Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The establishment and historic child sex abuse

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-infiltrated-council-run-children-s-home.html

"He named former former-Education Secretary Keith Joseph, ex-local government minister Rhodes Boyson, and Michael Havers, the former attorney general who is the brother of Baroness Butler-Sloss."

That's the first time I've heard that someone has named her brother. I think that has to be too much for her to withstand surely? It's not her fault, but it's inconceivable that she could carry on now.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Brilliant but why is Downing Street choosing the chair given that it's Downing Street that's being investigated in part?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Brilliant but why is Downing Street choosing the chair given that it's Downing Street that's being investigated in part?

Who else could choose someone to lead an inquiry though?

That article suggests that they would choose someone not so closely linked to the "establishment", so that is something but begs the questions "who are the establishment?" and "if someone is appointed by the establishment, does that not automatically make them part of the establishment!".

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Who else could choose someone to lead an inquiry though?

That article suggests that they would choose someone not so closely linked to the "establishment", so that is something but begs the questions "who are the establishment?" and "if someone is appointed by the establishment, does that not automatically make them part of the establishment!".

I agree, it's a difficult decision.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Good news. It was a ridiculous choice in the first place. Just goes to show what utter clowns we have running our country.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Excellent news on Butler-Schlos and further evidence if the press and public keep up the pressure things can happen.

Shami Chakrabarti would be a decent choice IMHO.

I know he is an MP, but why not give the Chair to Tom Watson. I would be more than happy with that.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Excellent news on Butler-Schlos and further evidence if the press and public keep up the pressure things can happen.

Shami Chakrabarti would be a decent choice IMHO.

I know he is an MP, but why not give the Chair to Tom Watson. I would be more than happy with that.

Good shouts although I'd avoid a parliamentarian.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Should be some form of European Inquiry. Though can that be trusted to be free of people who would rather see this covered up.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

I am almost certain, given the nature of the enquiry that it will be a woman. Watson, Danczuk, Lucas et al (henceforth refered to as "the good guys") will have a massive role to play keeping pressure and visibility up, as this enquiry will be long and drawn out.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd have the likes of Martin Amis on the inquiry. Pity Christopher Hitchens is not still with us he would have torn a hole through this lot.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Should be some form of European Inquiry. Though can that be trusted to be free of people who would rather see this covered up.

I strongly suspect (and there is evidence to suggest) that this mess doesn't stop at our borders. Plenty of similarish cases exposed across the world in recent years. Belgium and Canada to name name two.

I actually think our best chance is to deal with it "in house."

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
To me Danczuk has an interest, in that he is trying to collapse LD support in his own constituency before the next election, even though Cyril Smith did naughty things whilst a Labour councillor, it seems.

Mmm...wonder what happened to Ivor Caplin? Seeme to remember a hatchet job being done on the LD's in Brighton in 1997..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here