Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Coventry Smoke Bomb

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I love hand-held flares and smoke bombs. Used properly, they are perfectly safe. They add to the atmosphere at European football matches and I'd be perfectly happy to see them used at English games.

I do, however, understand that they are not permitted at English matches - so, obviously, the stewards needed to take action. But I just wish the rules could be different.

Just saying, like.
This.

Fighting over a flare is a lot more dangerous than letting it burn out (as it must inevitably do). Attempting to confiscate a device in mid-combustion carries the risk that it will be thrown. And that IS dangerous.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We used to do flares during the troubled times. Away games during the Gillingham years were, I recall, particularly good vintages for Albion flare lovers.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I don't get why they are banned. Is it because the FA thinks straight away that a flare = hooliganism?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Was more interesting watching the stewards try to get nearly all the coventry supporters to sit down 10 mins after they equalised...after 5 mins they sensibly gave up

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
the stewards seem to have little effective authority...other than chucking people out. They can't make an arrest, but can get a little punchy.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I thought it was the "flarest" thing the Coventry fans did all game! :jester:

I came out with that one at the time & got a cuppla groans. I can't say I blame folk either. :(

ps The flair/smokebomb-fing & the resulting skirmish was the definitely the most entertaining event of the otherwise crap Second Half. I'd imagine it made the Cov fans' day too tbh. Fair play to 'em. :clap2:

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Yep. Hundreds of them are ignited and carried around on the streets of Sussex during bonfire processions every autumn.

I don't get why they are banned. Is it because the FA thinks straight away that a flare = hooliganism?

the reason that they are carried in Lewes and other bonfire celebrations is that (because letting rookies off in the street is illegal) that the Police recording the parades on the digital camcorders to see people letting off rookies, and the flare completely screws the light sensors in the camera for a few minutes. Also this is the reason that there is a Hooligan stigma associated with Flares.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Fighting over a flare is a lot more dangerous than letting it burn out (as it must inevitably do). Attempting to confiscate a device in mid-combustion carries the risk that it will be thrown. And that IS dangerous.

One of the stewards should have pissed on it. :moo:

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I love hand-held flares and smoke bombs. Used properly, they are perfectly safe. They add to the atmosphere at European football matches and I'd be perfectly happy to see them used at English games.

I do, however, understand that they are not permitted at English matches - so, obviously, the stewards needed to take action. But I just wish the rules could be different.

Just saying, like.

I don't think the Bradford fans would agree with you.............

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Pretty weak I thought. Did prompt some kicking off though, as far as I could tell the stewards did well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here