Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
I would like the club say to Vicente: You can leave for a fee.

Given the effort that's gone into him I don't see why we should let him leave for free.

If Elche want him for free they can f*** off frankly.

Bloody right mate, we put all that effort in to him and got him back to being a half decent player again. He was on the scrap heap when he came here and we turned him around. Ok fair enough he wants to stay in spain i can understand that. But he aint going anywhere for free. Delighted that we have got him and his agents by the bollocks.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
If Elche think they can get him for free they must be bonkers, if Vicente's agents think that we would of just let him walk away they must be bonkers and if anyone thinks that Bloom, Barber, Poyet et all will just roll over they must be bonkers too.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'll answer that... Tony...

You'd think between him and Barber then yes ... but I reckon Vicente might hold a couple of Aces. So TB says "you don't go to the Spanish mob unless we get a fee" ... so Vicente says (via agent and after mucho agg) "OK I'll come back then". He comes back, on day 1 of training he picks up the injury and that's that and then we have a wage bill of god knows how much. Like the old adage you can lead a horse to water .......................

I think we're buggered ... we'll do our posturing but ultimately I can't see how he doesn't leave on a free ..... as much as that galls me btw

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
If Elche think they can get him for free they must be bonkers, if Vicente's agents think that we would of just let him walk away they must be bonkers and if anyone thinks that Bloom, Barber, Poyet et all will just roll over they must be bonkers too.

Well, usually, yes. But didn't Poyet go on record and say we wouldn't enforce the extra year? Not entirely unreasonable, from Vicente's perspective, to assume he'd stick to that.

I'm glad we did, mind... but probably shouldn't have ever said otherwise...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You'd think between him and Barber then yes ... but I reckon Vicente might hold a couple of Aces. So TB says "you don't go to the Spanish mob unless we get a fee" ... so Vicente says (via agent and after mucho agg) "OK I'll come back then". He comes back, on day 1 of training he picks up the injury and that's that and then we have a wage bill of god knows how much. Like the old adage you can lead a horse to water .......................

I think we're buggered ... we'll do our posturing but ultimately I can't see how he doesn't leave on a free ..... as much as that galls me btw

Unless we were astute enough to have taken him him on a pay to play basis....

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Bloody right mate, we put all that effort in to him and got him back to being a half decent player again. He was on the scrap heap when he came here and we turned him around. Ok fair enough he wants to stay in spain i can understand that. But he aint going anywhere for free. Delighted that we have got him and his agents by the bollocks.

Can't see we have got him by the bollocks ... as long as he doesn't refuse to play and just gets this mystery injury again then we'll be paying him a (big I assume) wage and getting bugger all for it. Big price to pay just to stop him going back to Spain and just don't see it

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Well, usually, yes. But didn't Poyet go on record and say we wouldn't enforce the extra year? Not entirely unreasonable, from Vicente's perspective, to assume he'd stick to that.

Sure. It was 'only if Vicente wants to stay' but if you had to take this to Arbitration our defense would be 'until last week we were told he did want to stay and have been in final negotiations with his agents...we even have started to plan a team round him. So we have invested time, effort and money only to be screwed at the last minute'.

And maybe that was a way Gus tried to get him to feel relaxed, playing down the 2nd year clause.

I have no idea just spitballing tho'

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Can't see we have got him by the bollocks ... as long as he doesn't refuse to play and just gets this mystery injury again then we'll be paying him a (big I assume) wage and getting bugger all for it. Big price to pay just to stop him going back to Spain and just don't see it

You don't think that they will just say **** him and make a point out of it to prevent someone trying to pull a fast one next time. This is a challenge to Gus' authority in some small way and i just dont think he will take kindly to it. I might be wrong and Gus will be hugs and kisses and send his new club his medical records but sheesh i'd cut my nose off to spite my face on this one.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Or we call his bluff, and he is forced to pay / persuade his buddy at the Spanish club to pay what he is worth... otherwise, he stays in England, specifically Brighton... as I say, time for us to see just how much he wants to stay in Spain...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It appears that simply he's started to arse us about and TB has played his ace. f*** him let him sweat!

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon

You think he wants to do that? He wants to play football. He dont want to sit on his arse for another year not playing any football. Flying between spain and brighton to have mystery injury looked at. also before we all know he might be on a pay as you play contract.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
That little girl on Twitter that was mistaken for his missus earlier in the thread is hilarious.
Chatting some shit about escaping to Elche with Vicente yesterday :lolol:
Good luck with that darling.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex

Agreed. I even think he has a (probably quite weak) legal argument to say that we verbally waived our option, and that he acted in good faith in the light of this.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You think he wants to do that? He wants to play football. He dont want to sit on his arse for another year not playing any football. Flying between spain and brighton to have mystery injury looked at. also before we all know he might be on a pay as you play contract.

No he won't want to do it but he might want to do it more than commit to us for a season .... if he is on pay and play we've defo got the upper hand

Or we call his bluff, and he is forced to pay / persuade his buddy at the Spanish club to pay what he is worth... otherwise, he stays in England, specifically Brighton... as I say, time for us to see just how much he wants to stay in Spain...

His buddy at the Spanish club might just say he'll wait till next year or propose to reduce his wages to pay the fee in which might leave nothing if we play hard ball. In which case case Vicente may say f*** it I'll go back to Brighton then

You don't think that they will just say **** him and make a point out of it to prevent someone trying to pull a fast one next time. This is a challenge to Gus' authority in some small way and i just dont think he will take kindly to it. I might be wrong and Gus will be hugs and kisses and send his new club his medical records but sheesh i'd cut my nose off to spite my face on this one.

This is the principled logic but not the pragmatic one. Like you, I wish they would do it and like you but it would cost us money that at the end of the day could be put to better use ... gaining promotion. It's an odd case and not as if it will really set a precedent for others.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I don't think it's beyond question that he won't play for us again. Gus plays hard but fair when challenged - see Forster, Murray etc. Bloom and Barber are excellent businessmen who won't be screwed by anyone. So I really can't see us invoking the extension and then agreeing to release him to anyone without a proportionate fee. So if Elche really don't want to or can't pay then his only realistic option of getting to play is here at Brighton. His mate Bruno is here, the set-up is here, he wanted to return by the sounds of it before his other mate took over at Elche. The fat lady might be clearing her throat, but she ain't singing yet.

Aug 9, 2003
East Sussex

Unfortunately, I agree. I think there will be a very nominal "undisclosed" fee paid by Elche in order to save face all round. We're not going to chase them or Vicente around European courts if he doesn't come back, are we?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
this is looking like a very sad end to a magnificent albion player...a bit like the Gotsmanov saga

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Unfortunately, I agree. I think there will be a very nominal "undisclosed" fee paid by Elche in order to save face all round. We're not going to chase them or Vicente around European courts if he doesn't come back, are we?

I would certainly hope the Club would. At least it would be one benefit from being in the EU! Clubs need to stand up to these contract avoiding scum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here