Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Wigan Athletic?

Well if it's not JUST about money, we win this hands down.

You say that and I agree. But it's a Premier League club, plentiful flights from Manchester and some nice places to live nearby. So it wouldn't be that cut and dried at all for a footballer. He wouldn't be spending much time in Wetherspoon's or Greggs so the state of the town itself doesn't matter much.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
No one said it was going to be easy.............

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
This could turn very messy if the player wants out to another club, yet this other club won't pay the fee we are asking. We might have to cut our losses or keep an unhappy player.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Would anyone realistically pay anything for a thirty year old with his history of injuries? I am worried about an impasse similar to that with Tevez and Man City.

*hands you hyperbole of the year award*

To quote Pulp Fiction it's not even the same fuckin' Ball Park. There are three outcomes here:

1) Vicente plays for us again next season
2) Another club has to pay to buy him out of the contract
3) He refuses to play - putting him in breach of contract (and therefore into fine / wage withholding) and REALLY putting off potential suitors in this country (probably not Spanish ones though in which case go back to option 2))

He's not going to play for Reading or Stains or Bevendean Fuckin' Barcelona without us getting a shitload of cash.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I got a bit of stick - some light-hearted, some not - on Twitter earlier this evening when I suggested people should be a bit guarded about the club's announcement re: Vicente and the contract extension.

I've spoken to a few people (they are impeccable sources - you can choose to believe it or not - regardless I'm not naming them) this evening who do know what is going on, and it would be rude not to share.

1. The contract extension option was always there as many knew.

2. The Albion have been attempting to negotiate a brand new deal with Vicente which would have been announced with great fanfare.

3. Things were going very well.

4. Things seem to have taken a turn for the worse. There may be third parties involved, in the form of other clubs, or Vicente's advisors could be attempting to maximise the return for their client.

5. The Albion have invested a significant amount of time, and not a small amount of money, in Vicente. He was on the scrap heap last Summer with very little interest in his services. In January there was no interest in his services. Since then, the club's medical and coaching staff have turned him around, as we all saw and took great delight in. As such, to let Vicente just walk out to another club would be, in short, madness.

6. The club have taken the contract extension to protect the Albion's interests. It is hoped that a deal can be done with Vicente, and we all get to enjoy him next season. But, if he chooses not to return, the club will get some decent compensation for all the work put in.

The club are in a win-win position here - we either get Vicente or we get a fee and a wages saving that can be spent elsewhere. There are some very exciting names on Poyet's shopping list so if we don't have Vicente any more, you can be certain we'll have some equally mouth-watering players in the stripes next season.

What happens next? Vicente has been told to report for training next week, so we'll start to get an idea on the next chapter of this tale on Monday morning.
Dunno what to make of this whole saga. (Not questioning Bozza, he's got it bang on from what I know and thats 2,4, and 6)

I was told last month this was the case, and logically after last season, it made perfect sense and preety obvious that we would try and work out a new deal, especially considering the wages he gets. I was told by someone I trust what they are, but am not repeating it on here, just its a f***ing lot, I did nearly choke on my alcholic beverage when told. If true, and I've no reason to doubt it, I don't know what Bobby Zamoras on at the moment, but I wouldn't have thought the boat would need to be push out much further to land him wages wise if no fee was involved!!)

I'm not a big fan of Gus, and I think he may have scored a big own goal here, after making a point of saying he'll leave it to Vicente to decide, and then the club obviously over rule him. It will be interesting to see Poyets body language when the questions about the deal, and maybe his comments at the end of last season are thrown at him, but I think Gus has been overruled by the men upstairs, and I don't think he's going to like it, but hopefully he'll keep his toys in the pram over this.

Best case scenario, Vicente returns, we manage to win more than one game next season when he starts, we get promoted and Selhurst Park burns down with out of date insurance

Worst case scenario ...... who knows. This may open a whole can of worms if this this move by the club goes wrong.

One things for sure. Next season is going to be an interesting one!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2. To be fair to Vicente, his family circumstances have changed and he's a proper player again. I imagine staying at home, if possible, would be tempting.
Indeed, but it doesn't match the fact that just a few days ago Gus said he was 90/95% sure he'd be playing for us. Weird.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
FACT... Vicente signed an original contract for 1 year with a clause giving the right to BHAFC for a further year extension if BHAFC so wished.
FACT...BHAFC got him fit, sorted out medical staff, made him do preseason mid season and told him to play. Now he is fit
RUMOUR: Vicente agent touting services to potential highest bidder.
Yes I posted in another thread too..so what

RUMOUR: Some of these 'interested' parties are not substantially a bigger club than the Albion.
FACT....BHAFC spent a lot of time, money and effort into Vicente.
FACT....Business says 'you are not getting something for nothing'.
RUMOUR: We will honour Gus's commitment to let the player decide
FACT...Bloom pulls the poker play............you aint getting nowt for nothing from BHAFC
PAY UP OR PLAY UP OR THE BENCH LOOKS WARM

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Indeed, but it doesn't match the fact that just a few days ago Gus said he was 90/95% sure he'd be playing for us. Weird.

You do know that both 90 and 95 are less that 100 and that footballers express percentages greater than 100 as a default right?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - "players equally as mouth-watering". That's a pretty HUGE statement there. On his day and fully fit, you could make a case for Vicente being not far off WORLD CLASS. Are we REALLY seriously in with a shout at getting other players of that calibre?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - "players equally as mouth-watering". That's a pretty HUGE statement there. On his day and fully fit, you could make a case for Vicente being not far off WORLD CLASS. Are we REALLY seriously in with a shout at getting other players of that calibre?

Why not ? There are 23000 season ticket holders to keep happy and free transfers from League 1 clubs aren't going to do it

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why not ? There are 23000 season ticket holders to keep happy and free transfers from League 1 clubs aren't going to do it

No but I'm guessing that means the likes of Raul, Van Nistelrooy?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You do know that both 90 and 95 are less that 100 and that footballers express percentages greater than 100 as a default right?
Ah yes, it was 90/95 out of 1 million percent. Damn I'm such a fool.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Dunno what to make of this whole saga. (Not questioning Bozza, he's got it bang on from what I know and thats 2,4, and 6)

I was told last month this was the case, and logically after last season, it made perfect sense and preety obvious that we would try and work out a new deal, especially considering the wages he gets. I was told by someone I trust what they are, but am not repeating it on here, just its a f***ing lot, I did nearly choke on my alcholic beverage when told. If true, and I've no reason to doubt it, I don't know what Bobby Zamoras on at the moment, but I wouldn't have thought the boat would need to be push out much further to land him wages wise if no fee was involved!!)

I'm not a big fan of Gus, and I think he may have scored a big own goal here, after making a point of saying he'll leave it to Vicente to decide, and then the club obviously over rule him. It will be interesting to see Poyets body language when the questions about the deal, and maybe his comments at the end of last season are thrown at him, but I think Gus has been overruled by the men upstairs, and I don't think he's going to like it, but hopefully he'll keep his toys in the pram over this.

Best case scenario, Vicente returns, we manage to win more than one game next season when he starts, we get promoted and Selhurst Park burns down with out of date insurance

Worst case scenario ...... who knows. This may open a whole can of worms if this this move by the club goes wrong.

One things for sure. Next season is going to be an interesting one!!

Interesting post - what concerns me is this issue will overshadow other preparations, if it is not resolved quickly one way or the other.

I like Vicente and clearly his ability adds another dimension to the team, but lets also not forget when he wasn't fit we were also 'ticking along' quite nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here