Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The gigantic squad - who is leaving?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
(scroll down to the bottom to skip out on the reasoning and go to my predictions)

Brighton had one of the biggest squads in the league last season and with four new signings and returning loanees, we now have a squad of at least 37 players who expect to see first team action somewhere:

Goalies: Verbruggen, Steele, Rushworth (3)

Defenders: Lamptey, Igor, Dunk, Webster, Barco, Veltman, Van Hecke, Estupinan (8)

Midfielders: Milner, Gilmour, Dahoud, Leonard, Hinshelwood, Gross, Baleba, Moder, Buonanotte, Ayari, Koslowski, Wieffer (12)

Forwards: Welbeck, Ferguson, Joao Pedro, March, Mitoma, Sima, Enciso, Undav, Adingra, Minteh, Cozy Blueberry, Sarmiento, Mazilu, Osman (14)

Could probably add a couple of players from the U23 team as I don't see players like Ed Turns, Offiah, Peupion and arguably a couple of others as likely to want to stick around and play youth football the entire season. I've also removed one first team player, Tom McGill, from this list as there's nothing indicating he expects to see any sort of action anywhere.

As we can see, both midfield and attack are really crowded right now and I guess there's where most of the cuts will have to be done.

We could perhaps assume that this lot is moving away: Pascal Gross, Kasper Koslowski, Yasin Ayari, Marc Leonard, Deniz Undav, Adrian Mazilu.

However, this still leaves us on 31 players in a league where most teams have no more than 20-21 players playing regularly over a season.

Looking at the "probably going" category, we can try to remove another few: Dahoud, Sima(?), Rushworth, Steele (if there's anything in the Saints stuff)

Still, 27 players left "expecting" first team football.

This is when it gets more useful to think of players staying:

Absolutely staying: Dunk, Estupinan, Gilmour, Barco, Hinshelwood, Baleba, Milner, Buonanotte, Wieffer, Welbeck, Ferguson, March, Minteh, Adingra, Julio Enciso (15)

Almost certainly staying (like a 90%+ chance): Verbruggen, Webster, Van Hecke(?), Veltman, Mitoma, Joao Pedro (6)

The above means 21.5 players (1.5 goalie + 20 outfield players). To that we want another goalie and ~3 outfield players, taking the squad to a solid 25.5 players (McGill or any other 3rd keeper is the 0.5).

This means AT LEAST (more if we make first team signings and I think another 2 will come) two out of these need to get loaned or sold somewhere:

Igor, Moder, Sarmiento, Osman, Cozy Bear.

I would not be surprised to see four of them go as two other outfield signings come in, with one of Osman or Cozy (likely the latter) going on loan.

BLA BLA BLA SO WHO THE FECK IS LEAVING THEN?!?!?!?!
Jason Steele
Carl Rushworth
Alibigor
Jakub Moder
Mohamed Dahoud
Yasin Ayari
Kacper Koslowski
Marc Leonard
Pascal Gross
(*googling*) .."Cozier-Duberry"
Jeremy Sarmiento
Adrian Mazilu
Deniz Undav
Abdallah Sima

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would not be surprised to see four of them go as two other outfield signings come in, with one of Osman or Cozy (likely the latter) going on loan.

Jason Steele
Carl Rushworth
Alibigor
Jakub Moder
Mohamed Dahoud
Yasin Ayari
Kacper Koslowski
Marc Leonard
Pascal Gross
Jeremy Sarmiento
Adrian Mazilu
Deniz Undav
Abdallah Sima
Cozier-Duberry is supposedly coming to us because he wants first team Premier League games. I'd say that list but Osman going out on loan rather than C-D.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Last season (2022-23) more than half our loanees (12 out of 22) left the club on completion of their loans. Same again this time round?

Watch this space!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
(scroll down to the bottom to skip out on the reasoning and go to my predictions)

Brighton had one of the biggest squads in the league last season and with four new signings and returning loanees, we now have a squad of at least 37 players who expect to see first team action somewhere:

Defenders: Lamptey, Igor, Dunk, Webster, Barco, Veltman, Van Hecke, Estupinan (8)

Midfielders: Milner, Gilmour, Dahoud, Leonard, Hinshelwood, Gross, Baleba, Moder, Buonanotte, Ayari, Koslowski, Wieffer (12)

Forwards: Welbeck, Ferguson, Joao Pedro, March, Mitoma, Sima, Enciso, Undav, Adingra, Minteh, Cozy Blueberry, Sarmiento, Mazilu, Osman (14)

Could probably add a couple of players from the U23 team as I don't see players like Ed Turns, Offiah, Peupion and arguably a couple of others as likely to want to stick around and play youth football the entire season. I've also removed one first team player, Tom McGill, from this list as there's nothing indicating he expects to see any sort of action anywhere.

