• Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It appears Sally-Ann Hart is being criticised for her support of an article concerning therapeutic exemption from the minimum wage which was written by Rosa Monckton (hence why she keeps asking the people shouting to please read the article)
Rosa Monckton herself is a campaigner for young adults with learning disabilities and runs a charity in Brighton named after her daughter who has Down’s Syndrome, the charity aims to help young adults with learning difficulties gain employment.

It does look like some people have never read the article and have reached straight for the outrage button.
It is worth a read before judgement is made.

I'm pretty sure she is being criticised for her own misunderstanding of the concept of therapeutic exemption.

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
Boris Johnson does obviously. Clearly says talent. You should have listened to it first with your eyes shut and not reading the subtitles.
100% says talent.

it's "clearly" not clear.

It's contentious but reports are giving him benefit of the doubt, so I will too.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Boris Johnson definitely said "people of talent" and he's said it before.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50412772

However, he also said "tank-topped bumboys", "piccaninnies with watermelon smiles" and referred to Muslim women as "letterboxes". Channel 4 have held their hands up and we should be moving on to John Major campaigning against the Conservative Party.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I can understand people saying Rosa Monkton is right, but companies would take advantage in exactly the same way they did when kids were on the YTS.

That doesn't excuse Sally Ann Hart's comment at the hustings.
Ms Hart, who is also a councillor for Rother District Council, said: ‘They should be given the opportunity to work because it’s to do with the happiness they have about working.’ As the audience shouted ‘shameful’ and ‘they deserve a salary’, she responded: ‘Some people with learning disabilities, they don’t understand about money.’ During her response she repeated: ‘It’s about the happiness to work.’

Clumsy at best.

Clumsy it maybe when written like that, but since i havnt seen a video of the whole husting i wouldnt know how the context of the conversation escalated amidst the shouting.
It doesnt seem to be in dispute that the argument is because she is standing by supporting what is written in the article. I still believe there are plenty of people screaming their outrage who havent even read it.
If they had read it, it certainly gives pause for thought regarding the circumstances Rosa Monckton is writing about.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I still wouldn’t be surprised if he was on his way to saying people of colour and caught himself at the last second, hence the clumsy people of talent phrasing and rapid mumbling of the word. But hey ho, he’s still a racist numpty so on we go. Next lie please Boris!

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
jc.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Im pretty sure she is being criticised for her support of an article where the concept of therapeutic exemption is explained in a less clumsy manner by the author.

It's the words - "Some people with learning difficulties don’t understand about money" - that she's being castigated for locally. It's really not gone down well at all, to put it mildly.

Apparently she was due to appear on Victoria Derbyshire this morning, but was strangely taken ill overnight and pulled out. She's managed to put out a statement this morning though:

I have a statement prepared regarding last night's hustings.

“For the avoidance of doubt, I was trying to emphasise that more needs to be done to help those with learning disabilities into the workplace and having properly paid work. I did not say anyone should be paid less.

“My comments have been taken out of context, but I do apologise if any offence or alarm has been caused. The number of disabled people in work has hit a record high under this government, and I am committed to doing more to supporting those with learning disabilities into good, secure jobs.”

Her comments at the hustings come hot on the heels of a photo of her emerging, a Tory candidate in deprived coastal town after 9 years of austerity, grinning happily in a foodbank in Hastings, which hasn't gone too well either:

Hart.jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Hustings at the University of Brighton (Eastbourne Campus) today. Five candidates.

Brexit, Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative & Keep Devonshire Park Tennis Courts Open To The Public

Didn't realise before today that Brexit were fielding a candidate in Eastbourne - presumably good news for Stephen Lloyd's chances of being returned.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Hustings at the University of Brighton (Eastbourne Campus) today. Five candidates.

Brexit, Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative & Keep Devonshire Park Tennis Courts Open To The Public

Didn't realise before today that Brexit were fielding a candidate in Eastbourne - presumably good news for Stephen Lloyd's chances of being returned.

At last a sensible party with sensible policies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here