Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whilst we're on the subject of performance art did anyone see Jeremy Deller's 'Procession' project in Manchester? This was pure class. Check it out. The man is genius. I'd love him to do a similar thing in Brighton.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
So, is this thing going to get any mor einteresting. Are people going to get a bit imaginative at some point. Have kep an eye on it this morning, and so far we've had :

A "Large" girl who seemed to pretent to be getting ready for bed, A guy dressed as a dolphin, complaining about people eating Blue Fin Tuna and now there's some girl up there who just seems to be sitting on the side, making a few mobile calls. Not riveting I must say.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This girl, while passably fit, seems to have no plan other than take a few pictures and chat on her mobile.

Or maybe that's some kind of profound comment on the difficulties of being a teenager in today's credit crunched world.

Oh no, she's just scribbled 'Ben Griffiths is gay' on a piece of paper and held it up.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This girl, while passably fit, seems to have no plan other than take a few pictures and chat on her mobile.

Or maybe that's some kind of profound comment on the difficulties of being a teenager in today's credit crunched world.

Oh no, she's just scribbled 'Ben Griffiths is gay' on a piece of paper and held it up.

That could be quite profound too - at least to Ben.

You would have thought they might have a screen somewhere that they could see - most of the things the hold up you can't read cos they're facing the wrong way at the time !

Lush

Mods' Pet
Which I guess is Gromleys point.

Yep.

pic-gormley-field-close.jpg

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
How did the plinth come to be empty, or has it always been empty.
If so could they not have put up a statue of Margaret Thatcher ?

sits back in chairs with pringles and waits

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
How did the plinth come to be empty, or has it always been empty.

It has always been empty. It was supposed to have an equestrian statue of William IV, but the builders ran out of money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, is this thing going to get any mor einteresting. Are people going to get a bit imaginative at some point. Have kep an eye on it this morning, and so far we've had :

A "Large" girl who seemed to pretent to be getting ready for bed, A guy dressed as a dolphin, complaining about people eating Blue Fin Tuna and now there's some girl up there who just seems to be sitting on the side, making a few mobile calls. Not riveting I must say.

..for something so lacking in interest....it has certainly captivated you lot.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I've had it on on my computer at work all day and have stunned at how f***ing shit everyone has been.

Which is a shame cos I think it's a really good idea.

It made me laugh to see one of the hippies ripping up bits of tissue and throwing them to the wind.....and down below you could see a street cleaner going about his business.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I've had it on on my computer at work all day and have stunned at how f***ing shit everyone has been.

Which is a shame cos I think it's a really good idea.

It made me laugh to see one of the hippies ripping up bits of tissue and throwing them to the wind.....and down below you could see a street cleaner going about his business.

But isn't that the point? Most people ARE a bit dull and spend all day on their mobile phones telling their mates about the dull things they aren't really doing.

We've turned into a lazy nation that waits to be entertained (by TV computers, Xboxes etc), rather than making our own entertainment. Give us a blank canvas (or an empty plinth) and we have no idea what to do with it.

I think the whole thing is fascinating - and thought-provoking, which for me is the whole point of 'art'.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would it be dragging up the past unneccessarily to go up on the plinth with a massive banner reading:

David Bellotti: Brighton & Hove Albion still hates you

or similar?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here