Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
On a more positive note i have great faith the clubs interests will be looked after. In the old days we would have been shit on from a greater height then a seagull !

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That is definitely not his wife. She would appear to be a young teenager, obsessed with all things Vicente.

Twitter

So much so, she has taken his last name for the purpose of Twitter (possibly).

she's an obsessed teenage fan. wonder if this fella took advantage!

AqdZkHiCAAA_3rb.jpg:large

Bagpuss

Sep 27, 2010
Could this not have simply happened because there was a cut-off date on the club exercising the extension option? My impression initially regarding the extension was we hoped he would be a success but didn't want to be lumbered if he were to be a flop though injury, the club obviously wish to keep him but have not managed to secure a new contract (for whatever reason) and therefore activated the clause before it was no longer possible.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I got a bit of stick - some light-hearted, some not - on Twitter earlier this evening when I suggested people should be a bit guarded about the club's announcement re: Vicente and the contract extension.

I've spoken to a few people (they are impeccable sources - you can choose to believe it or not - regardless I'm not naming them) this evening who do know what is going on, and it would be rude not to share.

1. The contract extension option was always there as many knew.

2. The Albion have been attempting to negotiate a brand new deal with Vicente which would have been announced with great fanfare.

3. Things were going very well.

4. Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. There may be third parties involved, in the form of other clubs, or Vicente's advisors could be attempting to maximise the return for their client.

5. The Albion have invested a significant amount of time, and not a small amount of money, in Vicente. He was on the scrap heap last Summer with very little interest in his services. In January there was no interest in his services. Since then, the club's medical and coaching staff have turned him around, as we all saw and took great delight in. As such, to let Vicente just walk out to another club would be, in short, madness.

6. The club have taken the contract extension to protect the Albion's interests. It is hoped that a deal can be done with Vicente, and we all get to enjoy him next season. But, if he chooses not to return, the club will get some decent compensation for all the work put in.

The club are in a win-win position here - we either get Vicente or we get a fee and a wages saving that can be spent elsewhere. There are some very exciting names on Poyet's shopping list so if we don't have Vicente any more, you can be certain we'll have some equally mouth-watering players in the stripes next season.

What happens next? Vicente has been told to report for training next week, so we'll start to get an idea on the next chapter of this tale on Monday morning.

Eloquent as ever Bozza. Only trouble is that you have concisely summarised the situation so well that I can't help wonder what the bloody hell are we going to do now on this thread.

Back to posting on the 'last one to post wins a tenner' thread I suppose?

TNBA

TTF

stickboy

Banned
May 30, 2012
On a more positive note i have great faith the clubs interests will be looked after. In the old days we would have been shit on from a greater height then a seagull !

Well said and we aren't a charity club where we treat the wounded and let them carry on their carriers without them paying their bills.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Could this not have simply happened because there was a cut-off date on the club exercising the extension option? My impression initially regarding the extension was we hoped he would be a success but didn't want to be lumbered if he were to be a flop though injury, the club obviously wish to keep him but have not managed to secure a new contract (for whatever reason) and therefore activated the clause before it was no longer possible.

Football contracts end on 30th June every year so yeah possibly as we are getting pretty close to that.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
No but I'm guessing that means the likes of Raul, Van Nistelrooy?

A different set of names but I seem to remember Palace going down the route of well past it players and it did them no good....the trick is in unearthing a Vicente who still has the ability and can still find the committment necessary to make an impact in what is a tough tough league (even if it isn't up there with la liga).

Big calls. Exciting times.

I am firmly in the "Vicente will play for us next season" camp because like many on here I need to be excited by what lies ahead and right now he is our player. To be honest if the names are different but the outcome is the same I am not going to be overly exercised but until it happens..............................

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Interesting post - what concerns me is this issue will overshadow other preparations, if it is not resolved quickly one way or the other.

I like Vicente and clearly his ability adds another dimension to the team, but lets also not forget when he wasn't fit we were also 'ticking along' quite nicely.
In fact it is very easy to argue that when he wasn't fit, we were better of for it.

He's probably the most gifted players to ever wear the stripes, but Gus proved last season, he cannot build a team around him with what we have here (and this is one of the reason I'm one of the few who doubt Gus on here)

I for one won't be in the slightest bit bothered if Vicente doesn't return. In fact if you could guarantee his wages will be used on one different player, I'd rather he didn't.

I for one will be a little surprised if Vicente wears the stripes again.

As Bozza said, its a win win for the club. You just gotta love Tony Bloom!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well I must say I have been wondering about this....the player staying in Spain until the birth and then how many days/weeks after that....but then we hav this bit about him due back nxt week..hmmm

Until the birth? Baby Sergio was born on the 18th June.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that Gus announcing we'll be making at least 3 more signings in this window also puts pressure on the Vicente camp to sign. The momentum we're building must be maintained, with or without him. We managed to top the table after 5 matches last season without Vicente and our squad this season will be even stronger.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
The fact that they were actully discussing a brand new deal sounds promising as it shows Vicente is willing to stay. I know this was before Villarreal were interested but both himself and his agents must have known that was a possibility.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Have to say that as entertaining as he was, I wouldn't want the club to held ransom by Vicente's camp - he simply hasn't proved to be reliable enough to warrant it. Hope he comes back fit and ready to play for us, but if there's any hint of a lack of desire pull the plug and use the money elsewhere.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I have been thinking the same as I've been plowing through this thread.

In our recent past we'd have been f***ed over by the likes of Port Vale for a player thanks to the financial shackles we'd had on since Archer and Stanley. We're in a different place now and clearly Tony Bloom and his hired help are not going to be taken for mugs. I'm sure DK would have loved to have been in as strong a position we now find ourselves in-having money empowers.

I'd love to see Vicente in an Albion shirt for at least two more years but if he moves on then 'shit happens'. At least this way we get some money for him.

As for agents, they're the stinking pile of shit that is f***ing up football. It would be great if all of the clubs all got together and refused to deal with the scum.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
It doesn't sound great, but we have no proof that he isn't coming back just yet. As Bozza says things will be clearer next week. Bloody frustrating though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here