As we can see, both midfield and attack are really crowded right now and I guess there's where most of the cuts will have to be done.

We could perhaps assume that this lot is moving away: Pascal Gross, Kasper Koslowski, Yasin Ayari, Marc Leonard, Deniz Undav, Adrian Mazilu.

However, this still leaves us on 31 players in a league where most teams have no more than 20-21 players playing regularly over a season.

Looking at the "probably going" category, we can try to remove another few: Dahoud, Sima(?), Rushworth, Steele (if there's anything in the Saints stuff)

Absolutely staying: Dunk, Estupinan, Gilmour, Barco, Hinshelwood, Baleba, Milner, Buonanotte, Wieffer, Welbeck, Ferguson, March, Minteh, Adingra, Julio Enciso (15)

Almost certainly staying (like a 90%+ chance): Verbruggen, Webster, Van Hecke(?), Veltman, Mitoma, Joao Pedro (6)

The above means 21.5 players (1.5 goalie + 20 outfield players). To that we want another goalie and ~3 outfield players, taking the squad to a solid 25.5 players (McGill or any other 3rd keeper is the 0.5).

This means AT LEAST (more if we make first team signings and I think another 2 will come) two out of these need to get loaned or sold somewhere:

Jason Steele
Carl Rushworth
Alibigor
Jakub Moder
Mohamed Dahoud
Yasin Ayari
Kacper Koslowski
Marc Leonard
Pascal Gross
Jeremy Sarmiento
Adrian Mazilu
Deniz Undav
Abdallah Sima
Dude. Go out for a run, or something.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
following a season where we were derailed in great part by a long injury list, and lots of comments regarding we didnt have enought strength in depth, is it possible that we wont dratically trim the playing squad- I fully expect some of the U21s who realistically aren't going to make first team squads regularly move to championship or other leagues, but Im hoping we keep a large squad of first team ready players so that a couple of suspensions, injuries wont see us regretting letting players go

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I would imagine Ayari, Koslowski, Sarmineto, Sima and Undav, will be sold or loaned out. Dahoud, Leonard, Igor, and Gross will leave.

So not including home grown under 21's, I think the squad is 25. I think Mazilu and Osman will go on loan which takes it to 23 so there could be space for 2 more signings, plus any for the development squad / loan out. Or maybe keep Osman and sign 1 more for the first team squad.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I’d guess Osman will avoid a loan as he’s likely the most versatile of the wing options and has shown promise when playing as a 9.

Looking at the numbers it seems we will loan or sell a fair few of the midfield options and likely replace with at least 1 first team ready signing. Bringing in a versatile wing back and maybe a younger centre half should balance out the squad nicely.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We need more than 21. For a start, we’ve got at about 4 players (March, Estupinan, Ferguson Hinsh) who we think are currently injured with no certain return date. If we go into the season with 21, then we’ve got 3 u23s on the bench from day 1. If 3 or 4 more go down in pre season, we’re struggling to put a competitive side out for the first day of the season. That would be utterly negligent

In terms if the number we need, the way I would look at it is … We’re likely to run at between 4 to 8 injuries / suspensions at any one time. Last season was more at times, but let’s say 6 is a reasonable average. Of a matchday squad of 20, you probably want no more than 3 u21 players. So 17 players, plus 6 presumed injuries. A squad of 23 seems right sized when you look at it purely at the numbers

But of course, It’s not just the injuries you need to think about, it’s the concentration of them in a position that really hurts you, so I would add 2 on to cover difficult to fill in positions, such as wing backs.

So that’s a squad of 25. Assuming all 25 are fit, then 5 senior players won’t make the matchday squad, which would be bad for morale. But that will never happen.

