Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Club bigger than one player no matter how entertaining he was last season ....I loved watching the geezer but never like putting all my hopes on just one individual...he gets injured and then what.....looking forward to the new season ..one gets the feeling there's a lot more going to happen between now and then

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I never said I did? I (perhaps stupidly) assumed that nobody in their right mind would be bored or stupid enough to pretend to be Vicente's wife on Twitter

From what I can see she isn't pretending to be his wife... she just idolises him, and is a Valencia fan (And likes getting her photo taken with most of the team in their cars)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So where does this leave Bruno in all of this/ He must be pretty pissed off if one of the main reasons he signed up for two years was his good mate is here.

What's the saying?.....With mates like that......................................Still if he signs for Reading or Saints they will still see each other around. Although if I was Bruno, i'd feel a bit betrayed.

Quote from Bruno ;
"Vicente is a former team-mate of mine and a friend so it would mean a lot to me to play with him again, but it's not the most important thing, or the most fundamental part of my decision."

So that's good news.

if Vicente is being a dick about this, then get rid I say.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
From what I can see she isn't pretending to be his wife... she just idolises him, and is a Valencia fan (And likes getting her photo taken with most of the team in their cars)

You have obviously checked it out then so fair play, I honestly couldn't give a monkeys about Twitter I hate everything about it. Genuine famous 'stars' yes fair enough, but who wants to follow me? why the f*** would Liz Hurley or Stephen Fry care about what I had for breakfast?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
How many days paternity leave will he be entitled to ? This could encroach into pre-season training and may lead to further rumours when he isn't at the training ground next week.

Well I must say I have been wondering about this....the player staying in Spain until the birth and then how many days/weeks after that....but then we hav this bit about him due back nxt week..hmmm

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
You have obviously checked it out then so fair play, I honestly couldn't give a monkeys about Twitter I hate everything about it. Genuine famous 'stars' yes fair enough, but who wants to follow me? why the f*** would Liz Hurley or Stephen Fry care about what I had for breakfast?

Fair play - I didnt want people getting their hopes up thinking Vicente's wife had tweeted something!

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Presumably also there was a deadlline as to when Albion could exercise the one year option. Can't just leave a player hanging on until their last day (ie this Saturday) to tell them whether you want them to stay. Today was probably that deadline.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
If he's a reasonable man, he should stick with us for one more season in an attempt to get to the Premier League. Should we fail, we should be reasonable as fans and say thank you, good luck and give him our blessing.

I hate the idea of him playing with a strop on. (I did spell strop as intended)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Fair play - I didnt want people getting their hopes up thinking Vicente's wife had tweeted something!

I apologise , my search went off track , her twitter page has numerous images of her hanging out with The Messiah , I put 2 and 2 together and came up with 8.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Remember this chaps. We did very well for three quarters of last season without Vicente. We are now looking to bring in 3 or 4 more quality signings to add to our two Champions League signings so far... from Manchester United and Valencia!

There have been worse times to be an Albion fan...

SSEEEEAAAGGGUUULLLSSSSSSS!!!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
A couple of thoughts. I can only think of one club in this country that he could realistically expect the sort of rapport with the manager he seems to have here and that's Wigan. Other Premier League clubs might appeal because of the standard of football but for a guy who speaks no English at all, with a newborn baby back home and a history that suggests the week-in, week-out pace of the top flight could be a struggle, it'd pretty clearly be a mercenary move rather than for the football reasons that supposedly brought him to England.

Secondly, it seems to be largely down to the dedication of our medical staff that he still has a meaningful career at all. Will he get that same standard of care elsewhere? Debatable. In the top flight, he wouldn't be the main man in the same way he is here. And any club who doesn't already know him would be taking a risk on the injury problems which foxed Valencia for so long.

I'd love him to stay. The most exciting prospect imaginable if he could be involved for a full season. However, if he opts to go elsewhere and turn his back on the role Albion have played in reviving his career, he wouldn't really be the sort of guy you'd want at the club anyway. We want players with a bit more commitment than that. Hopefully it's just a case of agents spouting the usual bollocks and they'll backtrack now that the club's called their bluff.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
It ain't great news is it? Fingers crossed and hoping for a good result like everyone else.
I know it's a bit of a pointless post, but just had to vent

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
6. The club have taken the contract extension to protect the Albion's interests. It is hoped that a deal can be done with Vicente, and we all get to enjoy him next season. But, if he chooses not to return, the club will get some decent compensation for all the work put in.

The club are in a win-win position here - we either get Vicente or we get a fee and a wages saving that can be spent elsewhere. There are some very exciting names on Poyet's shopping list so if we don't have Vicente any more, you can be certain we'll have some equally mouth-watering players in the stripes next season.

Would anyone realistically pay anything for a thirty year old with his history of injuries? I am worried about an impasse similar to that with Tevez and Man City.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
I don't think it's a good idea to be speculating about Vicente being the difficult party without knowing the full truth. It might be a good idea for those not concerned ie us lot on NSC and any reporters who think they know everything, to keep quiet and let the player, his agents (who work on behalf of Vicente) and the club to thrash out the best deal.

Exactly - there were too many people on here last year who truly believed Vicente had come here to take a stack of cash and sit on the treatment table for the whole year - and seriously questioned his integrity without knowing the truth.

Again - we don't know the truth as yet (We know part of it) and therefore should not be questioning that integrity again until we know the full score.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
A couple of thoughts. I can only think of one club in this country that he could realistically expect the sort of rapport with the manager he seems to have here and that's Wigan. Other Premier League clubs might appeal because of the standard of football but for a guy who speaks no English at all, with a newborn baby back home and a history that suggests the week-in, week-out pace of the top flight could be a struggle, it'd pretty clearly be a mercenary move rather than for the football reasons that supposedly brought him to England.

Secondly, it seems to be largely down to the dedication of our medical staff that he still has a meaningful career at all. Will he get that same standard of care elsewhere? Debatable. In the top flight, he wouldn't be the main man in the same way he is here. And any club who doesn't already know him would be taking a risk on the injury problems which foxed Valencia for so long.

I'd love him to stay. The most exciting prospect imaginable if he could be involved for a full season. However, if he opts to go elsewhere and turn his back on the role Albion have played in reviving his career, he wouldn't really be the sort of guy you'd want at the club anyway. We want players with a bit more commitment than that. Hopefully it's just a case of agents spouting the usual bollocks and they'll backtrack now that the club's called their bluff.

An excellent post, i agree with the sentiments. Would be happy for him if he wants to stay in Spain. I doubt anyone else in England except Wigan is an option

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Would anyone realistically pay anything for a thirty year old with his history of injuries? I am worried about an impasse similar to that with Tevez and Man City.

But surely this is really about preventing him from taking an offer with one of our rivals and making sure we get some money if he goes to the Premier League? I can't imagine anyone would have a problem if he opts to stay in Spain - that would be a much more personal matter and understandable for family reasons. In that instance, I'd imagine we'd agree to just terminate the contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here