Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Future Of Dean Wilkins?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
from an outsiders point of view, what did he actually achieve though? when a team wants a new manager it is in order to make progress, and not many teams are going to think "what about dean wilkins, took brighton to a meaningless place in league one"
or they could say, "what about dean wilkins, took an average brighton squad who most thought would finish mid table at best, but wouldn't have been surprised to see them flurt with relagation, to one place off the play offs in his first full season as a first team manager"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I imagine he's weighing up his options in exactly the way McGhee did whilst all his detractors mocked him as being unemployable after his stint here.

I am quite disappointed at what a bunch of fickle fans we are, not many were calling for his head last season and history is being written to make him sound like a Jeff Wood.

Personally reckon he'll get a lower League one or League two job as the sackings start in earnest in a couple of months, if he doesn't decide to go for a youth team job at a higher level team.

Makes me laugh how so many remember Liam Brady as being a good manager and yet now knock DW who did a far better job imo

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
League 2 or Conference??

When he has proved that he can manage a pretty average League 1 squad to within a place of a playoff position??

:bla:

Last seasons League 1 was the weakest I can remember for a long time. He cant manage players and doesn't have that much of a clue when it comes to tactics.

It is widespread that his man management skills are non existent so therefore will not get a managers job at a decent standard.

That's, as I say, if he even wants a managers job anymore.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
If we are going to compare a managers ability on the basis of who they played against as a mark of their managerial abilty then that makes Carlton Palmer a managerial heavyweight.

you're a heavyweight that is for sure, spongebob, you hideous slob

Crezhell

Aug 11, 2008
He was an average player, free kick aside I cannot remember any other Willkins moment in his career, called Wendy as a piss take as he was lightweight and did not tackle, it was not a nickname with affection but malice

An excellent youth team coach

A very average/poor manager

I would be amased if he got a managers job at any level in the 4 leagues.

you must be some kind of moron?
Im pretty sure that if he can get us to 7th in the league, without spending much money at all, taking into account his captain was sold half way through the season...that he'd have no troubles getting a job in the top 4 leagues. To suggest otherwise is rediculous.
Stating that he is an average to poor manager clearly shows you know nothing.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
you must be some kind of moron?
Im pretty sure that if he can get us to 7th in the league, without spending much money at all, taking into account his captain was sold half way through the season...that he'd have no troubles getting a job in the top 4 leagues. To suggest otherwise is rediculous.

Stop stating the obvious.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
The Spongebob comments, when the person in the Avatar could not get his shirt back over his head!!!

why was it spongebob? i just recognised the photo and the name popped into my head, so thought i'd throw out some needless abuse.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
How do any of us know that he han't been offered another job - he is in no rush - club must still be paying him

Last season in an incredibly piss poor League 1 we Won 19 out of 46 games, Lost 15 which is a winning percentage of 41% (Swansea and Leeds won nearly 59% in contrast). We got dumped out of the cup by the club sitting on the bottom of League 2. Add to that the shocking performance against Port Vale and it's difficult to score him higher than average.

He may have lost Hammond (who, as it turns out, wasn't that great a loss to our season) but was given £300,000 Glenn Murray to compensate.

I'd say that average to poor is quite fair.

Having said all of the above-it is time to leave all that behind and concentrate on the upcoming season.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Last seasons League 1 was the weakest I can remember for a long time. He cant manage players and doesn't have that much of a clue when it comes to tactics.

It is widespread that his man management skills are non existent so therefore will not get a managers job at a decent standard.

That's, as I say, if he even wants a managers job anymore.

I am not too sure how the league last year has been deemed so weak, I would suspect that this year is going to be pretty dire too, after all this is the old Div 3, no matter what the PR men at the Football League try and do with the names.

His man-management skills did indeed upset Hart, Mayo and Reid, he had only just released them after not giving them any real playing minutes in 2 years, whilst blooding youngsters and bringing in a couple of new players whilst attaining a very credible 7th place.

Not quite sure how you might be acknowledged as a top coach and bringing through so many youngsters and you conclude that his tac tics are in someway flawed ...its a contridiction !!

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Last season in an incredibly piss poor League 1 we Won 19 out of 46 games, Lost 15 which is a winning percentage of 41% (Swansea and Leeds won nearly 59% in contrast). We got dumped out of the cup by the club sitting on the bottom of League 2. Add to that the shocking performance against Port Vale and it's difficult to score him higher than average.

He may have lost Hammond (who, as it turns out, wasn't that great a loss to our season) but was given £300,000 Glenn Murray to compensate.

I'd say that average to poor is quite fair.

Having said all of the above-it is time to leave all that behind and concentrate on the upcoming season.

so you were unhappy with 7th were you?

what do you think adams will achieve this year in comparison?

and no bollocks about the league being harder or easier

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here