Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
The best player to ever play for the mighty Albion, but after this will you feel the same about him? I was flabbergasted when he signed for us, but this is starting to take the shine off of what originally was blockbuster signing.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Unfortunately, I agree. I think there will be a very nominal "undisclosed" fee paid by Elche in order to save face all round. We're not going to chase them or Vicente around European courts if he doesn't come back, are we?

Maybe, but Gus and Tony have both shown a willingness to take short term pain to show they won't be pushed around by players and agents, so I wouldn't bet against it!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The best player to ever play for the mighty Albion, but after this will you feel the same about him? I was flabbergasted when he signed for us, but this is starting to take the shine off of what originally was blockbuster signing.
It's not for me. If he goes, it's only because his wife has just had a baby and they want to live in Spain, and you can hardly blame them.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I don't think it's beyond question that he won't play for us again. Gus plays hard but fair when challenged - see Forster, Murray etc. Bloom and Barber are excellent businessmen who won't be screwed by anyone. So I really can't see us invoking the extension and then agreeing to release him to anyone without a proportionate fee. So if Elche really don't want to or can't pay then his only realistic option of getting to play is here at Brighton. His mate Bruno is here, the set-up is here, he wanted to return by the sounds of it before his other mate took over at Elche. The fat lady might be clearing her throat, but she ain't singing yet.

This makes sense, however I could see him being released on a free in jan if it doesn't go our way between now and then.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It's very difficult. At the beginning of June, I'd love to have seen Vicente back in an Albion shirt, but now at the end of the month I'd personally rather he just f*** off. He's now left a very sour taste, and I don't want him playing for us. I wouldn't let him go though, and now I'd rather he rotted in the background if Elche aren't willing to pay for him. f*** em and f*** him.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Can anyone think of another player that intimated he'd sign a new contract, went on his hols then decided he'd rather go somewhere else?
Does this saga make Vicente as big a wanker as Harding?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
It's very difficult. At the beginning of June, I'd love to have seen Vicente back in an Albion shirt, but now at the end of the month I'd personally rather he just f*** off. He's now left a very sour taste, and I don't want him playing for us. I wouldn't let him go though, and now I'd rather he rotted in the background if Elche aren't willing to pay for him. f*** em and f*** him.

You read my mind

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Wow, just clicked on this thread for the first time in a few days. He's going?? Can someone sum up whats happened? I knew the baby factor would signal the end :(

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Can we just not lock Vicente and his agent in a room with Adam El-Abd and Charlie Oatway to "Smooth" things over?

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
What's nice to see out of all of this situation is that an agent has tried to play Albion to the last minute and TB has pretty much shown that he and his club will not be f***ed with

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Some of the comments, above, remind me of the vitriol that was spouted while he was working to regain fitness. Then the same people were creaming themselves when he hit the ground running. Just wait and see how this pans out before hurling the abuse eh?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If The Messiah does return for the second coming how will people see him? Will they see him in a different light, less trustworthy, not put on a pedestal, less worthy of fans appreciation? Or will people see it as just 'one of those things' and give him the love as we did last year? Maybe blame his agent and not see it as driven by him.

I'll go with the former but am just interested in what others think.

He got f***ing slaughtered on here last year, when he wasnt playing! LOL

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Brian Owen‏[MENTION=13191]Brian[/MENTION]__Owen

Latest from Vicente's agent today was a brief text to say conversation with #bhafc was positive without reaching a concrete agreement

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You read my mind

quite simple -

if we paid him (for instance) 20k a week for 10 months (43 weeks) contract thats £860,000 if he plays every week (he didn't) he played about 15 weeks.

860,000 - 300k = 560K in compensation, for weeks not playing and us getting him fit.

If Elche don't want to pay it, and Vicente is so desperate to play for them get him to pay it out of his wages.

Elche want a freebie, Vicente wants to keep his banked 20k a week for being mostly injured, and probably a signing on fee at Elche and his agent wants his cut.

no such thing as a free lunch, you can go but why should Brighton pay to get you fully fit so others can benefit for free

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We can slag of Vicente's agent as much as we like but he is probably doing what is going to benefit him and also his client. If they let the clock run down on his contract, ie past the 30th June, then he would have been free to sign for a spanish club with a nice sign on fee of which the agent would get his percentage. Now, that sign on fee will have to come to the Albion as a transfer fee and the agent and Vicente will get less. Nothing really wrong with that. I suspect that Vicente wouldn't mind playing another season but at the end of the day, his family will, and should come first. If he can't persuade his wife to put up with one more year in sunny brighton then I doubt he will come.

and you worked that out on your own, well done einstein!!

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
quite simple -

Elche want a freebie, Vicente wants to keep his banked 20k a week for being mostly injured, and probably a signing on fee at Elche and his agent wants his cut.

no such thing as a free lunch, you can go but why should Brighton pay to get you fully fit so others can benefit for free

Doesn't the post I quoted say exactly this just worded differently

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Latest from Vicente's agent today was a brief text to say conversation with #bhafc was positive without reaching a concrete agreement

Doesn't indicate much, positive from whose point if view?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

since written:

Brian Owen ‏[MENTION=13191]Brian[/MENTION]__Owen

I know that text from Vicente's agent begs certain questions. They have been asked. ‪#bhafc

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Elche are in the same position we were last season, creaming their pants at the thought of Vicente playing for them. We've had that joy, it's time to move on. Thanks Vicente, the Portmouth and Derby games I'll never forget.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here