Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
But I suspect the BBC could have spent money promoting the T20 blast and got the same result.
this is exactly my thought. There was basically no domestic cricket on terrestrial tv for years and years and all of a sudden the BBC are happy to stick this crock of shit on

the t20 blast could have been shown in some capacity on BBC. Even a highlights show would have been a start, but nothing.

The Hundred completely takes a sledgehammer to the domestic season. If the counties are struggling financially then who exactly is going to have the money to identify and coach/develop the next generation of England players?! The whole thing is madness

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why are there 2 London teams? Surely 1 for each city is enough?
Population of London being more than double that of any other host city I guess, plus two genuinely world class venues. There are rumours at the end of the next cycle potentially two new teams may enter the tournament. I would guess one would be in Scotland (Scottish Claymores) and possibly one in the South West (Bristol Revolution has been mooted, which would be a better local derby than our current rivalry with the Welsh Fire).

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
This is where I'm at with it, and my youngest son. But I suspect the BBC could have spent money promoting the T20 blast and got the same result. Blocking out all of August for this competition is just dumb.

Has domestic cricket really ever been anything other than a mess run by incompetent clowns?
The problem with this idea, as I see it anyway, is the number of games. With an 18 team tournament it has to last longer so you may struggle to attract enough star names across enough teams to make the revamp worthwhile.

If we had a franchise t20 then who misses out there? I think you'd up with the same issues the Hundred has created.

The Hundred starts on 24 July and finishes on 18 August.

Also the idea the calendar is blocked out for the 'whole of August' is incorrect. Sussex have championship games on 22 and 29 August.
This is where I'm at with it, and my youngest son. But I suspect the BBC could have spent money promoting the T20 blast and got the same result. Blocking out all of August for this competition is just dumb.

Has domestic cricket really ever been anything other than a mess run by incompetent clowns?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Wow!!

What a start to the 2024 edition!

Oval Invincibles living up to their name with an absolute hammering of the Birmingham Phoenix. Nick Knight said they executed their skills sets perfectly.

Meerkat match hero was Adam Zampa

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I suspect Tim Southee is going to be a handful through this tournament, a shame he didn’t have enough runs to play with today

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Well today's the day our Southern Brave begin their bold quest to add a second hundred title to the trophy cabinet. Looks a very winnable game albeit against a much improved London Spirit, but home advantage in front of a packed Rose Bowl should make the difference.

Get the feeling Jofra Archer will have a big game and could well be the Meerkat Match Hero.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think I've said this before on this thread, probably last year and the year before. My now, state educated, 10 year old son, is the exact target audience for this competition, probably the poster boy for it's invention.

He first got casually involved in cricket through the All Stars ECB coaching program for 6-8 year old's. They provided a plastic bat, stumps, ball, T-shirt with his name on and cap. He then started watching a bit of cricket on TV, and found him watching the hundred. So I asked him if he wanted to go to a game, we went, he loved it. Fast forward three years, he's obsessed with cricket he plays for our local village, we've been to watch Sussex in T20 and County Championship, watched England in a test at Lords.

So whilst I don't agree with the franchise element and will never understand why they don't bowl overs, it is probably what is going to keep the recreational game alive in this country for future generations.
Or would that have happened with t20 scattered through the summer too?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Yes maybe, if T20 had the same budget and marketing think tank targeting a specific audience! I just think the additional razzmatazz of The Hundred, the decimilisation (sets of 5, 100 balls etc) and general simplification of the game in the way it's described appeals to kids.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Indeed.

To me, cricket should be just two formats, both played from mid April to late September. A mix of four day and T20 evening games. No other formats.

A properly organised T20 league would attract serious TV money if structured properly, and on the principle that a rising tide lifts all boats, interest in the 4 day game would also be far higher as a consequence.

The mess the ECB continually make in running the domestic game is laughable.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Let's go Brave let's go!
:clap:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Jofra Archer in the Southern Brave XI for tonight

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Jofra Archer in the Southern Brave XI for tonight
Interviews with him, and his Brave captain Vince, made it pretty clear they’re just as frustrated by the ECB restricting his play time as Sussex are.

The Brave team having 4 current Sussex and 4 former Sussex players is actually making it interesting to me. Just a shame I’d never head over to Southampton to watch them.

Reactions: A1X

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interviews with him, and his Brave captain Vince, made it pretty clear they’re just as frustrated by the ECB restricting his play time as Sussex are.

The Brave team having 4 current Sussex and 4 former Sussex players is actually making it interesting to me. Just a shame I’d never head over to Southampton to watch them.
I did a couple of seasons ago. The crowd is made up of Hampshire fans, which includes fans of Salisbury cricket club, parts of Berkshire and so on. What I didn't see was anyone openly wearing anything representing Sussex.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Brave looking very good, should be a comfortable opening victory here for us. Can't say as the Spirit are any great shakes though, already my tip for for finishing bottom.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
How many free tickets did they give away tonight to try and make it look half full for Pom Bears Cheese and Onion v Tyrrells Lightly Sea Salted?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
How did the Southern Smashers get on? Appreciate it's a Crodo wind up thread but the ECB had the product and f***ed it.

England is a football country no matter what some marketing prick says. "Lancashire" united Manchester and Liverpool. Manchester unoriginals? Well, No. It's not hard.

Best thing that can be said is that it has promoted the women's game quite well.

And yeah I know Liverpool is technically Merseyside.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I'd say the Rose Bowl was 95% full last night and plenty of Brave shirts in the audience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here