Out of your list I’ve put the following as players that for different reasons I don’t think will get a squad number this August. Ayari, Koslowski, Moder, Gross, Leonard, Dahoud, Sima, Undav, Mazilu, Sarmiento, Rushworth, Cozy Blueberry, Veltman

Goalies: Verbruggen, Steele, (2)

Defenders: Lamptey, Igor, Dunk, Webster, Barco, Van Hecke, Estupinan (7)

Midfielders: Milner, Gilmour, , Hinshelwood, Baleba, Buonanotte, Wieffer (6)

Forwards: Welbeck, Ferguson, Joao Pedro, March, Mitoma, , Enciso, Adingra, Minteh, Osman (9)

That’s 24. I think we’ll get one more first team player in, maybe the Turkish lad. I wouldn't be astonished if we loaned Baleba out as well. Some youth player will fill the third keeper slot

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Jason Steele
Carl Rushworth
Alibigor
Jakub Moder
Mohamed Dahoud
Yasin Ayari
Kacper Koslowski
Marc Leonard
Pascal Gross
Jeremy Sarmiento
Adrian Mazilu
Deniz Undav
Abdallah Sima
I wish you were leaving :moo:

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
We need more than 21. For a start, we’ve got at about 4 players (March, Estupinan, Ferguson Hinsh) who we think are currently injured with no certain return date. If we go into the season with 21, then we’ve got 3 u23s on the bench from day 1. If 3 or 4 more go down in pre season, we’re struggling to put a competitive side out for the first day of the season. That would be utterly negligent

In terms if the number we need, the way I would look at it is … We’re likely to run at between 4 to 8 injuries / suspensions at any one time. Last season was more at times, but let’s say 6 is a reasonable average. Of a matchday squad of 20, you probably want no more than 3 u21 players. So 17 players, plus 6 presumed injuries. A squad of 23 seems right sized when you look at it purely at the numbers

But of course, It’s not just the injuries you need to think about, it’s the concentration of them in a position that really hurts you, so I would add 2 on to cover difficult to fill in positions, such as wing backs.

So that’s a squad of 25. Assuming all 25 are fit, then 5 senior players won’t make the matchday squad, which would be bad for morale. But that will never happen.

Out of your list I’ve put the following as players that for different reasons I don’t think will get a squad number this August. Ayari, Koslowski, Moder, Gross, Leonard, Dahoud, Sima, Undav, Mazilu, Sarmiento, Rushworth, Cozy Blueberry, Veltman

Forwards: Welbeck, Ferguson, Joao Pedro, March, Mitoma, , Enciso, Adingra, Minteh, Osman (9)

That’s 24. I think we’ll get one more first team player in, maybe the Turkish lad. I wouldn't be astonished if we loaned Baleba out as well. Some youth player will fill the third keeper slot
Good points raised about the injuries. I hope to god its nothing like last year.
I would expect the see Velts again though surely, and Baleba showed some real promise at times so I hope he's not loaned and we see a real breakout season from him.
If we loan him out and keep Milner I give up.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No way is Cozier-Duberry (why has he been allocated a silly name already?) not going to be in the squad. He simply wouldn't have signed unless he was going to be in the first team squad!

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I agree that some will be leaving, and that those that leave will probably be from your list, but I’m not sure we’ll trim as drastically as you predict.

I suspect the new manager will take a look at what we’ve got in pre-season, but will want to see players tested in the first half of the season before perhaps selling (or more likely loaning) out those down the pecking order in January.

It would be different if the manager wasn’t new, but I also suspect the club will be wary of leaving the squad too thin given what happened last season.

Time will tell. I wouldn’t personally be losing any CBs if we’re going to play three at the back.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Personally I’d like to see Webster and Igor moved on and replaced with 1 big signing at Centre back. I’d then keep Veltman.

That would leave: Dunk, JPVH, New CB, Veltman for the Centre back positions. Would also say Pervis could quite happily play the left centre back position, with Barco at wing back. We also have March (if he returns) who is excellent at left wing back.

Looking at the squad we are almost definitely still a creative Centre midfielder short if Gross goes. It’s annoying because KDH would have been perfect.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
A huge squad. But guarantee we make more than one signing still.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Cozier-Duberry is supposedly coming to us because he wants first team Premier League games. I'd say that list but Osman going out on loan rather than C-D.
I think a lot of people are confusing "first team Premier League games" with "first team Premier League games this season".

He might have thought "I'm never breaking into my position here in Arsenal" and we might have said "we have a plan for you and in a year you will replace this lad in our squad, unless you f*** up somehow".

It sounds very weird that we would have made any kind of promise that he would play for us this season. More likely we have a clear plan for him and he likes it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think a lot of people are confusing "first team Premier League games" with "first team Premier League games this season".

He might have thought "I'm never breaking into my position here in Arsenal" and we might have said "we have a plan for you and in a year you will replace this lad in our squad, unless you f*** up somehow".

It sounds very weird that we would have made any kind of promise that he would play for us this season. More likely we have a clear plan for him and he likes it.
We'll see. Arsenal could easily have extended his contract and loaned him out for a season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here