Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just reading the latest article on Marca. Basically it says that Elche aren't able to pay a transfer fee for Vicente, but Marca also reports that Vicente's agent had positive talks with David Burke a couple of days ago, and that Brighton would "soon open the door" to Vicente (presumably this means we'll let him go).....(not sure why David Burke is involved, as I would have assumed this is being dealt with by Paul Barber??) The article also implies that Poyet verbally told Vicente that we wouldn't force him to honour his contract, but we then changed our mind at the last moment (supposedly in order to extract money for a transfer fee).

Sounds like there is a lot of haggling going on in the background....likely outcome, as far as I can see, is that Elche coughs up some dosh and a deal is done, or perhaps Vicente comes back for a season and Elche just have to wait. The first of these would seem more probable.

As with most posts on this thread, I don't think this adds a huge amount!!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I cant believe I am still reading this thread let alone putting my opinion to it.

Still I predict:

He will remain in Spain and we thank him very much and wish him all the best. You will never find out if a fee is paid or not, you will all be left guessing and speculating for ever and ever as will I.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I cant believe I am still reading this thread let alone putting my opinion to it.

Still I predict:

He will remain in Spain and we thank him very much and wish him all the best. You will never find out if a fee is paid or not, you will all be left guessing and speculating for ever and ever as will I.

Think you're right and probably announced in conjunction with a new signing

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just reading the latest article on Marca. Basically it says that Elche aren't able to pay a transfer fee for Vicente, but Marca also reports that Vicente's agent had positive talks with David Burke a couple of days ago, and that Brighton would "soon open the door" to Vicente (presumably this means we'll let him go).....(not sure why David Burke is involved, as I would have assumed this is being dealt with by Paul Barber??) The article also implies that Poyet verbally told Vicente that we wouldn't force him to honour his contract, but we then changed our mind at the last moment (supposedly in order to extract money for a transfer fee).

Sounds like there is a lot of haggling going on in the background....likely outcome, as far as I can see, is that Elche coughs up some dosh and a deal is done, or perhaps Vicente comes back for a season and Elche just have to wait. The first of these would seem more probable.

As with most posts on this thread, I don't think this adds a huge amount!!

Jim - who is this Burke ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had to check - apparently "Head of Football Operations", or similar.

I think he's the one who does the contract negotiations whereas the new chap is CEO over the whole business. If I remember rightly Burke is the one we got from Southampton.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I think he's the one who does the contract negotiations whereas the new chap is CEO over the whole business. If I remember rightly Burke is the one we got from Southampton.

Correct. Think of it as Barber being the money-generating man and Burke being the spender.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This is all so stupid - it's like being suddenly dumped by the woman (or man) that you thought you were going to spend the rest of your life with or the death of a loved one. We're all going through the bereavement curve which always starts with incomprehension and denial, and then anger, depression and finally acceptance. We need to get out the other side of this asap cos getting stuck in one of these phases is simply NOT AN OPTION!!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

there's a bloke who is enjoying the beautiful english climate

VICENTE_2789589.jpg

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
the player's agent Victor Onate claims he will not return until his differences with the club have been settled.

Says to me that he wants a better deal from us

Where Poyet says The only thing we know is he didn't turn up and is showing willingness to leave.

So which is it? Why would he even need to come back if he wants to leave? Clean his locker out?

Last edited:

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
As brilliant as he is and having the potential to become a God like Wardy still is , he is no good here with a miserable fizzog on and wishing to be elsewhere , no matter the reception he had here from the fans and the help from the club with his fitness etc etc we are not in his blood sadly. He has proven to be loyal in his career to his hometown club so that is not the issue, Perhaps he should read a Spanish translation of Build a Bonfire to aid his decision and show the reasons behind our fans passion and appreciation of anything special we have !! That would probably have no effect either.His family etc etc and of course his deal will no doubt sway him to his homeland. Sadly another Albion love affair ends and there have been plenty over the years though this one was so powerful over such a short period, shame.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Twitter report that Elche are offering him a two year deal at 00K a year so they can't be that broke they can't afford a fee?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nothing a year? They're trying it on a bit :p

Ha ha! Friggin' keyboard!

300,000 euros = £240K a year give or take - it ain't a fat lot relatively speaking so he's either looking for sunshine and family close by or waiting for a stronger deal from us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here