Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But isn't that the point? Most people ARE a bit dull and spend all day on their mobile phones telling their mates about the dull things they aren't really doing.

We've turned into a lazy nation that waits to be entertained (by TV computers, Xboxes etc), rather than making our own entertainment. Give us a blank canvas (or an empty plinth) and we have no idea what to do with it.

I think the whole thing is fascinating - and thought-provoking, which for me is the whole point of 'art'.

Exactly. There is an element of QED about this very thread.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
How long before the first particularly controversial one appears and gets the Daily Mail all in a tizzy?

Like, someone naked, or two same-sex participants kissing (won't SOMEBODY, PLEASE, think of the children) or someone parading a bloody, skinned animal corpse in some kind of vegetarian campaign protest?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
But isn't that the point? Most people ARE a bit dull and spend all day on their mobile phones telling their mates about the dull things they aren't really doing.

We've turned into a lazy nation that waits to be entertained (by TV computers, Xboxes etc), rather than making our own entertainment. Give us a blank canvas (or an empty plinth) and we have no idea what to do with it.

I think the whole thing is fascinating - and thought-provoking, which for me is the whole point of 'art'.

I think it's fascinating too. But I disagree that we have 'turned into' a lazy nation. Are you telling me that a couple of generations ago people were more creative?

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
How long before the first particularly controversial one appears and gets the Daily Mail all in a tizzy?

Like, someone naked, or two same-sex participants kissing (won't SOMEBODY, PLEASE, think of the children) or someone parading a bloody, skinned animal corpse in some kind of vegetarian campaign protest?

surely SOMEONE is going to take a dump up there?

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think it's fascinating too. But I disagree that we have 'turned into' a lazy nation. Are you telling me that a couple of generations ago people were more creative?

What did you do as a kid in the summer holidays? In the days before kids could just sit in front of 24 hour Nickelodeon/Play Station? I bet you used your IMAGINATION/played pretend games/made stuff/drew stuff/wrote stuff.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Or something really controversial like an old hero of the Empire who killed loads of natives somewhere.

Would it be dragging up the past unneccessarily to go up on the plinth with a massive banner reading:

David Bellotti: Brighton & Hove Albion still hates you

or similar?

:) :)

Last edited:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
What did you do as a kid in the summer holidays? In the days before kids could just sit in front of 24 hour Nickelodeon/Play Station? I bet you used your IMAGINATION/played pretend games/made stuff/drew stuff/wrote stuff.

er yeah I did but kids these days still do that, they've just got computer games and other stuff too.

And when they grow up many of them will complain about the next generation of kids, and then they'll grow up and do the same, and so on and so on and so on. As sure as Archer and Bellotti are complete cock knockers.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Is the woman up at the moment making a person out of donuts?

http://www.oneandother.co.uk/

will be constructing a sculpture as an acknowledgment of Antony Gormley's role in conceiving the project. Its form is loosely based on Antony's 'Event Horizon', which saw casts of the artist situated around London in Summer 2007.

Rather than cast iron my sculpture is made from bread. I chose bread because I like baking, it is light, cheap, and it has a limited lifespan - like my hour on the plinth. As an Archers listener, I am also pleased to be able to action Jill Archer's plan to 'bake bread' on the plinth.

In opposition to the other statues in Trafalgar Square mine will face the National Gallery. So Antony looks away from Westminster and towards the art world.

The most important part of the work will take place afterwards, when I will carry the sculpture to St James park where it will be eaten with some tasty fillings - and become Antony Gourmet!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
David Bellamy ?

I was thinking that. But missing a few vital charateristics. He did looked like a cross between Bellamy and an older Bryn Terfel. The next chap is taking photos of people....taking photos. Very original. But we ARE discussing it, so I guess it qualifies as conceptual art.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here