• Monster Raving Looney Party

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Absolute nonsense. Were you even born at the time or just attempting a history rewrite ? A Liverpool Labour council issuing redundancy notices to workers because of the arrogance of their illegal budget.
No worker was ever sacked by the Liverpool council (until the Lords surcharged and undemocratically removed the council) - the tactic was a mistake - but the council workforce knew that no job was threatened.

The campaigns of intimidation. ‘No compromise with the electorate’.
What 'intimidation' ? - evidence please

This was the period when I left the party, never to return. Militant was a gift for the Tories in the 80s just as Corbyn is now.
If you ever want another Labour Government you might need to take the picture of Che Guevara down from your wall.
Kinnock was a gift to the Tories - he spent most of his time attacking members of his own party.

The Left in Liverpool has mass electoral support in the 1980s - Eric Heffer, Eddie Loyden, Terry Fields, Bob Parry, Bob Wearing - Labour Left in Liverpool were so successful electorally that if their results were replicated across Britain the LP would have romped home with a 100 seat majority in 1987- instead Kinnock tried to out-Tory Thatcher and it blew up in his face.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The backstabbing has started. McCluskey has twatted:

Corbyn refused to apologise several times on TV when asked about Labour’s failure to sort out its anti-Semitism problems, only finally expressing regret during the campaign when cornered by ITV’s This Morning.

“Labour made mistakes,” McCluskey said. “Firstly, the incontinent rush of policies which appeared to offer everything to everyone immediately, and thereby strained voter credulity as well as obscuring the party’s sense of priorities.

“Secondly, failure to apologise for anti-Semitism in the party when pressed to do so, capping years of mishandling of this question.”

But he stressed that it was “Labour’s slow-motion collapse into the arms of the People’s Vote movement and others who have never accepted the democratic decision of June 2016 for a single moment which has caused this defeat”.

In a swipe at the perceived London-centric, middle class focus of Corbyn’s Labour party, McCluskey said: “The next leader needs to understand the communities that gave birth to the labour movement, and realise that the whole country is not very like Labour London.

“As important as it is, too often, Labour addresses the metropolitan wing of its electoral coalition in terms of values – openness, tolerance, human rights – and the ‘traditional’ working-class wing simply in terms of a material offer, as if their constituencies did not have their own values of solidarity and community. That must change.”
Finally red Len makes an appearance. Interesting comments from the puppet master and paymaster.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No worker was ever sacked by the Liverpool council (until the Lords surcharged and undemocratically removed the council) - the tactic was a mistake - but the council workforce knew that no job was threatened.

Really ? They received redundancy notices from a Labour council run by ideological purists.
What 'intimidation' ? - evidence please
I witnessed it first hand. I owe you nothing but here’s an article in the Liverpool Echo I found by using..... google.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....e-kennedy-tackling-militant-meant-3572255.amp

There will be plenty of others if you bother to look.

Kinnock was a gift to the Tories - he spent most of his time attacking members of his own party.

The Left in Liverpool has mass electoral support in the 1980s - Eric Heffer, Eddie Loyden, Terry Fields, Bob Parry, Bob Wearing - Labour Left in Liverpool were so successful electorally that if their results were replicated across Britain the LP would have romped home with a 100 seat majority in 1987- instead Kinnock tried to out-Tory Thatcher and it blew up in his face.

They didn’t do quite so well standing as independents did they...Oh dear. This is the reason you lost. Don’t ever compromise with the electorate. I heard Corbyn interviewed earlier and the first justification for his leadership he came up with was the mantra of how many members Labour now has. It is irrelevant to winning general elections and he is not bothered in much the same way as Militant were more interested in the cloud cuckoo land of pure Leninism.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They didn’t do quite so well standing as independents did they...Oh dear. This is the reason you lost. Don’t ever compromise with the electorate. I heard Corbyn interviewed earlier and the first justification for his leadership he came up with was the mantra of how many members Labour now has. It is irrelevant to winning general elections and he is not bothered in much the same way as Militant were more interested in the cloud cuckoo land of pure Leninism.

