Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "if Poyet leaves, the next Albion manager should be..." thread

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
would need to be Spanish speaker for me who can carry on the same football style as currently employed. Not sure what everyone sees in Robinson at MK. Big budget and failed to get them up and Di canio would not meet Bloom requirements I feel. I wait to be pleasantly surprised

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
i dont doubt adkins isnt a bad manager at all, hes has some form and gives the impression he is disciplined with the players etc, but has everyone forgotton what a complete prat he was when southampton were trying to get promoted with us in league 1, the bloke made himself look a complete **** with his comments, he did take the banter we gave him with good grace but i do wonder why someone does that and also why everyone would think he would be able to keep the team playing like gus does, i have doubts.

di matteo is the obvious choice if the gus philosophy is to be continued, although i would be concerned about discipline withint the team becuase he does seem to come across as a bit soft.

what no-one has really discussed on here though is the sulllible fact that if gus goes, he will surely attempt to bring the best players weve got to reading, i.e, ulloa, bridge, bridcutt etc , so not only will we lose our manager we could end up losing the spine of the team

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just signed a 5 year deal with Brentford, so unless we are prepared to pay a lot of compensation, wrong choice. But could prolly do a job.

Contract schmontract.
The other interesting thing is that isn't the Brentford chairman a "friend" of TB - they had a LARGE wager on our game at Griffin Park IIRC.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Tanno would follow Gus......Di Matteo for me...

Genuinely don't get the RDM popularity. Was he a highly rated manager prior to going to Chelsea? Didn't he just pick up and finish the job there, same players, same playing style, lots of senior players who knew the drill?

Sort of did Chelsea win the Champions League with Di Matteo or did Di Matteo win the Champions League with Chelsea?

When you look at what Clarke has done at West Brom, and if my memory serves me well, it's way more than RDM (I think!)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Genuinely don't get the RDM popularity. Was he a highly rated manager prior to going to Chelsea? Didn't he just pick up and finish the job there, same players, same playing style, lots of senior players who knew the drill?

Sort of did Chelsea win the Champions League with Di Matteo or did Di Matteo win the Champions League with Chelsea?

When you look at what Clarke has done at West Brom, and if my memory serves me well, it's way more than RDM (I think!)

He got WBA up from the championship

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Wouldn't mind Di Matteo but would he actually want it ? maybe OGS ?

Luis Enrique has been linked with the Reading job, would he be a good like for like replacement ? I don't know much about him as a manager apart from he did reasonably well at Barca B and then spent a bit of time at Roma

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He would totally lose the players if this happens, just wait and see.
He plays games with very important things, with no regard for anyone else, maybe this is the way in South America and he sees no problem with it.
It's like blackmail I think.

What a load of utter bollocks. You have absolutely no idea what is going on, so why pretend that you do? No doubt there is a clause in his contract saying if a Premier League club makes an approach then we have to let them speak to him. What sort of manager would he be if he didn't listen to what they have to say? I know I would. Doesn't mean he's going to take it, and quite how that amounts to blackmail, I have no idea.

I can't believe anyone would seriously suggest Di Canio. You must either be having a laugh or seriously know nothing about football. Well not anything over a few years old anyway...The guy is a 100% prick and will be a disaster waiting to happen wherever he goes.

Spot on kev. As usual ;)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Inigo Calderon with support from an experienced English manager (Brian McDermott comes to mind) and Charlie Oatway

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
What a load of utter bollocks. You have absolutely no idea what is going on, so why pretend that you do? No doubt there is a clause in his contract saying if a Premier League club makes an approach then we have to let them speak to him. What sort of manager would he be if he didn't listen to what they have to say? I know I would. Doesn't mean he's going to take it, and quite how that amounts to blackmail, I have no idea.

Spot on kev. As usual ;)

I am as informed as the next bloke and everyone is entitled to an opinion whether you like it or not, so like or lump it.
Resorting to swearing exposes intellectual inadequacies in my book.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What a load of old crap...This theory that football has changed, is complete rubbish. It's a game played by 11 men against 11 men, on a grass pitch with a goal at either end, it's not open heart surgery. He is a football man and has been all his life and has the Albion connection to boot.....Gus is a perfect example of the modern, forward thinking manager....what happened Sunday, back to basic two wingers and oh, surprise surprise.....Football is a simple game, it's only the idiots that try and over complicate it.

Idiots like Guardiola / Mourinho etc eh? Sorry kev but that is nonsense. Football HAS changed, and the failure of this country to realise it is the reason we can't get close to winning an international tournament. Why do you think that the top (and in fact, your average) Spanish players are so much better than ours? Because they were born in Spain so are naturally good footballers? Or because of the way they were taught the game from a young age? Which answer makes more logical sense, do you think?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Kev the the greatest respect that is apersonal and not a football opinion. He was a massively successful player and has been a massive success in his first managerial job.
Nutter...yes, strange political views yes, good football manager, so far yes.

But curbishley for me

Di Canio is a loud mouth bully. He might get away with it with his Sunday League players but with any player of quality and/or on the up they'd tell him to do one and bugger off. It was the Reading players that were up in arms when he was suggested for them, as reported. He'd be a disaster.

Not sure about Curbs either, almost like coming out of retirement!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am as informed as the next bloke and everyone is entitled to an opinion whether you like it or not, so like or lump it.
Resorting to swearing exposes intellectual inadequacies in my book.

Well perhaps you should form your opinions on what you actually know, rather than what you just wildly speculate to be true, then they'll be more valid.

And according to the new NSC swear filter, I didn't swear.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
am i the only one that phoned 0891 44 00 66 to see if the albion club line was still going ( better still, the tape from the 90's) ???

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Idiots like Guardiola / Mourinho etc eh? Sorry kev but that is nonsense. Football HAS changed, and the failure of this country to realise it is the reason we can't get close to winning an international tournament. Why do you think that the top (and in fact, your average) Spanish players are so much better than ours? Because they were born in Spain so are naturally good footballers? Or because of the way they were taught the game from a young age? Which answer makes more logical sense, do you think?

I think foreign players being cheaper to buy is a lot of the reason there is a lack of talented English players about atm.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
From your resident AFCB lurker....some interesting suggestions, Martinez though? I hope that was tongue in cheek, very unrealistic.

Main point though was Karl Robinson. Seen the lge 1 table recently? His rep is going down the pan at a great rate of knots. Completely overrated and surrounded by more experience to help him. They play boring 'crab' football backwards and forwards across the pitch with no end product. And employ thugs as forwards too (Lowe). Thankfully Tommy is back to fitness now.

Think RDM or Adkins best, both got clubs promoted to the prem. still think Poyet would be mad to leave though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here