Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Future Of Dean Wilkins?

Crezhell

Aug 11, 2008
Last season in an incredibly piss poor League 1 we Won 19 out of 46 games, Lost 15 which is a winning percentage of 41% (Swansea and Leeds won nearly 59% in contrast). We got dumped out of the cup by the club sitting on the bottom of League 2. Add to that the shocking performance against Port Vale and it's difficult to score him higher than average.

He may have lost Hammond (who, as it turns out, wasn't that great a loss to our season) but was given £300,000 Glenn Murray to compensate.

I'd say that average to poor is quite fair.

Having said all of the above-it is time to leave all that behind and concentrate on the upcoming season.

ok, ill give you some percentages, because you clearly love them. 75% of teams in our league last year finished below us. Only 3 of your so called piss poor teams in this league have gone up, so the standard will be much the same this year.
Id say he did a pretty good job, and isnt given nearly enough credit by our so called 'fans' like you.

so you were unhappy with 7th were you?

what do you think adams will achieve this year in comparison?

and no bollocks about the league being harder or easier

So the fact that this division IS significantly stronger means nothing?

Leeds, Leicester, Colchester, Peterborough, MK Dons could all have pissed this division last season (Leeds did in fact) and at least 2 of them will do so this season. Carlisle and Southend will be no mugs either-they were 9 and 11 points ahead of us. However, I think Adams will improve our record by a fair bit. That may not be enough to move beyond 7th but our record should be much better than last season.

I feel a lot more confident with Adams in charge because my personal feelings are that Wilkins was not, and is not, a good manager.

barney

Jul 31, 2006

Leeds, Leicester, Colchester, Peterborough, MK Dons could all have pissed this division last season (Leeds did in fact) and at least 2 of them will do so this season. Carlisle and Southend will be no mugs either-they were 9 and 11 points ahead of us. However, I think Adams will improve our record by a fair bit. That may not be enough to move beyond 7th but our record should be much better than last season.

I feel a lot more confident with Adams in charge because my personal feelings are that Wilkins was not, and is not, a good manager.

leeds carlisle and southend were here last year so makes no difference. leicester will be good, yes. colchester will be nothing special. mk dons and peterborough did well last year, but not that impressively, and the standard in league 2 is somewhat poorer.

but, swansea who are a far better side than scunthorpe and colchester, and forest, who are a better side than mk dons and peterborough have left the league.. and doncaster have also gone.

i don't understand the logic of saying this is a harder league this year..

if we get less points this year than we did last season, adams has failed in my eyes.

edit: this colchester you speak so highly of, is the same side that got hammered by lowly hartlepool, on saturday or am i mistaken?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
you must be some kind of moron?
Im pretty sure that if he can get us to 7th in the league, without spending much money at all, taking into account his captain was sold half way through the season...that he'd have no troubles getting a job in the top 4 leagues. To suggest otherwise is rediculous.
Stating that he is an average to poor manager clearly shows you know nothing.

oh just get stuffed you moron and Uncle f*** can get lost as well the odious misery guts, it my opinion if you don't like it GOOD.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wilkins was an average manager at best

31 league wins 33 league losses, he had a reasonable amount of money to spend last year compared to another manager who ALL achieved far mroe than Wilkins with the same constraints, those are the FACTS and just because Uncle f*** and other deluded people want to lick up to Wilkins for some bizarre reason does not make him a great manager

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008

I have asked you before please can you take my user name off of the bottom of all your posts

Thank you

ok, ill give you some percentages, because you clearly love them. 75% of teams in our league last year finished below us. Only 3 of your so called piss poor teams in this league have gone up, so the standard will be much the same this year.
Id say he did a pretty good job, and isnt given nearly enough credit by our so called 'fans' like you.

So, I'm a 'so called fan' because I don't share your same love of Wilkins? Oy Vay!

