Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Depends on your definition of 'done'.

But we aren't discussing my definition of 'done', we are discussing the Conservative Parties definition.

Do you believe Brexit will be 'done and dusted' with an elected tory government given the mandate to push their Brexit bill through parliament?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
But we aren't discussing my definition of 'done', we are discussing the Conservative Party's definition.

Do you believe Brexit will be 'done and dusted' with an elected Tory government given the mandate to push their Brexit bill through parliament?

No. Plenty of opportunities ahead. Be silly to be so short sighted, I'm sure you'll agree.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Is it possible to be neo -liberal and hard right at the same time ? don`t understand that or is it student politics phraseology .

Yes it is. And no, it isn't.

Like any word for a dominant ideology, it can be interpreted in different ways on detail, but in essence:

'Neoliberalism sees competition as the defining characteristic of human relations. It redefines citizens as consumers, whose democratic choices are best exercised by buying and selling, a process that rewards merit and punishes inefficiency. It maintains that “the market” delivers benefits that could never be achieved by planning'

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/15/neoliberalism-ideology-problem-george-monbiot

So I believe a government can be neoliberal and economically hard right, yes.
The shift of this government away from social liberalism (eg on immigration) is just a bonus feature I guess.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes it is. And no, it isn't.

Like any word for a dominant ideology, it can be interpreted in different ways on detail, but in essence:

'Neoliberalism sees competition as the defining characteristic of human relations. It redefines citizens as consumers, whose democratic choices are best exercised by buying and selling, a process that rewards merit and punishes inefficiency. It maintains that “the market” delivers benefits that could never be achieved by planning'

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/15/neoliberalism-ideology-problem-george-monbiot

So I believe a government can be neoliberal and economically hard right, yes.
The shift of this government away from social liberalism (eg on immigration) is just a bonus feature I guess.

What's the difference between a neoliberal and a neocon?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I'm no expert so this isn't a definitive answer but I'd say neo-liberalism is a revival of classical liberalism. It's based on a belief in free markets and minimal state intervention. Neo-conservatism has more of a foreign policy bent; the idea of spreading democracy through intervention. Neo-cons believe in the power of markets too but tradition and morality plays a part in their beliefs.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No. Plenty of opportunities ahead. Be silly to be so short sighted, I'm sure you'll agree.

Plenty of opportunities?

Perhaps you could give me your best trade opportunity post Brexit, something we will be able to do in the future we are not already doing?

Just need some reassurance that a vote for Boris is in our best interests....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Neocon - devout capitalist, aggressively anti liberal, a hawk in the use of military overseas eg Mike Pence.

Neolib - has many varied definitions. In the UK, it’s often associated with part privatisation, social policies, part Keynesian economics eg Blair, Alaistair Campbell, Clegg.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Neocon - devout capitalist, aggressively anti liberal, a hawk in the use of military overseas eg Mike Pence.

Neolib - has many varied definitions. In the UK, it’s often associated with part privatisation, social policies, part Keynesian economics eg Blair, Alaistair Campbell, Clegg.

Blair was a Third Way centrist. I certainly wouldn't call him a neo-lib.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here