Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The England line up to win the World Cup (?)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
what planet have u been on?

I agree with Kinky to an extent. Terry lacks a yard of pace to be a really good international defender. That was obvious in the Portugal game when he let Postiga go for the equaliser and in the Champions League Semi Finals of 2004 when the Monaco forwards (Morientes and ?) gave him the run about.

His concentration got better last season, but if Ferdinand, Campbell and Woodgate are fit, all of them should be in front of Terry.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The England line up to win the World Cup

Well the Engand are gonna have a fecking long wait in that line up :jester:

Last edited:

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
I agree with Kinky to an extent. Terry lacks a yard of pace to be a really good international defender. That was obvious in the Portugal game when he let Postiga go for the equaliser and in the Champions League Semi Finals of 2004 when the Monaco forwards (Morientes and ?) gave him the run about.

His concentration got better last season, but if Ferdinand, Campbell and Woodgate are fit, all of them should be in front of Terry.

Terry is 10 times the player Sol Campbell has ever been, Terry is quicker now than Sol, plus were missing the most important thing John Terry can play football, Campbell is terrible with the ball at his feet and his distrubution could prove a big downfall IMO.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
Terry is 10 times the player Sol Campbell has ever been, Terry is quicker now than Sol, plus were missing the most important thing John Terry can play football, Campbell is terrible with the ball at his feet and his distrubution could prove a big downfall IMO.

So Campbell has got 70 odd England Caps, Terry 20, when Rio came back from suspension it was Terry who was ousted and not Campbell. Hmmmm, kind of says something, like Campbell is the better player.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
So Campbell has got 70 odd England Caps, Terry 20, when Rio came back from suspension it was Terry who was ousted and not Campbell. Hmmmm, kind of says something, like Campbell is the better player.

Terry will end up with more caps than Campbell because he is a better player, i believe svens 1st choice centre-half pairing willl be Terry and Rio we will soon find out.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
In fairness when fit he has always picked Campbell, Rio and then Woodgate, it is just there is always something up with at least 2 of them.

i agree it used to be like that but the sudden emergence of Terry onto the seen and the injuries and lack of form from Campbell has meant hes been pushed down the pecking order, be nice to have a centre-half pairing that can distribute very well. dnt get me wrong Campbell is a fine back up player but IMO i wouldn't start him.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
i agree it used to be like that but the sudden emergence of Terry onto the seen and the injuries and lack of form from Campbell has meant hes been pushed down the pecking order, be nice to have a centre-half pairing that can distribute very well. dnt get me wrong Campbell is a fine back up player but IMO i wouldn't start him.

There are still question marks about Terry's pace. He has a habit of getting turned and world class strikers leaving him for dead.

Not sure you need 2 centre backs that could make 80 yard passes, sometimes helps to have a stopper in there.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
There are still question marks about Terry's pace. He has a habit of getting turned and world class strikers leaving him for dead.

Not sure you need 2 centre backs that could make 80 yard passes, sometimes helps to have a stopper in there.

fair point, but i think for consistency, Terry is a better player, i feel Campbell is past his best and Terry still has his best to come. he will only get better under Mourinho's guidance.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
RonnieO'Sullivan said:

Are you talking about the same John terry that let POSTIGA who couldnt score in a whore house, well score and put in many a substandard game in the champions league

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
Terry is 10 times the player Sol Campbell has ever been,

Yet Sol Campbell has rarely, if ever, been exposed at international level to the extent John Terry was at Euro 2004?

Perhaps if we'd stuck with a winning side, and kept King in after his superb display against the Frogs, we'd have gone a little further in the tournament.

I doubt anyone is disputing Terry's brilliance at Premiership level, but he's yet to show that he's truly capable of stepping up to international level. I'd have both Campbell and King ahead of him to partner Ferdinand.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
i seem to remember ruud van nistlerooy leaving campbell for dead from the half way line to score for man utd at highbury, made me realise campbell didnt have the pace ppl think, ruud isnt exactly the as quick as the likes off torres, robinho, ronaldo, schevchenko. Campbell has had his day, injuries will have slowed him down even more aswell, i remember a short while ago he wasnt being picked when fit for arsenal.which shocked me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
i seem to remember ruud van nistlerooy leaving campbell for dead from the half way line to score for man utd at highbury, made me realise campbell didnt have the pace ppl think, ruud isnt exactly the as quick as the likes off torres, robinho, ronaldo, schevchenko. Campbell has had his day, injuries will have slowed him down even more aswell, i remember a short while ago he wasnt being picked when fit for arsenal.which shocked me.

Thats why you play him with rio or ledders - Guy isnt the quickest in the world but you play him longside a quick player and it works well.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
KinkyGoebels said:
Thats why you play him with rio or ledders - Guy isnt the quickest in the world but you play him longside a quick player and it works well.

i agree to an extent.

but unclebuck was using one of the main reasons about Terry not playing due to his lack of pace, i say Terry and Rio for years to come, would work into such a great partnership.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
RonnieO'Sullivan said:
i agree to an extent.

but unclebuck was using one of the main reasons about Terry not playing due to his lack of pace, i say Terry and Rio for years to come, would work into such a great partnership.

I think my other issue is Terry seems to have concentration lapses. The Postiga goal he just seemed to let his man go. That part of his game improved last season, but it is not something that Campbell generally lets happen.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
Uncle Buck said:
I think my other issue is Terry seems to have concentration lapses. The Postiga goal he just seemed to let his man go. That part of his game improved last season, but it is not something that Campbell generally lets happen.

its just down to personal perference in the end i spose, i just feel Campbell is to clumbsy to take a chance with.

RonnieO'Sullivan

Feb 21, 2005
KinkyGoebels said:
It wasnt the fact he just let him go he let him wonder about 5m away from him - thats is woefull

everyone makes mistakes Terry was voted player of the year if i stand correct last year, an accolaade i never seem to recall Campbell winning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here