Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Hairy Cornflake, Dave Lee Travis...

Acetripper

Apr 23, 2009
I was told about DL Travis by a mate who works for the BBC in Leeds just after the Jimmy Saville allegations surfaced. Apparently all staff were told on threat of the sack not to mention it in public. He told me when he was pissed!:facepalm:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Justin Lee Collins, Dave Lee Travis.

Jamie Lee Curtis must be shitting it!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Hate to be a kill joy but everyone should be a little careful with what they post on here and any other form of social media, especially after todays headlines. Any statement about an individual, be it direct or indirect, COULD be used in a case of liable, deformation of character, incitement etc...
Sure, but as long as you're not making shit up, there's no problem. Jokes, which are clearly jokes, are fine. Accusing someone with no evidence is not.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Be careful what you post people - there's a writ out there waiting...

BBC News - BBC reaches settlement with Lord McAlpine
I'd heard about the Newsnight error, but didn't look into it. Reading that article, it says:
"Newsnight broadcast a report on child abuse in north Wales care homes earlier this month. Lord McAlpine's name was not broadcast, but he was wrongly identified on the internet."

So what exactly have Newsnight done wrong if they didn't name him?

From the second artlce:
"When individuals post material online, they act as publishers and their publications are subject to the same laws as those of professional publishers, such as newspapers. This includes publications made by way of a tweet."
Fair enough.

"A retweet also amounts to a further publication.
The person who retweets that material will be responsible for the content of that retweet.
In addition, the individual who originally tweeted the defamatory tweet is also likely to be held responsible for any retweets.
While this may seem beyond the original tweeter's control, this is because it is a reasonably foreseeable consequence that a defamatory tweet might be retweeted.
It is not a defence for an individual to say that he was simply repeating a statement by someone else. Just because something is out there does not make it OK to repeat."

I can't help feel that in the past a broadcaster would repeat the stories of another publication, but not get in trouble for that. Like when the Mirror posted that fake photo of soldiers, tv news broadcasts talked about it before they knew it was fake, but they don't get in trouble. Also, when a professional news program (with training on publishing laws) publishes something, the public attitude towards it is different to when reading a tweet from a nobody, so I'm surprised the laws are identical.

So what's going to happen to ITV for publishing those names that were shown to DC?

My God,if you go back to the 60's and 70's it may be a case of who,in the old rock groups,did not entertain young ladies!
Indeed.
Why is the BBC getting all the blame?

And why is no-one worrying about today's "celebrity" culture, which tries to persuade young girls that they can easily get close to fame and fortune?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Indeed.
Why is the BBC getting all the blame?

And why is no-one worrying about today's "celebrity" culture, which tries to persuade young girls that they can easily get close to fame and fortune?

Yep THIS

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Its amazing the amount of people who ignore the warnings, well if they want to get sued for ££££'s so be it!

Can you imagine the out of court settlement if he was falsely accused of being a Palace fan ??? :lol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As a kid I used to love Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and Dave Lee Travis. Alvin Stardust and the Bay City Rollers were good too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As a kid I used to love Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and Dave Lee Travis. Alvin Stardust and the Bay City Rollers were good too.
You would have been like walking cat-nip.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
DLT is claiming the allegations are in relation to breast groping.

He was apparently fingered to the fuzz by a 55 year old woman.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
DLT is claiming the allegations are in relation to breast groping.

He was apparently fingered to the fuzz by a 55 year old woman.

Rather confusing because he said on a TV news interview that it related to a mature woman and most definitely not a child and happened 40 years ago yet you say the allegation was made by a woman who is now 55.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You would have been like walking cat-nip.

Alvin Stardust was famous for his gaudy trinkets. Many a kid would have loved to touch his jewels or put their finger in his ring.

Dusty_Fryer

May 12, 2009
Port Stanley
Two female radio presenters claimed that they were groped on air by Dave Lee Travis. One was asked 'So you were grabbed by the Hairy Cornflake?'
'No the t*ts' she replied.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here