the country’s ticket’, ‘the plebs’, ‘banged up on house arrest’. That’s why it was a silly comment.

The social gatherings between colleagues to mark people leaving etc have been turned into something akin to great banquets and raucous piss-ups by those in whose interest it was to portray them that way. Some SNP twit talked about the PM “tripping the light fantastic” and “disco dancing into the wee small hours” during some HoC debate. Tellingly, he refused to repeat the language once outside the chamber, beyond protection.

And didn’t one of the 5 MPs on the Privileges Committee investigating Johnson turn out to have held a drinks reception himself mid-lockdown. I just can’t stand hypocrisy, whoever’s doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: abc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Emotive language of prejudice. ‘Finest wines’, ‘the country’s ticket’, ‘the plebs’, ‘banged up on house arrest’. That’s why it was a silly comment.

The social gatherings between colleagues to mark people leaving etc have been turned into something akin to great banquets and raucous piss-ups by those in whose interest it was to portray them that way. Some SNP twit talked about the PM “tripping the light fantastic” and “disco dancing into the wee small hours” during some HoC debate. Tellingly, he refused to repeat the language once outside the chamber, beyond protection.

And didn’t one of the 5 MPs on the Privileges Committee investigating Johnson turn out to have held a drinks reception himself mid-lockdown. I just can’t stand hypocrisy, whoever’s doing it.
Yes, absolutely all writing should be functional and to the point. What great literature we'd have. What interesting speeches and debates. What great telly.

:facepalm:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
pretty sure standards committee dont actually mind what the interest is, as long as its registered. it's Starmer who has decided in this case to give a reason that is a bit dubious. should have stuck with the original Labour HQ, less further questions. he's been misleading, some think it doesn't matter, others think it does. eitherway a unforced error.
I’d like to think they would care if there was a conflict of interest and it wasn’t addressed.

A few years back I had to tell a salesman that even though he did the right thing and declare it to Compliance, that he couldn’t go to Centre Parcs for the week as a broker who was submitting sizeable business to us had offered him the chalet as “he couldn’t make it” we said no politely as it wasn’t appropriate and sends the wrong message.

Guess what, he went anyway and we found out and had to sack him for gross misconduct, harsh maybe but this the standard we are regulated to in financial services, I’d expect members of parliament and UKG to be of a even higher standard.

N.B I should make clear that I am
Not suggesting any wrong doing has occurred, simply that the right level
Of scrutiny and mechanisms shouldn’t be in place to counter this.

Last edited:

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Yes, absolutely all writing should be functional and to the point. What great literature we'd have. What interesting speeches and debates. What great telly.

:facepalm:
Bloody hell, you're doing it again. My complaint about your hyperbolic, blinkered bullshit is now turned into me wanting to eliminate 'great literature'.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Bloody hell, you're doing it again. My complaint about your hyperbolic, blinkered bullshit is now turned into me wanting to eliminate 'great literature'.
OK Boomer.

You said you hate hypocrisy and you're defending Johnson. I can't take you seriously.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think it was widely known that Case would be leaving at the end of the year.

I think it is also widely known who accidentally leaked details about Sue Gray’s salary.

I also hear that far from being over, Sue Gray’s problems are only just beginning.

>Insert pointless winking emoji<

Well keep us updated :thumbsup:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Agree with a fair bit of that but not ALL of it. Starmer is different. He's not misleading parliament. He's not breaking laws he himself made. He's being given things he's allowed to be given and declaring them and he's being given protection in the Directors Box at Arsenal, where you cannot buy a seat.

The right wing press are equating that exactly to the last government and I'm pointing out it's not even in the same ballpark. People are falling for it though, which is why NSC's shy Tories keep quiet when Prince William gets protection and director's seats at Villa but not when the country's elected PM gets the same.

When he misleads Parliament and when he breaks his own laws I will condemn him over and over again and I will switch my vote to Green or Lib Dem.

But he hasn't.
I am more concerned that Sue Grey who conducted COVID enquiry is now a senior adviser to PM. Person who did NHS enquiury is an ex Labour minister
Sue Greys son who is an MP has beeen given a senior position. Understand Civil Service who have an important role have had 2 senior people replaced by obvious Labour supprters. Will be interesting who replces top civil servant Simon Case

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am more concerned that Sue Grey who conducted COVID enquiry is now a senior adviser to PM. Person who did NHS enquiury is an ex Labour minister
Sue Greys son who is an MP has beeen given a senior position. Understand Civil Service who have an important role have had 2 senior people replaced by obvious Labour supprters. Will be interesting who replces top civil servant Simon Case

Isn’t the top mandarin usually an apolitical appointment and individual? I’ve never heard otherwise.

Hopefully Starmer sticks to that.

I would hate the UK to go down the Washington DC route of political appointments to agencies/civil service when in power.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
It's a 3,500 grant. Assuming that's per year the maths are pretty simple.
Don't you think that this has potential to go all WFP. The cut off will be just as steep. Also, it seems wrong to determine the level of debt an 18 year old (adult) will have on the basis of their parent(s) income. There will still be the option for many who have divorced parents to "live" with the one who has the lowest income, that's what many do now to get a sufficiently large loan to live on.

If you look at mandleson's other recomendations it include larger class sizes (280 in mine this year) and reducing or abandoning research.

I think these piecemeal announcements and hints don't really point to a holistic and realistic policy. It's just a sticking plaster.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Isn’t the top mandarin usually an apolitical appointment and individual? I’ve never heard otherwise.

Hopefully Starmer sticks to that.

I would hate the UK to go down the Washington DC route of political appointments to agencies/civil service when in power.
The last two were Principal Private Secretaries to Johnson and Blair, who appointed them in turn to the role. We didn’t actually have one at all between 2012 and 2020.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Don't you think that this has potential to go all WFP. The cut off will be just as steep. Also, it seems wrong to determine the level of debt an 18 year old (adult) will have on the basis of their parent(s) income. There will still be the option for many who have divorced parents to "live" with the one who has the lowest income, that's what many do now to get a sufficiently large loan to live on.

If you look at mandleson's other recomendations it include larger class sizes (280 in mine this year) and reducing or abandoning research.

I think these piecemeal announcements and hints don't really point to a holistic and realistic policy. It's just a sticking plaster.
Then we should definitely do nothing and let Universities go bust and poor kids rack up unmanageable debt. That would certainly be better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here