Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Future Of Dean Wilkins?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
You have accepted grudgingly that he didnt do a bad job, so there is some recognition that he may of even done a 'good' job eh .....

The released players views and the perception of at least the last couple of managers man-management style is a fairly new trait that to some extent the club are comfortable with and can even encourage whilst Naylors happy to 'play fleet street'. The actual actions of managers and the feelings of any released players remain the same than a decade or two ago, the desire for gossip and headlines within the football world has just got a little crazier, thats all.

I accept that there are more applicants than actual managers jobs at any decent level because the financial rewards remain particularly high, but my point has always been that it was a bad decision to release him when they did, he made some very good progress.

I think he did a very good job in the transfer market, signed some real quality players (Racon, Richards, Murray, Forster and Thomson). I just thought other aspects of his role lacked (Constant slow starts to games, tactics and substitutions were baffiling at times)

I just didn't see Wilkins being the manager when we got to Falmer, I always had the feeling he was more of a caretaker until we had the green light for Falmer and a bit of cash to spend. He was promoted a bit too early for my liking as well, was thrown in at the deepend far too early if we were serious about him as a long term manager. Was left to clear up what was left by McGhee and thats not a good way to start a mangerial career.

1066gull

think its a case of wilkins applying rather than a club after him

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Calm down Gav.

You really cannot cope with people questioning you. Probably a good thing you work on your own.

You probably right Piers, at the moment I can quite often start an argument with myself. I have calmed down now.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
no I am sick and tired of being abused just because my opinion is different to someone elses, you called me a moron as I had a different opinion to you, and Uncle well he just likes to piss me off for about 5 years now, like an annoying fly around your head

You don't do yourself any favours do you. Look at the thread about NSC Virgo knockers - Your anti Wilkins post is irrelevant, but you just couldn't help yourself, in the same way that you repeatedly looked for any tenuous link to spout your pro McGhee agenda last season. Why don't you do yourself a favour and stop antagonising people with this pro McGhee/anti Wilkins nonsense. To dismiss Wilkins' twenty years service the way you do is spiteful, disrespectful and ridiculous and if you want to stop provoking reaction you should keep it to yourself.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I can't argue with that really. Fair play.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think he did a very good job in the transfer market, signed some real quality players (Racon, Richards, Murray, Forster and Thomson). I just thought other aspects of his role lacked (Constant slow starts to games, tactics and substitutions were baffiling at times)

I just didn't see Wilkins being the manager when we got to Falmer, I always had the feeling he was more of a caretaker until we had the green light for Falmer and a bit of cash to spend. He was promoted a bit too early for my liking as well, was thrown in at the deepend far too early if we were serious about him as a long term manager. Was left to clear up what was left by McGhee and thats not a good way to start a mangerial career.

That seems how Dick Knight saw it.

But when in a managers role you deserve the full support of the chairman if as you concede some parts were good and the 7th position remains commendable, it is never healthy when later the chairman admits that irrespective of any achievement he would sack him anyhows, doesnt bode well for any future progress.

It s a bizaare admission and something that questions his qualification for the role of chairman.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
That seems how Dick Knight saw it.

But when in a managers role you deserve the full support of the chairman if as you concede some parts were good and the 7th position remains commendable, it is never healthy when later the chairman admits that irrespective of any achievement he would sack him anyhows, doesnt bode well for any future progress.

It s a bizaare admission and something that questions his qualification for the role of chairman.

It is not necessarily a bizarre admission nor does it necessarily question his qualification for the role of chairman.

If DW was going to be sacked anyway regardless of league position then there must have been other compelling reasons behind it.

Until and unless we are told what those other reasons were, we can't possibly make a judgement on the sacking decision either way.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It is not necessarily a bizarre admission nor does it necessarily question his qualification for the role of chairman.

If DW was going to be sacked anyway regardless of league position then there must have been other compelling reasons behind it.

Until and unless we are told what those other reasons were, we can't possibly make a judgement on the sacking decision either way.

I am assured that there is no suggestion of any impropriety and the subsequent offer of a major coaching role within the club would suggest that that is correct.

Therefore the chairman's I would 'of sacked Wilkins at any cost' remains a bizaare statement.

It follows that maybe we have a chairman that is more inclined to make decisions based on his own fragile ego, rather than having any manager that might deliver success to our club.

If we assume that Adams current start continues and we become wonderfully successful, what happens if Adams and Knight have a disagreement, what might Knight do then ?

