Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Declaring £16000 worth of designer clothes and £2500 for sexy glasses from Lord Alli as 'private office expenses' seems to fit the bill too.
Are these for, er, Victoria? Asking for a friend.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is a huge difference between the royals accepting freebies and the PM. The royals are figureheads and do not set or even influence policy. The PM sets policy and every freebie is given to get his ear and gain nfluence
I think you need to go and read up on Charlie’s past.He has a history of poking his nose into things.

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
Net inwards migration was 685k in 2023, the ONS project a UK population of 74m in 12 years time. There needs to be a strategy to get the working age population trained and working. The german model is the one to follow, many have known that for an age, but little happens.
It’s true that we have known this for years and nothing has been done properly. There has been talk of apprenticeships but I have not seen this followed through. This is not new, going back to before the last World War. As a country we have always valued University degrees far more than Engineering skills. To the best of my knowledge Germany has almost been the opposite which we obviously sneered at. It’s a culture thing and I can’t see it changing any time soon.

I am too old to care very much but I do feel sad for the world that my grandchildren, and indeed, great grandchildren have inherited. It is what it is.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Then we should definitely do nothing and let Universities go bust and poor kids rack up unmanageable debt. That would certainly be better.
I can tell you've really made an effort to understand the issues in higher education, you have your finger on the pulse with this one. Well done (y)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s true that we have known this for years and nothing has been done properly. There has been talk of apprenticeships but I have not seen this followed through. This is not new, going back to before the last World War. As a country we have always valued University degrees far more than Engineering skills. To the best of my knowledge Germany has almost been the opposite which we obviously sneered at. It’s a culture thing and I can’t see it changing any time soon.

I am too old to care very much but I do feel sad for the world that my grandchildren, and indeed, great grandchildren have inherited. It is what it is.

The apprenticeships system was set up, but employers largely ignore it for genuine skilled roles. I know this for a fact for stuff like construction, computer industry. Openings incredibly rare.

Just guessing … the very British thing of greed and jam today. Better to take on doers to make money on day one at minimum wage, than invest over three or four years in conjunction with a tertiary education institute.

Requires firm government intervention, strategic planning and money.

I know and know of blokes who went to Brighton Technical College in the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s who went on to become highly skilled electrical engineers and similar. Bright people who’d originally just missed out on the 11+ a few years earlier.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
30 days until the budget. What joyous treats are in store?
Hopefully an announcement that we're going back to imperial measurements, as during a discussion with my friend earlier we realised that we wouldn't have a clue how to ask for a '1/4' of fizzy cola bottles in metric. :unsure:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Sort of reminds me an actor I worked with, two professional credits at this point (a touring play out of a van (think Legz Akimbo), and a pantomime) boasting about their career… to a very experienced West End leading man with 20+ years in the business and multiple awards. He nodded and smiled politely inbetween discreet eye rolls at the director :lol:

The likes of Mourinho can get away with reminding people of their record when they’ve done so much in the game.

The likes of Graham Potter cannot…

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

2 years at college learning plumbing, for the final 3rd year to become 'qualified' you have to take on a apprenticeship. Apprenticeships min wages are £6.40ph at aged 18. Min wage ph at 18 for those not in an apprenticeship is £8.60.
Why would any kid in their right mind want to leave college and potentially earn the wage of an under 18 by going into an apprenticeship? Literally 2 years wasted because they'll earn more money working anywhere else at the age of 18, than getting an apprenticeship to finish their qualifications.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It’s very easy to resolve pay disputes in the short term by simply giving people what they're demanding. The reason this is a very bad, short-termist idea will become apparent quite soon. I won’t spoil it for you. Just wait and see.
I think what the unions were asking for wasn't unreasonable, and anyway you have to get Britain back to work to get the economy going again. There is a cost if you do nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here