Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The gigantic squad - who is leaving?

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
So your solution is to keep Igor because he’s left footed? Are you forgetting that he’s got the agility of a cruise ship? That he runs like he’s towing a lorry? Or that he’s generally just not very good? Sell now whilst there’s abit of (rumoured) interest from Italy.
Being left footed is just a bonus. Igor gets some unfair slack on NSC, he's a great player, strong, great on the ball, not sure why you think he's particularly slow, sure he's not the fastest but not as slow as you described........

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm absolutely sure he wouldn't have signed for Brighton unless he was going to be in the squad. In the squad, that is, not necessarily in the team - a place in the team would still have to be earned, of course.
Can you imagine the conversion?
"OK Amario lad - you want to leave Arsenal because Saka is blocking your path to the first team. Right?"
"Yeh"
"How about signing for Brighton then?"
"Umm.....OK"
"Good lad. Sign here. You'll be spending next season on loan at Stoke."
"**** off!"
He'll definitely be in the squad. He's English and under 21, so counts as homegrown and doesn't count to the squad size.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
He'll definitely be in the squad. He's English and under 21, so counts as homegrown and doesn't count to the squad size.

He won’t count towards the HGP criteria either, he will in time, but HGP only matters to players named in the 25 man PL squad.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
you can see how the squad evolves over the summer on the 24/25 summer squad thread.

re: gigantic squad. it'll work itself out. The club normally loan 17-20 players out per season and i doubt this year will be any different . Many u21 regulars last year will be headed to the EFL or equivalent in Europe. Although loans tend to happen quite late in the window.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I didn't realise that. Why won't he count as a HGP?

Because the HGP rules only applies to the named 25 man squad. Under 21s don’t have to be named in the 25 man squad so therefore don’t count towards the HGP criteria.

It isnt that you need a minimum of HGP it is that there is a maximum of non-HGP.

The rule is there can be a maximum of 17 non HGP players in the named 25 man squad.

The other 8 places are reserved for HGPs but you can name as many or a few as you like/have in the squad. So if you don’t have 8 you’d just name a smaller squad.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Moder
Lamptey
Sima
Groß
Kozlowski
Undav
Steele
Dahoud

And perhaps a surprise.

Veltman is in the last year of his contract so :shrug:
Sounds right, except

I think we'll give Lamptey a new deal and we won't be able to shift Dahoud.

Also I'd imagine Sarmiento will leave

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Because the HGP rules only apply to the names 25 man squad. Under 21s don’t have to be named in the 25 man squad so therefore don’t count towards the HGP criteria.
Right, so he doesn't count because he's under 21. But essentially he still wouldn't count to our squad size, is that right?

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Right, so he doesn't count because he's under 21. But essentially he still wouldn't count to our squad size, is that right?
Yes. We are allowed up to 25 players over the age of 21 and could have 1,000 players under 21 if we wanted to.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

He’s under 21 so therefore doesn’t count towards the 25 man PL squad that has to be named at the end of the transfer window.

That applies to any player born on or after January 1st 2003, they are considered an U21 for the upcoming season.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Why does this sound like what an AI image generator would come up with for a Brighton prompt?
I initially wrote 100 and then thought that wasn't much of an exaggeration and might even cause worry as we sign 20 more wonderkids this summer...

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Point taken, but perhaps we need another word for squad. Yes, there's 'the squad' - a list of up to 25 plyers over 21, minimum of 8 HGPs (I think) that has to be submitted to the league..................... but there is still another first team 'squad' (as shown on the club's website) and young Cozier-Dubery may well have been told he will be in that squad, in the same way that, say, Ferguson, Hinsh and Fecundo are very much part of that first team squad.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Point taken, but perhaps we need another word for squad. Yes, there's 'the squad' - a list of up to 25 plyers over 21, minimum of 8 HGPs (I think) that has to be submitted to the league..................... but there is still another first team 'squad' (as shown on the club's website) and young Cozier-Dubery may well have been told he will be in that squad, in the same way that, say, Ferguson, Hinsh and Fecundo are very much part of that first team squad.
There is no HGP minimum, there is only a maximum of 17 non-HGP (over the age of 21). So we could have a declared squad of 17 non-HGP and not a single British player.

Seems a bit harsh on Dunk and the others, but we could.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here