Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Goldstone - where did you stand or sit when you first watched the Albion?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
East terrace on a stool in the beginning then in the staff only sectioned off bit behind the dugout. ( My daddy worked there)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
East Stand on a fishing stool covered with a small board. That was a good view. Occasionally West Stand if it was raining heavily(my grandparents used to come with us back in the day). That was an o.k view but the plus point was I got to stand near the tunnel and get the players' autographs. North Stand once I was old enough to stand on my own. Two thirds of the way up, just to the left of the central aisle. Fantastic! Went in the south stand once thanks to some free tickets from my school. Not a great view and pretty dull. Still, got to see Trevor Sinclair score a wonder goal for Blackpool infront of me.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The singing bit in the middle of the North Stand. Then progressed to South Stand and next to pen in the Chicken Run. Happy days when you could get a beer and still watch the match.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
First ever game in the seats behind the standing area in the South stand (before the fire!), then on a box at the front of the Northwest, then to the North where I remained till the end!

May 22, 2008
well i started aged about 5 on the east........at 13 had season tix in west with my grandfather left of directors box looking from the pitch.

and from around 16 north stand with my buddy STEVE FOSTER not the player.:falmer:

Socky

Sockmonster
Jun 24, 2008
Brighton
My Dad used to smuggle me in under his coat and then I would sit on a bit of concrete at the end of a row in the middle of the West Stand. The guys on the gate knew what we were doing but they just allowed us in. Lasted for at least a season back in 1971/2. Been going ever since. Thanks Dad. You gave me a life long gift. Rough and smooth but I know will always support the Albion.

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
East Terrace - about a third of the way along the pitch (from the North Stand end) and about two-thirds of the way back from the edge of the pitch.

About 10 yards in front of you, behind us was a bloke who ALWAYS shouted "we're in the stripes" as soon as the first misplaced pass was made. Was that you?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The very first time I went, was a friendly game against Chelsea (lost 2-0), in the early 70s, the one and only time my data took me, and the one and only time I sat in the South stand. Once I started going regularly, initially I went into the North, later on I moved to the West (Southern End), then most of the later years was on the East Terrace, including the Jimmy Case Testimonial and the final home game there.

Used to scramble under the East Terrace fencing (corrugated iron) and move around a bit there. That was from about 1960 to 62. Twatfaced old codgers seemed to like telling us to stop roaming about or get away from them or whatever.
Then sat in the almost empty South Stand wooden pews in the late 60's.
Mid 1970's I went back, and joined some workmates in the South Stand terrace part with the goal in front of me just to the left.
Then, after trying a couple of matches in the East Terrace - where the moaning whingers and weather influenced me to the North Stand....where I stayed.

I went to just one or two games sitting in the West Stand, but the guffers with cigars talked like they knew it all and were too stoic and sedentary - and they added nothing to the atmosphere except smoke and talk about their latest deal or the new Jag or whatever. Still, nothing like as painful as the East Terrace lot.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
East stand on the touchline wall, standing on a wooden box my dad made. Milk crates were also widely used to stand on.
Progressed (with age) via the west stand south end to the north stand.

Its like the story of my life ! :thumbsup:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
on the shelf half way up the east terrace, big step better view for short youngster.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
South East corner (it was part of the South Stand terrace) from the early 70s until about 82 when my dad and I bought season tickets in the new seating in the South Stand. By the mid 80s we had season tickets in the West Stand. I then moved to the Staes for a few years. By the time I came back the club was well and truly on the slippery slope and I used to generally go in either the East Terrace or North Stand. I have to say that I really noticed how tatty the ground had got when I came back - especially after being used to going to the latest stadiums for sporting and other events. What happy memories.

Now I wonder where my first seat in Falmer will be..........

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
First game midweek v Wolves in the East Stand, pretty much after that always behind the goal in the South Stand

:falmer:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
About 10 years old,against the front wall behind the north goal.Sometimes i moved to same position behind the south goal at half time......Alan Duffys screamer and Bobby Smiths diving header (both north stand goals )are still the goals i remember the most from my childhood .

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Fire? I never knew there was a fire at the goldstone. Tell me more!

The South stand was front part Terrace and back part wooden seats. There were two fires one caused little damage but the second one caused quite a bit of damage. Both were after matches so it is assumed started by fag ends, which was always a danger in any ground that had wooden seats (Bradford!).

The main fire caused the stand to be rebuilt as an all seater concrete/plastic stand.

Around that period remember one match standing behind the South goal in the mid 70's and through the match we were convinced we could smell fire - even sang a song about calling the fire brigade. It was not until half time that one of the chaps standing nearby realised one leg of his jeans had been smouldering from the bottom and had slowly burnt a large hole!

Certainly would not happen nowadays in all seater no smoking stadiums!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here