Trotskyism.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Absolute nonsense. Were you even born at the time or just attempting a history rewrite ? A Liverpool Labour council issuing redundancy notices to workers because of the arrogance of their illegal budget. The campaigns of intimidation. ‘No compromise with the electorate’. This was the period when I left the party, never to return. Militant was a gift for the Tories in the 80s just as Corbyn is now.
If you ever want another Labour Government you might need to take the picture of Che Guevara down from your wall.
Spot on. He'll take as much notice of being put right as Labour took of unrest in its Heartlands that voted leave and were ignored though!

Anybody who can't see the similarity between a dear old left wing buffer from the back benches who was good value on the likes of Question Time but should never have been voted leader leading a party in which an uncompromising ultra-left doctrinaire and unelectable faction is basically the tail wagging the dog (1980s) and a dear old left wing buffer from the back benches who was good value on the likes of Question Time but should never have been voted leader leading a party in which an uncompromising ultra-left doctrinaire and unelectable faction is basically the tail wagging the dog (2019) is either an idiot or trying to rewrite history.

Anyway, this is a General Election thread, and now that the election is over and done perhaps it's time for one of the mods to close it down and lock it - especially now the JRG world of fantasy history has landed here!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm not "suggesting" anything, it's not anecdotal, it's based on happiness indices - they often score highest in happiest countries.

However, I can give some anecdotal evidence - I have been to Denmark 6 times, and have friends who live and work there. It is a ****ton better than here, by and large. They are taxed highly but their standard of living, education, public facilities all kick the shit out of ours. I'd take that happily.

also have a population of five and a bit million and no massive cities that experienced de-industrialisation on an immense scale and speed.

Trying to compare a country funded by petrodollars in one case, and a small agricultural nation with Britain, in the other, simply doesnt work.

Not saying there isnt anything to learn, but even when it's ROI or Scotland fantasising about being like Norway or Denmark it's slightly ridiculous. If it's the UK, it's off the scale.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The backstabbing has started. McCluskey has twatted:

Corbyn refused to apologise several times on TV when asked about Labour’s failure to sort out its anti-Semitism problems, only finally expressing regret during the campaign when cornered by ITV’s This Morning.

“Labour made mistakes,” McCluskey said. “Firstly, the incontinent rush of policies which appeared to offer everything to everyone immediately, and thereby strained voter credulity as well as obscuring the party’s sense of priorities.

“Secondly, failure to apologise for anti-Semitism in the party when pressed to do so, capping years of mishandling of this question.”

But he stressed that it was “Labour’s slow-motion collapse into the arms of the People’s Vote movement and others who have never accepted the democratic decision of June 2016 for a single moment which has caused this defeat”.

In a swipe at the perceived London-centric, middle class focus of Corbyn’s Labour party, McCluskey said: “The next leader needs to understand the communities that gave birth to the labour movement, and realise that the whole country is not very like Labour London.

“As important as it is, too often, Labour addresses the metropolitan wing of its electoral coalition in terms of values – openness, tolerance, human rights – and the ‘traditional’ working-class wing simply in terms of a material offer, as if their constituencies did not have their own values of solidarity and community. That must change.”

If I was IC of the next steps for the Labour Party I’d move the party HQ as far away from London as possible, Leeds, Manchester even Birmingham, and reconnect with the Non London Labour Supporters.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well the best bit about this is that I can refer to picaninnies, tank top wearing bum boys and what not without fear of a telling off. If the elected PM can say it, so can I. Game on.

D

Deleted member 2719

Are you [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] in disguise :lolol::lolol:

One trick Watford, never saw that coming.

Nice to see you have come out of hiding.

Hope you will have a more positive outlook, now we are not being blocked anymore.

Boris did resurrect from a ditch.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Johnson has been attcking Corbyn since he was elected - he didn't give a sh*t about the election result - he is just using it as a stick to beat Corbyn. The guy is an arch-Blairite - what else would you expect of him.

That may be true - but I suspect Alan Johnson would have more support amongst traditional Labour supporters than Mr Corbyn ( though I’m afraid that’s just my opinion and I can provide no evidence to substantiate that).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here