Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Coventry Smoke Bomb

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why are they more Dangerous? You allow your daughter/ Son to hold sprinklers, More children have been injured using sprinklers ( fire work night) than any other firework, why aren't they banned?

???

sprinkler-2.gif

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Why are they more Dangerous? You allow your daughter/ Son to hold sprinklers, More children have been injured using sprinklers ( fire work night) than any other firework, why aren't they banned?

I think that the reason more children have been injured by sprinklers as opposed to other fireworks is because they are aren't allowed access to the dangerous fireworks in the first place, so wouldn't have much chance to cause themselves any harm with them.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think that the reason more children have been injured by sprinklers as opposed to other fireworks is because they are aren't allowed access to the dangerous fireworks in the first place, so wouldn't have much chance to cause themselves any harm with them.

There's more Albion players than children been injured by sprinklers. They keep slipping over.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's more Albion players than children been injured by sprinklers. They keep slipping over.

Might catch a nasty cold if they get wet too.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
They only become unsafe when someone like a steward tries to intervene and confiscate the flare while it is still alight. Give it a couple of minutes and it will go out on its own accord.

Couldn't agree more. Don't understand some stewards who have to make an issue by saying ' quick stamp it out' when it'll do less harm taking such actions, let it burn itself out as it'll cause no harm.

Just glad football stewards aren't in charge at firework nights as there'd be nothing to watch.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
And excessive use of sprinklers will put all the SPARKLERS out. *Sheesh*

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
What do the police get paid for?

Joking aside, regarding the smoke bomb incident, several stewards getting assaulted constitutes fairly serious disorder in this day and age.

It was interesting to watch the police contingent in the ground standing there with their arms folded, presumably on overtime, totally ignoring the situation.

Do stewards on £6 something an hour really have to risk their health when there are trusted, well protected guardians of the law close to hand.

Will be interesting to see what the club says regarding putting their employees at risk.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Was good entertaining watching i thought. Stewards looked useless and seemed to give up eventually. Fan power won. Helped notch the atmosphere up as well.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Can't we all take flares and when we want to light one we can ask the Steward to come over and light it for us?

Sorted Simples!

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
I love hand-held flares and smoke bombs. Used properly, they are perfectly safe. They add to the atmosphere at European football matches and I'd be perfectly happy to see them used at English games.

I do, however, understand that they are not permitted at English matches - so, obviously, the stewards needed to take action. But I just wish the rules could be different.

Just saying, like.

Woking away last year was immense

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I don't think the Bradford fans would agree with you.............

Is this like liverpool fans not standing during a match? :facepalm:

Two facts, firstly it was a ciggerette butt that caused the fire, not a flare. Secondly the fire was caused by the litter acting as kindling and the fact theirs stadium was a million years old.

The amex wouldn't lead to a repeat of Bradford. Most modern stadiums wouldn't lead to the same outcome either.

FLOG GNAW

Banned
Sep 21, 2009
Under Your Skin.
Woking away last year was immense

I know the fella who did the Brighton flare at Woking away. People might moan and say that they have no place in English football BUT the lad who did it is a proper Brighton fan and flares improve the atmosphere. FACT

The Coventry fans we MUCH louder after the smoke bomb/flare, same for any other game where a flare has been let off.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Joking aside, regarding the smoke bomb incident, several stewards getting assaulted constitutes fairly serious disorder in this day and age.

It was interesting to watch the police contingent in the ground standing there with their arms folded, presumably on overtime, totally ignoring the situation.

Do stewards on £6 something an hour really have to risk their health when there are trusted, well protected guardians of the law close to hand.

Will be interesting to see what the club says regarding putting their employees at risk.

I thought that at the time. Highly paid police with all the self defense skills, gossiping relaxed in the corner, when stewards facing trouble. Why no action?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The match day stewards generally have primacy when it comes to issues in the ground. The police will only get involved if its really going tits up or if there's a request for assistance or for someone to be arrested. It's the whole point of having stewards. Most clubs are the same these days.

And the PCs won't be on overtime, it'll be covered by changing shifts or cancelling rest days.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What are the chances of the guy belting the steward being caught on cctv and feeling the long arm of the law in due course complete with lengthy ban?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
What are the chances of the guy belting the steward being caught on cctv and feeling the long arm of the law in due course complete with lengthy ban?

Hopefully slim, I enjoyed watching some of our stewards getting involved in some handbags, with any luck it's the ex H block jobsworths.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought it looked great. I found myself hoping they got away with it and sent the stewards packing.

And the flare at Woking away last year looked absolutely superb from my vantage point high in the stand behind the goal where the penalties were.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here