Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Goldstone - where did you stand or sit when you first watched the Albion?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Following on from that 'first game' thread, I was wondering where people stood or sat when they first started going to the Goldstone.

I was eight when I went to my first game in 1981, and was thrown straight in at the deep end, standing (on a stool) at the front of the North Stand. And I pretty much always went in the North from then on, apart from the odd foray into the West chicken run.

Anyone else start and stay in the North? Or did people 'graduate' through the ground?!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I graduated slowly. Started in the West Stand sitting with my dad when I was 7, then passed through the East Stand before making it to the North.

*soft*

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
East stand on the touchline wall, standing on a wooden box my dad made. Milk crates were also widely used to stand on.
Progressed (with age) via the west stand south end to the north stand.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
West Stand terrace in early 60's.Just behind the dug out containing Cyril Hodges et al.Later on ,season ticket in West Stand not far from halfway line.....lovely seat and great memories!

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Straight into the North Stand from quite a young age in 1983 I think, Started in the middle with my dad and his mates at about 5 or 6, then as I got a little older I was allowed to stand at the front on my crate and then as I hit my teens moved up to the join the faithful singers, met some friends for life in there, unfortunately not so many frequent Withdean.
Lets hope Falmer can recapture some of the old Goldstone magic and atmosphere.
I only sat in the south stand once for some junior seagulls thing, and stood in the east once v Norwich in the cup, as my Dad was working so had to go with my mate and his dad !

Last edited:

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
My first home game was in the South stand but invariably after that my dad & i could be found on the south west terrace behind the home dugout.

I must say that i did enjoy a few games from the lego stand tho

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
First ever game with my Dad in the East Terrace, thereafter ALWAYS in the North – right towards the back behind the goal.

Apart from two occasions:
– The Liverpool Cup replay when I could only get an away ticket and had to stand with the Scousers on the East.
– Once in the West terrace specifically to abuse Bellotti.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
West with my Dad or one of his mates was 1st game. He was pals with one of the directors. Then went to Northstand or East stand. South, maybe once. Happy days:thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
South Stand about 5 rows back to the left of the goal. Only time I've ever touched the ball after it flew into the crowd and nearly took my head off.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Following on from that 'first game' thread, I was wondering where people stood or sat when they first started going to the Goldstone.

I was eight when I went to my first game in 1981, and was thrown straight in at the deep end, standing (on a stool) at the front of the North Stand. And I pretty much always went in the North from then on, apart from the odd foray into the West chicken run.

Anyone else start and stay in the North? Or did people 'graduate' through the ground?!

You bored?! :love:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
North stand, at the front balancing on a milk crate.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
North-West Terrace near the dugout for my first few years then promoted myself to the North.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
South Stand. It is actually the only Stand I ever sat in at the Goldstone - I never got to graduate to the North Stand :down:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
North West Corner above the bogs (1) for a couple of seasons in 1979. Then over to the East Stand on the half way line (2) , half way back for a couple of seasons. Finally, North Stand behind the goal two thirds of the way back (3) until it ceased to exist. West Stand seats for the reserve games (which loads of people used to go to back in the day - I recall maybe 1 or 2,000 at some games).

Found this whilst looking for a pic of the ground - interesting images of the Goldstone being developed in the 50's (new south stand, new west stand) and an aerial shot of the North East corner when it used to be used (I don't think I ever saw people standing in that corner) - http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__7621_path__0p115p209p520p.aspx. Compare the tiny West Stand and the primitive way South Stand was built to Falmer - incredible.

Attachments

• goldstone123.JPG
    goldstone123.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by a moderator:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Very first game I watched from the East terrace. Next season from the North West terrace, and then when old enough to ditch my Dad and go with my mates instead it was front and centre of the North Stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here