• Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The only element of health attached to a Tory majority will be a health warning.

I'm increasingly torn over the plight of many ordinary Brexiter folk. Are they victims of the billionaire non-dom press barons? Or are they just about to get the government they really deserve?

Or both.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm increasingly torn over the plight of many ordinary remainer folk.... are they worried we may end up as well off as Switzerland or Norway after leaving the money draining EU.

Norway's government is probably left of Corbyn, are you therefore going to go all in on this statement?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Essential though in the instance of getting something important done eg. Brexit.

The last 3 and a bit years have illustrated how difficult it is getting anything through in Parliament without a clear majority.

If you can't convince people who don't agree with you of the merits of your idea, is your idea that good to start with?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm increasingly torn over the plight of many ordinary remainer folk.... are they worried we may end up as well off as Switzerland or Norway after leaving the money draining EU.

That's actually quite a funny post, please do carry on...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Perhaps he'll join the Monster Raving Loony party if he becomes a Lord ?

Lying Lord Farage has a certain ring to it.

One of the lesser noted post-2016 political shifts has been that of the OMRLP from "weird people with mad ideas" to "full on No Deal Brexit demanders". Although some might say it was a natural progression.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If you can't convince people who don't agree with you of the merits of your idea, is your idea that good to start with?

All comes down to why these people are there then.

I doubt that PR will be happening anytime soon around here, the Brexit farce will not have helped the cause either.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Representative democracy suggests that they are there to act on behalf of their constituents according to what they believe to be in the best interests of them and the country.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Representative democracy suggests that they are there to act on behalf of their constituents according to what they believe to be in the best interests of them and the country.

Worked well, I'm sure you'll agree. PR would be similarly efficient in controversial areas.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I doubt that PR will be happening anytime soon around here, the Brexit farce will not have helped the cause either.
Brexit was only a farce because the Tories made it so.

Any Brexit where we stayed inside the customs union, safeguarding the GFA and free movement across the Irish border will have sailed through the commons within 3 months of the referendum result. The subsequent mess has only happened because the ERG and former-UKIP membership have taken over the Conservative party and insisted a hard Brexit was the only possible Brexit, despite a paper-thin majority that served as no mandate whatsoever.

Sadly, I think Johnson will get his mandate with this election because there are so many people who have swallowed the narrative that the delay is all down to remainers blocking the will of the people, and when it happens we are going to see our economy hit the doldrums and all sorts of civil unrest in Ireland. I'm sure people like you will be delighted though and will find new ways of blaming remainers and all the other parties for our subsequent blindingly obvious downturn in fortunes.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Any Brexit where we stayed inside the customs union, safeguarding the GFA and free movement across the Irish border will have sailed through the commons within 3 months of the referendum result. The subsequent mess has only happened because the ERG and former-UKIP membership have taken over the Conservative party and insisted a hard Brexit was the only possible Brexit, despite a paper-thin majority that served as no mandate whatsoever.

Sadly, I think Johnson will get his mandate with this election because there are so many people who have swallowed the narrative that the delay is all down to remainers blocking the will of the people, and when it happens we are going to see our economy hit the doldrums and all sorts of civil unrest in Ireland. I'm sure people like you will be delighted though and will find new ways of blaming remainers and all the other parties for our subsequent blindingly obvious downturn in fortunes.

Once again comes back to the much raised point.

Had the remain MPs accepted the referendum result and used their collected creative and educated minds to come up with a positive, beneficial exit strategy instead of just voting NO with arms folded each time, we might be in a stronger position.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Worked well, I'm sure you'll agree. PR would be similarly efficient in controversial areas.

No, it would require a compromise solution to be found, not a dictatorial approach as we have seen throughout the Brexit process, first from May and then from Johnson. Persuasion, not bombast.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Had the remain MPs accepted the referendum result and used their collected creative and educated minds to come up with a positive, beneficial exit strategy instead of just voting NO with arms folded each time, we might be in a stronger position.

Remain MPs did when they voted to trigger Article 50. Not liking the deal at the end has nothing to do with respecting the referendum or otherwise.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Yes but now we will be able to strike our own trade deals, a glorious future awaits

But in 3 years on this thread still not one Brexiter has presented a significant NEW trade export opportunity that we don't already have.

Is tea, jam and biscuits still at the centre of the UK’s Brexit trade strategy??

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...m-and-biscuits-ridiculed-online-a3373336.html

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
No, it would require a compromise solution to be found, not a dictatorial approach as we have seen throughout the Brexit process, first from May and then from Johnson. Persuasion, not bombast.

As was raised in numerous bulletins, opponents had chances to come up with what WOULD work instead of simply saying NO to proposals. Perhaps hoping it might go away?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Persuasive stuff... if leaving the EU means we'll be presented huge natural resources and tourist-attracting mountains then I could change my mind.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Once again comes back to the much raised point.

By saying that, you show that you completely misunderstand what happened here.

Firstly, the opposition parties were in no position to come up with a positive beneficial exit strategy, they were in opposition and thus don't drive the business of the day. Additionally, there was always a strong argument for a cross party negotiating team for Brexit, but the Tories were having none of it. Instead, they chose to march in cluelessly armed with pens and paper - I'm specifically looking at David Davies here - and half their team were remain minded anyway.

What's more, Jeremy Corbyn must have said 100 times over various PMQTs that we must stay in the customs union in order for him to vote for Brexit. It wasn't an unreasonable request then and it isn't now. Alternatively, some sort of arrangement akin to Norway might have worked as well. Why are the BXP and Tories not looking at that sort of arrangement?

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
From the Guardian. My colleague Steven Morris says it is starting to look as if Boris Johnson might be giving Glastonbury a miss after all.

steven morris
(@stevenmorris20)
“He hasn’t got the balls” is the chant in Glastonbury now - looks like the PM is a no show... pic.twitter.com/26q2FOHonz

JOHNSON RUNNING SCARED OF THE PEOPLE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here