Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The definitive Falmer Matchday Poll - Part I : TRAVEL

How do you intend travelling to and from Falmer?

• Total voters

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It is the big games that train travel will be impossible for. The results so far only go to show how f***ed-off a great number of people are going to be.

Will it really be that bad? I always assumed that loads will drive, get the bus some maybe even walk.

What would be the highest number of people wanting to use the train? How many trains opperate per hour and how many people fit on a train? Don't suppose you know by any chance?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What would be the highest number of people wanting to use the train? How many trains opperate per hour and how many people fit on a train? Don't suppose you know by any chance?

One thing's for sure, there's going to be an almighty scramble for trains after evening games when its pissing it down. Could get messy.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The mighty Falmer station... oh dear :facepalm:
With the numbers planning to travel by train it looks very Trumpton.

(Picture (c) Jack Straw)

Attachments

• P1000394.JPG
    P1000394.JPG
    993.5 KB · Views: 160

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Will it really be that bad? I always assumed that loads will drive, get the bus some maybe even walk.

Well, as I understand it, a four carriage train holds approximately 500 people and there can be a maximum of 4 trains per hour. The trains are already quite busy, so there may only be space for, say, 250 people on each. So that's a thousand people an hour. Making the assumption that this poll is representative, 65% of people are likely to want to get the train when the weather's bad. This figure will be higher for away supporters so we're probably talking 16,000 people wanting to get the train after a match with a capacity crowd. So it'd take 16 hours to get everyone away.

One of my colleagues was involved in the transport planning area for ESCC and he said that the trains are effectively negligible / non existent in terms of matchday transport.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Well, as I understand it, a four carriage train holds approximately 500 people and there can be a maximum of 4 trains per hour. The trains are already quite busy, so there may only be space for, say, 250 people on each. So that's a thousand people an hour. Making the assumption that this poll is representative, 65% of people are likely to want to get the train when the weather's bad. This figure will be higher for away supporters so we're probably talking 16,000 people wanting to get the train after a match with a capacity crowd. So it'd take 16 hours to get everyone away.

One of my colleagues was involved in the transport planning area for ESCC and he said that the trains are effectively negligible / non existent in terms of matchday transport.

Does that factor in people wanting to get the train towards Lewes rather than towards Brighton after games?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Does that factor in people wanting to get the train towards Lewes rather than towards Brighton after games?

No, that's a fair point, I guess the poll shouldve had two options to cover this. It's still quite clearly going to be a nightmare though.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
One thing's for sure, there's going to be an almighty scramble for trains after evening games when its pissing it down. Could get messy.

Isn't there going to be a massive new concourse and a large covered walkway at the station?

I'm sure it will be ok, although i'm a little concerned that the first full capacity ramp up event might be a travel nightmare and the inevatble moaning that would follow might lead to the capacity being reduced, ala Darlington.

D

Deleted User X18H

There will be many and frequent shuttle trains to and from Brighton . Also the possibility of a flat fare (£1) bus service offering a express away route from the stadium.

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Jeez it isn't even built and already you lot are moaning 'ooh how will I get home''

For gawd sake if you are lucky enough to be going to watch the Albion at Falmer does it matter what time you get home? You can always record X Factor

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

A little worrying if acurate. I guess the 500 capacity is based on the official capacity though, in reality would there not be scope for exceeding this figure by double or even treble?

As long as people don't just expect to stroll from their seat in the stadium straight onto a waiting train and are patient, i'm sure it will be ok. Saying that a 16 hour wait for a train could make the most patient person a little restless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, as I understand it, a four carriage train holds approximately 500 people and there can be a maximum of 4 trains per hour.

500? you ever been on a commuter train? and why limited to 4? Falmer is enough for 8 isnt it? i know theres an issue at Lewes with a short platform, but we manage short platforms everyday on commuter routes, im sure we can all shuffle.

or put another way i dont believe they would have granted planning if it was such a problem. how do people get to any other stadium up and down the country that has little nearby car parking? oh, they walk?

though in dont fancy the midweek on a rainy day scenario.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
probably walk sometimes - but usually park and ride, or maybe train - I don't know ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
HB&B for the umpteenth time, noone is moaning, I'm just stating that most people will have to get the bus, walk or park nearby, but they seem to be oblivious of this.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
HB&B for the umpteenth time, noone is moaning, I'm just stating that most people will have to get the bus, walk or park nearby, but they seem to be oblivious of this.

Or cycle. There are cycle lanes all the way up the Lewes Road, and getting back after is a piece of piss as it's all downhill. And it's a good way to work off the half-time pie.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

The line is not limited to four trains an hour. Check out the timetable for next Saturday between Lewes and Brighton for instance. There are trains at 16:58, 17:07, 17:14, 17:28 and 17:44 so the limit is at worst 5 an hour, though admittedly one of these trains does not stop at Falmer.

Plus you seem to have assumed we have no supporters East of Brighton. I'm sure most people will be heading to Brighton, but a significant number will be going in the opposite direction.

In addition the Project Office response to a question on the "Ask the Falmer Project Team" on Dec 1st indicated that there will be additional trains on matchdays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here