NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1204681154168795137[/TWEET]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Efta nations grant freedom to live and work to EU citizens, which is one area where I support the harder brexit

But FoM can be restricted and regulations imposed (Germany already does quite stringently, for example). The UK has the option to do so but chooses not to exercise it.

It also means that UK citizens would enjoy the same rights abroad, which would solve the impending plight of millions of British people already living and working in Europe about to have the rug pulled from underneath them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's because they're not mutually exclusive events non? I.e. if PK wins then the chance of a slimmer Con majority increases.

Regardless, thanks for the tip [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] I've lumped on

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Diverting off in to actual FOOTBALL for a moment, I guess this is not actually mutually exclusive, but if I ever do an acca later on in the season then related results come in to my thinking. For example, if there are two teams that both need a draw to survive or go through in a European group those are normally bankers. Equally a goal at a game that is bad news for team in the same division would change the odds of the "bad news" team scoring next. I suppose it's not quite the same thing as you've highlighted but I've always thought that one match can manipulate another as you get down to squeaky bum time.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Tories say via Johnson they are going to get tough on crime.
https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/1204670242582138881

The Secret Barrister is a defence lawyer and I agree with the vast majority of the tweet even though I retired from the Criminal Justice System five years ago.

1. Replace the 21,000 police officers cut since 2010, and recruit sufficient additional officers to investigate the sharp rise in violent crime.

2. Resource digital forensic investigation units so that it does not take over 12 months to examine a mobile phone or computer, which causes enormous delays before files can even be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service for a charging decision. https://policeprofessional.com/news/forensic-delays-deeply-concerning-as-case-backlog-grows/

3. Reverse the c£1bn cut to prisons that has resulted in dangerous understaffing, a collapse in training and education of prisoners, chronic overcrowding, record violence and self-harm, out-of-control drug abuse, infestation and “not a single establishment safe to hold children.”

4. Fix the unmitigated disaster of Chris Grayling’s part-privatisation of the Probation Service which has put public safety at serious risk.

5. Abolish the Innocence Tax, by which the government refuses you legal aid, forces you to pay privately for your legal defence team and then, when you’re acquitted, refuses to reimburse you, forcing you to sell your house or empty your life savings.

6. Reverse the 25% staff cut to the Crown Prosecution Service, which has led to lawyers and caseworkers juggling unmanageable caseloads, and errors seeping into every stage of the criminal process.

7. Stop selling off the courts. Over 300 courts have been closed down since 2010. Some people - defendants, witnesses, victims - now have to endure a 5-hour round trip on public transport to reach their “local” court.

8. Make the courts that are still open fit for human use. Basics such as running water, working lifts, non-leaking roofs, heating systems and functioning toilets simply don’t exist in many courts, left to rot by ministers who don’t have to visit them.

9. Increase court “sitting days”. Stop locking courtrooms to fiddle figures on a spreadsheet. Stop paying judges to sit at home twiddling thumbs when there’s a backlog of over 30,000 Crown Court trials. It’s a false economy that causes huge delays.

10. Get a grip on the widespread abuse of “Release Under Investigation” (RUI), brought in after the govt changed the laws on police bail to win cheap headlines. RUI sees suspects released for years while investigations plod at a snail’s pace.

11. Find the £195m required to fund Rape Crisis Centres properly so that thousands of survivors don’t find themselves cut adrift with no support.

12. Address the huge problems in forensic science that followed the government’s closure of the Forensic Science Service in 2012, which led to private providers and police laboratories failing to meet basic standards, jeopardising criminal investigations.

13. Address depressed criminal legal aid rates, which leave junior criminal lawyers earning below minimum wage, forcing out of the profession those without independent means, and which have caused a serious retention problem.

14. Review the magistrates’ court system, which hands unqualified volunteers the power to send the rest of us to prison for up to a year, in conditions of sausage factory justice.

15. Reverse the debilitating funding cuts to the Criminal Cases Review Commission, the statutory body responsible for investigating miscarriages of justice.

16. Commit to addressing the ongoing problems with disclosure, which are rampant not only in high profile cases, but across the criminal court spectrum.

17. Reverse the cuts to youth services (up to 91% in some local authorities) which the All Party Parliamentary Group on Knife Crime suggested are linked to the increase in knife crime.

18. Prioritise introducing the Sentencing Code, to bring some order to and help public understanding of our chaotic and fiendishly complex sentencing laws, which are a baffling minefield due to decades of populist knee-jerk legislating.

19. Address mental health provision. The criminal justice system, and especially prisons, are crammed with people who should not be there. Criminal justice does not exist in a vacuum. The whole system must do better.

20. Improve understanding of the criminal justice system through public legal education. And ensure that, as PM, you don’t worsen the problem by spreading #FakeLaw for cheap applause. Speak truth. Even if you have to plagiarise a legal blogger to do it.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
That's called remaining........................

