• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
You need to be elected to implement a policy. Momentum labout will never form a government. :shrug:

I have no idea what "Momentum" labour is to start with. I know pretty much bugger all about them. Anyway, I thought most of the labour manifesto pledges were pretty good, and apart from the later add on for womens pensions seemed costed.(not that I think they needed to do that, but that is an altogether different macro economic argument).

Apart from their Brexit stance, and I know you dont like Corbyn and his co-conspirators, try and leave personalities out of this, which specific policies did you think contributed to the labour defeat, being the most "momentamy". Which were the most damaging politically in your view? If you were re-writing the manifesto what would you have changed?

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
You need to be elected to implement a policy. Momentum labout will never form a government. :shrug:

I have no idea what "Momentum" labour is to start with. I know pretty much bugger all about them. Anyway, I thought most of the labour manifesto pledges were pretty good, and apart from the later add on for womens pensions seemed costed.(not that I think they needed to do that, but that is an altogether different macro economic argument).

Apart from their Brexit stance, and I know you dont like Corbyn and his co-conspirators, try and leave personalities out of this, which specific policies did you think contributed to the labour defeat, being the most "momentamy". Which were the most damaging politically in your view? If you were re-writing the manifesto what would you have changed?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
What's National INSURANCE then?

Totally different thing, as you must know. NHS is funded from general taxation, NI is social security / pensions.

What this Tory is talking about, less than 24 hours after the election, is people having to take out private insurance to pay for health care. Or in his own words "those who can afford to take out an insurance policy". In the clip I heard he made no reference to what would happen to those who can't afford to take out a private insurance policy.

That Tory policy in a nutshell for you.

D

Deleted member 22389

Totally different thing, as you must know. NHS is funded from general taxation, NI is social security / pensions.

What this Tory is talking about, less than 24 hours after the election, is people having to take out private insurance to pay for health care. Or in his own words "those who can afford to take out an insurance policy". In the clip I heard he made no reference to what would happen to those who can't afford to take out a private insurance policy.

That Tory policy in a nutshell for you.

I would be happy to pay some form of insurance, if that meant more nurses, doctors and less waiting around for people. We need to be realistic, the NHS can't go on as it is.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

That Tory policy in a nutshell for you.[/QUOTE

Is your dental treatment free ???. Even under the NHS you have to pay and always have

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Exact Damian Green quote

'We all accept there has to be more money to go into the system. You can pay it just out of general taxation and say it's all free, but that means that people who are currently taxpayers - that are currently 30, 40, 50s now - will have to pay towards their own care at the end of life but also they'll instantly start paying for the older generation's care as well, which I think to put it mildly has fairness implications to it. Or you can try some kind of insurance system so that those who can afford to take out an insurance policy should be encouraged to do so, which will buy them peace of mind.'

From what I read, he's saying that the government is struggling with the social care system in later life. Something most are aware of. It's a difficult one.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
I would be happy to pay some form of insurance, if that meant more nurses, doctors and less waiting around for people. We need to be realistic, the NHS can't go on as it is.

National Insurance is just an addtional, historical tax add-on that doesnt really any more relate to the reality of the costs of social security benefits and the NHS. I`d scrap it and just increase general taxation (assuming taxation is needed at all - but that is another debate). Its totally realistic to pay for the NHS out of general taxation. Why bring in private insurance providers to add an additional cost to the service? We absoultely dont want to go down the horredously unfair, much costlier American model.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
National Insurance is just an addtional, historical tax add-on that doesnt really any more relate to the reality of the costs of social security benefits and the NHS. I`d scrap it and just increase general taxation (assuming taxation is needed at all - but that is another debate). Its totally realistic to pay for the NHS out of general taxation. Why bring in private insurance providers to add an additional cost to the service? We absoultely dont want to go down the horredously unfair, much costlier American model.

Yes, we could pay for the NHS from taxation, but what exactly do you want? For many years I had experience of the German system which is far superior, but costs an awful lot more than the average punter in the UK is prepared to pay. We want it all on the cheap. But if you don't want to pay like the Americans do, then you are left with the current state of the NHS. So, do you want to pay or not?

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
[/B]

Yes, we could pay for the NHS from taxation, but what exactly do you want? For many years I had experience of the German system which is far superior, but costs an awful lot more than the average punter in the UK is prepared to pay. We want it all on the cheap. But if you don't want to pay like the Americans do, then you are left with the current state of the NHS. So, do you want to pay or not?

Personally, assuming the government needs to tax at all - which is another debate - I would be prepared to pay whatever it takes for a completely free social care and health care system including free dentistry and eyes/glasses etc, probably administered at the local authority level rather than with this stupid overlapping, hotch-potch of trusts, commisioning bodies, bla, bla, bla.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here