We were 9 points away from the final playoff spot. This year there will be Leeds, Leicester, Carlisle, Colchester, Southend, Peterborough and MK Dons to contend with at the very minimum. Clubs like Northampton have spent money to strengthen their squad-and there are others. If you think the standards will be similar this year then you need to have another look at this division. Next season the prize money in the Championship is getting much bigger so it is vital for all clubs to be in it-which is why we have a tough challenge ahead.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
Wilkins was an average manager at best

31 league wins 33 league losses, he had a reasonable amount of money to spend last year compared to another manager who ALL achieved far mroe than Wilkins with the same constraints, those are the FACTS and just because Uncle f*** and other deluded people want to lick up to Wilkins for some bizarre reason does not make him a great manager

no one is saying he is the new sir alex ferguson. i think most people just think he did a good job and deserves some respect from little men like you who constantly berate him even though he does not have any ties to the club anymore.

just accept he did a good job and get back to your embarrassingly poor tipping service you low life.

Crezhell

Aug 11, 2008
oh just get stuffed you moron and Uncle f*** can get lost as well the odious misery guts, it my opinion if you don't like it GOOD.

you just lost it, calm down. at least uncle buck has a decent opinion and im just stating facts...finishing 7th last season was a good achievement taking everything into account.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
no I am sick and tired of being abused just because my opinion is different to someone elses, you called me a moron as I had a different opinion to you, and Uncle well he just likes to piss me off for about 5 years now, like an annoying fly around your head

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I was proved to be right, I would have been delighted if he got us promoted but that was ever as likely as Uncle Buck saying on NSC " do you know what ?, US is right ".

barney

Jul 31, 2006
no I am sick and tired of being abused just because my opinion is different to someone elses, you called me a moron as I had a different opinion to you, and Uncle well he just likes to piss me off for about 5 years now, like an annoying fly around your head

you sound like a stroppy child..

well, sorry, but there is no way dean wilkins did a bad job. so like it or not, saying he did, makes you a moron

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

well, sorry, but there is no way dean wilkins did a bad job. so like it or not, saying he did, makes you a moron

He may not have done a bad job, but it was no better than average. 7th in this league is nothing that should be at the top your CV if you want to find a half decent club to manage. Even in this league you'll get managers who have at least got in the play-offs from the third tier.

Given the general assisination by the released players (I don't remember any of our previous managers being abused to that extent, not even McGhee he was terrible at man management) and even to a lesser extent by Murray (which was mentioned by Adams) he will really struggle to get a managers job in the top three tiers IMO.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Well get stuffed then

D

Deleted member 2719

He is an excellent coach and was becoming a good manager with plenty of potential it's just a shame that he personality seemed to strong for knight to handle.

I hope he doesn't settle for second best and coach just because a business man has told him that is what he should do.

Follow you dream Deano.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
He may not have done a bad job, but it was no better than average. 7th in this league is nothing that should be in your CV if you want to find a half decent club to manage. Even in this league you'll get managers who have at least got in the play-offs from the third tier.

Given the general assisination by the released players (I don't remember any of our previous managers being abused to that extent, not even McGhee he was terrible at man management) and even to a lesser extent by Murray (which was mentioned by Adams) he will really struggle to get a managers job in the top three tiers IMO.

i disagree with your first paragraph but can not be bothered to go back into that..

i agree with you on the latter part, however, but i also think he won't go back into management.

as a coach, youth team or otherwise, he could walk into most clubs

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He may not have done a bad job, but it was no better than average. 7th in this league is nothing that should be at the top your CV if you want to find a half decent club to manage. Even in this league you'll get managers who have at least got in the play-offs from the third tier.

You have accepted grudgingly that he didnt do a bad job, so there is some recognition that he may of even done a 'good' job eh .....

The released players views and the perception of at least the last couple of managers man-management style is a fairly new trait that to some extent the club are comfortable with and can even encourage whilst Naylors happy to 'play fleet street'. The actual actions of managers and the feelings of any released players remain the same than a decade or two ago, the desire for gossip and headlines within the football world has just got a little crazier, thats all.

I accept that there are more applicants than actual managers jobs at any decent level because the financial rewards remain particularly high, but my point has always been that it was a bad decision to release him when they did, he made some very good progress.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
i agree with you on the latter part, however, but i also think he won't go back into management.

as a coach, youth team or otherwise, he could walk into most clubs

I agree, I dont think after this he will go back into management. I think he is suited to Youth team coaching and will do a good job for a preimer league club I would have though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here