Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Hundred

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This year's viewing figures: The women’s competition dropped by 41 per cent on Sky and the men’s tournament 28 per cent compared to 2023.

I think it needs reviewing. Obviously too long to keep folk's attention.

Let's try the 50 next and work down.

Crisp, anyone ?
It may well likely change soon as the ECB is selling 49% in all the franchises, the clubs who have the 51% can sell those too and allegedly theirs a lot of interested parties including the IPL teams who fancy a bit. Maybe they'll tinker with it, change a few things, but its not going anywhere soon, and why the f**k should it?

Dont get all the grumbling tbh, its like complaining about 7 aside beach football tournamount being an outrage to the football pyramid. They have nothing to do with each other.

I love my cricket, deffo a test purist, but enjoy the shorter formats too for what they are, and having been to a couple of the Trent Rockets games near me, I totally get it..... packed full of kids, very kiddie orientated and tailoring a product to a younger audience, who will hopefully be further drawn into a lifelong love of the game.

The Rockets chased down and beat the Oval Invincibles last week, was a great game, my lad loved it and even the Mrs does who doesnt really do sports.
Thats not to say Love Island will ever compare to the artistery of Gone with the Wind, but it doesnt need to or be compared.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It may well likely change soon as the ECB is selling 49% in all the franchises, the clubs who have the 51% can sell those too and allegedly theirs a lot of interested parties including the IPL teams who fancy a bit. Maybe they'll tinker with it, change a few things, but its not going anywhere soon, and why the f**k should it?

Dont get all the grumbling tbh, its like complaining about 7 aside beach football tournamount being an outrage to the football pyramid. They have nothing to do with each other.

I love my cricket, deffo a test purist, but enjoy the shorter formats too for what they are, and having been to a couple of the Trent Rockets games near me, I totally get it..... packed full of kids, very kiddie orientated and tailoring a product to a younger audience, who will hopefully be further drawn into a lifelong love of the game.

The Rockets chased down and beat the Oval Invincibles last week, was a great game, my lad loved it and even the Mrs does who doesnt really do sports.
Thats not to say Love Island will ever compare to the artistery of Gone with the Wind, but it doesnt need to or be compared.
Well, if that 7-a-side beach football tournament is scheduled over the peak footie season, then it bloody well DOES have something to do with the football pyramid. I think you might be pissed off if there was no league football (say) for three weeks over Christmas and New Year, whilst all the best players went off to play 7-a-side!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Well, if that 7-a-side beach football tournament is scheduled over the peak footie season, then it bloody well DOES have something to do with the football pyramid. I think you might be pissed off if there was no league football (say) for three weeks over Christmas and New Year, whilst all the best players went off to play 7-a-side!
Exactly what I was going to say. Removing most of the best county players from county cricket for about about a month in a 5.5 month season would be like removing the best premier league league players for 6 weeks and having the teams crack on without them.

Before the hundred came along we had the best 50 over and t20 team but we are dropping in both. Maybe it’s a coincidence but I suspect it is not.

The really low crowd at the test match today was also a concern. Interest in test cricket is falling as the administrators do all they can to turn people off it and focus on franchise teams I simply can’t care about. It means nothing. Cricket is becoming an exhibition sport where players play for so many franchises that they are basically just a group of mates touring the world putting on shows like performers. They don’t care if they win or not. They simply care about personal stats to get higher wages. So many players play a few matches then naff off to a different comp.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Exactly what I was going to say. Removing most of the best county players from county cricket for about about a month in a 5.5 month season would be like removing the best premier league league players for 6 weeks and having the teams crack on without them.

Before the hundred came along we had the best 50 over and t20 team but we are dropping in both. Maybe it’s a coincidence but I suspect it is not.

The really low crowd at the test match today was also a concern. Interest in test cricket is falling as the administrators do all they can to turn people off it and focus on franchise teams I simply can’t care about. It means nothing. Cricket is becoming an exhibition sport where players play for so many franchises that they are basically just a group of mates touring the world putting on shows like performers. They don’t care if they win or not. They simply care about personal stats to get higher wages. So many players play a few matches then naff off to a different comp.
Sri Lanka no longer an attraction. Because of 20/20 there are only 3 strong Test P[aying countries. England Australia and I ndia In test series against WIs maybe only a couple of really competitive days and will be the same here

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sri Lanka no longer an attraction. Because of 20/20 there are only 3 strong Test P[aying countries. England Australia and I ndia In test series against WIs maybe only a couple of really competitive days and will be the same here
Yep. Global cricket standard is crap. People lose interest. I have been to many a full house at edgbaston and others Vs SL.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I also think the ICC were to slow to adopt new full members. A lot of momentum was lost this way and it doesn't help that now associate nations have no desire to attain test status anymore (except Ireland) so they'll focus on ODIs and T20.

Plus test is not where the money is for the other members. Indian colleagues of mine all mention how jealous they are of England, Aus and NZ for test crowds.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I also think the ICC were to slow to adopt new full members. A lot of momentum was lost this way and it doesn't help that now associate nations have no desire to attain test status anymore (except Ireland) so they'll focus on ODIs and T20.

Plus test is not where the money is for the other members. Indian colleagues of mine all mention how jealous they are of England, Aus and NZ for test crowds.
Yep. In my view (as I've said a few times!) is that domestically we should bin all formats except the long form and T20, then make them both relevant by sensibly dovetailing both competitions. The TV money would come from broadcasters paying to cover the T20 competition properly, much as baseball is covered in America. That form of the game is tailor made for sports channels and honestly, the game would become huge business in about five years flat. In time, it would even allow what are currently minor counties to be added into the fold.

This exposure would not only enable the longer form of the game to be subsidised, but would help it gain relevance by being a bit more present in the minds of sports fans. (The principle being that a rising tide lifts all boats).

Oh and there is no room for this Hundred shit in my brave new world.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Even in Australia Test crowds have dropped right off except for the Ashes and, to a lesser extent, India.

Look at our series earlier this summer v WI. Hammering - hammering - hammering. Totally uncompetetive and weather permitting this SL series will go the same way. Womens cricket has gone the same way (see games v NZ this summer).

Unfortunately, the countries who have invested in cricket: us, Aus and India are now streets ahead of the rest of the world. The WI aren't going to learn by getting hammered by us, Aus or India; they need to be playing against SL, SA, Netherlands, Canada, USA, Ireland, Scotland et al

Despite 2024 attendances falling, they still sold over 540K tickets in the Hundred (plus there are more merch opportunities in all short form versions of the game of course).

Of course, if the ECB had caught up with Australia (BBL/WBBL) and India (IPL/WIPL) and had a proper franchise T20 tournament with the top international stars from around the globe then I don't think the Hundred would ever have happened.

What bothers me most is the Test grounds hogging ALL the Hundred revenues. So the Test counties get richer whilst the others (like Sussex) continue to suffer. No reason at all why some of the Brave games couldn't be played at Hove and eg some of the London Spirit games played at Chelmsford. Spread the games and spread the money about.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I think your "near me" comment is the important two words, people in Sussex do not have a "near me" team as its based in Hampshire so is there really a surprise people on this board are pretty much meh about the whole thing even if every match could turn out to be a great game. If I was on holiday close to a match I might pop a long the same way I would try and get tickets for a football match in a foreign county if I happened to be there at the same time as a match, to tick off another ground. For TV matches for me its like having a Millwall v Stoke game live on TV, I have little interest in either team so wouldn't bother watching it even if there is a potential of a match finishing 8-7 with a winner in 90+7

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here