You don't seem to be very accurate in understanding other people's posts - mine and now this one. I respectfully suggest you read and then reflect for a while before commenting......

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's always struck me as extremely un-Tory. There are the students at Brunel and a lot of people from different ethnic groups.

That’s where Ali Milani can capitalise and I’m winning £50 if he does!

I’ve feeling that another group of voters will decide the election over-all though, and that’s Women voters. There are very strong female political voices against the Tories, I think that they might have some sway.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hopefully Raab gets booted out of Parliament tomorrow, and disgraced former International Development Secretary Patel will no doubt have to resign again soon.

Disagree. Look at the state of Tory party. Under Boris, ministers will only be forced out if they’re serving time. I can see Patel doing all sorts of dodgy things but I think she’ll avoid jail; she’ll have nothing to worry about under Bojo.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So which leader has had the worst campaign?

Johnson I suppose has just been Johnson. Lots of bluff and bluster, big on soundbites but short on detail. A few PR blunders that would have buried other politicians (dodging Andrew Neil and putting that phone in his pocket) but - just as he always does - seems to breeze through relatively unscathed. On course for his majority then - God only knows what after that.

6/10

Corbyn has somehow failed to cut through, in spite of calling for this election for about 3 years. Had to do alot of the heavy lifting himself as seemingly other senior shadow front benchers have been bound and gagged out of site. It is always said that Corbyn loves campaigning but he always seems to be in Labour heartlands, preaching to the converted. A bizaare manifesto that looked like the product of a sixth form common room, and a programme for government that he seems to have failed to communicate effectively. On course for a second GE defeat and retirement from frontline politics.

5/10

The kindest thing that can be said about Jo Swinson is that this election came too early in her leadership. Let's be honest, she has had a shocker. I thought she would perform far better than she has. Possibly on the back foot right from the off when she persisted in making the fanciful claim that she could be PM on 13th December. Nobody was buying that load of horseshit. Has since had to change her strategy but in truth never recovered and loses her composure in TV debates too frequently. That first TV debate in Sheffield was a low point from which she has never recovered. Will she remain leader after the election? Possibly? Probably. After all, who else is there in the Lib Dems to take on the role. Of course, having said all that she could still be power broker in a hung parliament. But unlikely.

The worst of the three for my money. 2/10

Refreshing post on this thread -someone who genuinely wants to look at matters from all sides, with not a hint of insult or claim to be superior over others.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Constituency betting latest

Brighton Kemptown Labour 2/9 Tories 3/1 Lib Dems 33/1 Labour Seat
Brighton Pavilion Greens 1/100 Labour 25/1 Tories 25/1 Green Seat
Hove Labour 1/12 (someone read my post) Tories 9/1 Labour Seat
Lewes Tories 4/7 Lib Dems 6/4 Tory Seat
Eastbourne Tories 4/7 Lib Dems 5/4 Lib Dem Seat
Hastings Tories 4/7 Labour 5/4 Tory Seat
Mid Sussex Tories 1/100 Labour 33/1 Tory Seat
Crawley Tories 1/9 Labour 5/1 Tory Seat
East Worthing Tories 1/16 Labour 9/1 Tory Seat
Worthing West Tories 1/80 Labour 16/1 Tory Seat

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My gut feeling is that we'll end up with a hung parliament, with the SNP (on the promise of a second Indyref) and the LibDems (on the promise of a second Brexit referendum) supporting a Labour government - probably not a formal coalition, but a confidence and supply arrangement.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Diverting off in to actual FOOTBALL for a moment, I guess this is not actually mutually exclusive, but if I ever do an acca later on in the season then related results come in to my thinking. For example, if there are two teams that both need a draw to survive or go through in a European group those are normally bankers. Equally a goal at a game that is bad news for team in the same division would change the odds of the "bad news" team scoring next. I suppose it's not quite the same thing as you've highlighted but I've always thought that one match can manipulate another as you get down to squeaky bum time.

I reckon the first example is one where the situation prior to the matches being played has a bearing on the odds, rather than the matches themselves. The second one, you're right, but again you don't know prior to the match whether team A is going to score.

I'm glad for the diversion! This football betting chat feels like diving headfirst into a cool, clear water amid this squalid, fetid thread which is doing few of us any favours.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Another publicity stunt

[tweet]1204665157936467969[/tweet]

I'm waiting for the inevitable edit of Pat Mustard from Father Ted filling in (as he often did fnarr fnarr)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
cf0c0a8d3d0e48c400cc2fbd2a07949d.jpg

The Brexit/Tory Party leave Alliance will clear up with this message.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Refreshing post on this thread -someone who genuinely wants to look at matters from all sides, with not a hint of insult or claim to be superior over others.

What about the reference to a "six form common room manifesto". I guess you meant it was a post that tallied somewhat with your own views.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1204731734480347136[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here