Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Dominant Norwich Team of last season

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just to put what we have achieved into perspective, the Norwich side which every holds up as the epitome of a team that dominated a league, after 33 games last season they had the following stats:

P33 W21 D6 L6 GD+33

Albion are:
P33 W20 D8 L5 GD+36

Incredibly similar figures. I know their form went on being superb, but at this stage, we're neck and neck with a really dominant team. The rest behind us may be cocking this up, but we're not being handed this on a plate- we're taking it.

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
good stats.

I think another 6 wins and two draws will be enough to clinch it, but Gus is probably looking at 100 points lol

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
That's because we're a really dominant team as well!

In all the excitement about where we are its easy to lose sight of how close the race for second now is after Bmuff lost. Just three points between 2nd and 6th and far from cocking it up, they're all in good form and have pulled away from the pack - despite the O's best efforts.

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010
Quite interesting stats there. I know this isn't the point you are making but I do not feel that we will replicate the achievements of Norwich this season without a fairly large influx of players (if we make the Championship of course). Fingers crossed.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Just had another look at the fixtures and it really isn't beyond the realms of possibility for us to win every game this month and effectively put promotion to bed

HOME
Tranmere
Notts County
Swindon

AWAY
Oldham
Dagenham

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
That's because we're a really dominant team as well!

In all the excitement about where we are its easy to lose sight of how close the race for second now is after Bmuff lost. Just three points between 2nd and 6th and far from cocking it up, they're all in good form and have pulled away from the pack - despite the O's best efforts.

Don't think it's down to the O's best efforts so much as 4 games less played from 6th place MKFranchise due to their cup exploits. Definitely do not count Orient out.

Stumpy Tim

I know we shouldn't say this, but it's now a race for second. With the games we have left we're not going screw this up. The way the Albion have done it should make every Albion supporter proud. We've been playing good attractive football, and we attack. What Poyet has done is nothing short of a miracle in my opinion. He's right up there with Harry "Miracle Man" Redknapp, with the difference being Brighton won't be going into administration any time soon

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
According to Arry Redknapp: "Triffic having Bale back in the team. Best monkey return I've had since I put £500 on Blackpool to beat us 3-1."

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Agree with all of that. There was a time when people were saying "the others don't want to go top" and "they're handing it to us on a plate", but none of that took the games in hand into account really. We have pulled away from some teams in pretty decent form and are showing just how good we are. We are storming this league and entirely on merit. I could not be happier.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Don't think it's down to the O's best efforts so much as 4 games less played from 6th place MKFranchise due to their cup exploits. Definitely do not count Orient out.

I'm certainly not counting them out - the gap is, as you say, a function of their games in hand and the fact that they started this amazing run from such a low position with much ground to make up. I hope they make it, and ideally beat SCC in the playoff final!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know we shouldn't say this, but it's now a race for second. With the games we have left we're not going screw this up. The way the Albion have done it should make every Albion supporter proud. We've been playing good attractive football, and we attack. What Poyet has done is nothing short of a miracle in my opinion. He's right up there with Harry "Miracle Man" Redknapp, with the difference being Brighton won't be going into administration any time soon

What are you on about? 'arry isn't fit to lick Gus's boots, at least compare our boss to a manager with some talent and style, like Guardiola.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funny to think Bournemouth were going to go above us a month ago, and then their game at Bristol was called off. They're now seven points behind.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Starting to narrow towards the final contenders with realistically the second automatic place between SCC, Huddersfield, Peterboro and Bournemouth while one of either Orient or MKD will miss out on the play-offs. No-one else is really in the race now. However, Hudds have almost certainly lost Pilkington for the rest of the season - as crucial to them as Lallana is to scc and going to be missed just as much at a key time. Could well be the difference between them challenging for 2nd and falling away to compete in the play-offs. Saturday's south coast derby is going to be very telling indeed.

Although we play two of those before season's end our final contribution is likely to be playing a key role in deciding who goes down with 2 games against Dagenham plus Walsall, Notts Co, Swindon and Tranmere from the bottom 8 all having to play us with a gap now appearing between them and midtable.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Got to say it's looking really good but we are reaching that stage of the season where surprise results start happening when teams down at the bottom start fighting for grim death. I'm not saying we'll go down to the likes of D&R, as I think Gus has the boys well drilled and too professional to slip up too badly but we shouldn't be taking these games for granted.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
yep you're doing great but was a much tougher league last season with us, leeds, millwall, and swindon before they got rid

if you can replicate us next season you'll be in dreamland

i know i am!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
yep you're doing great but was a much tougher league last season with us, leeds, millwall, and swindon before they got rid

if you can replicate us next season you'll be in dreamland

i know i am!

You've just had a great result............................... what on earth are you doing on here?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
i was called over

would it have been better if we'd had a poor result or should i just not use the internet 2 hours after we've played?

tbh i'm not celebrating promotion just yet as you lot should be

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just to update this. Comparing the Norwich team who most people put forward as a team that dominated this league last year with The albion;

Brighton P34 W21 D8 L5 GD +38 Pt 71
Norwich P34 W22 D6 L6 GD +34 Pt 72

We are topping this league on merit and matching the form of one of the best teams to win League One in recent seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here