It might follow that he would at a time of a downturn muster support to sack Adams too !!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I am assured that there is no suggestion of any impropriety and the subsequent offer of a major coaching role within the club would suggest that that is correct.

Therefore the chairman's I would 'of sacked Wilkins at any cost' remains a bizaare statement.

It follows that maybe we have a chairman that is more inclined to make decisions based on his own fragile ego, rather than having any manager that might deliver success to our club.

If we assume that Adams current start continues and we become wonderfully successful, what happens if Adams and Knight have a disagreement, what might Knight do then ?

It might follow that he would at a time of a downturn muster support to sack Adams too !!

You are still assuming something you don't know. There could be any number of reasons. You might be right that it is bizarre, but you don't know the reasons, so you could be wrong.

I am totally open-minded on it because I know none of the facts. To form an opinion on knowing nothing makes the opinion worthless.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Dick Knight

I think it is totally incorrect to say that Dick Knight is not fit to be chairman. The big picture is that he has done a great job in keeping us alive and (seemingly) getting us to Falmer. He has also appointed some great managers who were probably above the status we deserved (no ground, no money).

However, he is human and makes mistakes. I think he was surprised how McGhee's managerial regime fell apart, and made a mistake in appointing Dean Wilkins. A mistake because Wilkins was not suited to management, so we ended up losing a good youth team coach (vital for a poor club), and Wilkins ends up with no job, which is why a lot of people feel aggrieved for him. Sadly for him, I cannot see him getting a particularly good job anywhere.

To be honest some of the football last year was dire, and fans were drifting away. Add the comments from several players about dressing room and coaching pitch unhappiness and you can see DK had to act. All very unfortunate. Anyway, the future looks bright with Micky Adams as manager again. I really do believe he is a good manager and leader, and will lead us to promotion and Falmer.

If you want a successful club and team stop bickering about Wilkins and enjoy what is happening now (if you can). As for DK - well I would rather have him as chairman, even with his mistakes, than some of the rubbish spouters on here.

ps Uncle Spielberg - I agree with you DW was a lightweight player - I think you are often right, but it just seems to annoy some people.

Last edited:

I think it is totally incorrect to say that Dick Knight is not fit to be chairman. He has done a great job in keeping us alive and (seemingly) getting us to Falmer. He has also appointed some great managers who were probably above the status we deserved (no ground, no money).

However, he is human and makes mistakes. I think he was surprised how McGhee's managerial regime fell apart, and made a mistake in appointing Dean Wilkins. A mistake because Wilkins was not suited to management, so we ended up losing a good youth team coach (vital for a poor club), and Wilkins ends up with no job, which is why a lot of people feel aggrieved for him. Sadly for him, I cannot see him getting a particularly good job anywhere.

To be honest some of the football last year was dire, and fans were drifting away. Add the comments from several players about dressing room and coaching pitch unhappiness and you can see DK had to act. All very unfortunate. Anyway, the future looks bright with Micky Adams as manager again. I really do believe he is a good manager and leader, and will lead us to promotion and Falmer.

If you want a successful club and team stop bickering about Wilkins and enjoy what is happening now (if you can). As for DK - well I would rather have him as chairman, even with his mistakes, than some of the rubbish spouters on here.

ps Uncle Spielberg - I think you are often right, but it just seems to annoy some people.

Blimey-that's WAY too well thought to be acceptable to the few with an anti-Dick Knight agenda who appear with boring regularity on any thread with 'Wilkins' in its title.

I agree totally about Micky Adams being back as manager. Saturday will be my first game of the season but listening to the last 2 games on the radio there seems to be a different feel to the club. By all accounts fitness levels are better and the team appears to be sharper from the kick off. Unless I'm mistaken the obvious favoritism is no longer there either. Post match interviews are much improved too - I doubt we'll ever hear Adams respond with "He's only doing the job he's paid to do" when a compliment gets paid about a player who has just had a good game. Unfortunately it looks as though Wilkins was simply not suited to management and that was something we'd only find out once he was in the job. Everybody wanted him to do well and in some areas he did quite well-unfortunately, being the manager means you have to do well in ALL aspects of the job and he was clearly lacking in key areas. If he wasn't, he'd still be in charge.

The fact that Wilkins is no longer at the club is more of a reflection of his fragile ego rather than DK's. Hinshlewood accepted that he wasn't suited to management and went back to what he was good at, maybe Wilkins should have looked to him for guidance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here