Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The cost of the stadium appeal

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Lord B & Tim (et al)
Your (our) approch thus far seems to have been directed at the Council members who made the decision to take the JR action.
Have you considered lobbying the other councillors to try and raise a "vote of no confidence" which, I believe, forces an election.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
They are royally f***ed. If they really think that this whole business is only going to cost £65k and them personally £25k they are in for a huge shock :smokin:

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Shropshire Seagull said:
Lord B & Tim (et al)
Your (our) approch thus far seems to have been directed at the Council members who made the decision to take the JR action.
Have you considered lobbying the other councillors to try and raise a "vote of no confidence" which, I believe, forces an election.
That would be great, but would the other Lib Dem councillors do this, probably not.

Dandyman

In London village.
Lord Bracknell said:
The History Man and I both put questions to the Cabinet and, as expected, got little in the way of straight answers.

The Argus and BBC South East TV were there - there should be a report on tonight's South East Today and South Today.

I also had the opportunity to speak for five minutes in support of the Petition (which the Full Council meeting on 7 December had referred to today's Cabinet meeting). This is what I had to say in presenting the petition:-

When I presented this petition to the full meeting of the Council on 7 December, I expressed my astonishment that, in a little over a week, it had proved possible to gather over 5,000 signatures from residents of the District asking the Council to withdraw its action in the High Court that was designed to frustrate John Prescott’s decision to grant planning permission for Brighton and Hove Albion to go ahead with the long awaited Community Stadium on the outskirts of Brighton.

It is disappointing, to say the least, that this Council has persisted in its determination to fly in the face of the views of so many people, who, I am sure, share their opinion with an overwhelming majority of residents in the district.

The Council has now submitted its appeal and, today, I see little sign that you intend to change your minds.

But that does not take away from the fact that there is an overwhelming case for second thoughts.

It is not just that a large number of local residents oppose the Council’s decision. The question of costs is a very serious one indeed.

Councillor Commin has stated that the Council is risking no more than £25,000 on a case that he acknowledges may cost £65,000. Even if that figure is correct, the money that is available from other sources is insufficient to bridge the gap between what the case will cost and the £25,000 that has been budgeted.

Falmer Parish Council has publicly stated that it has only £15,000 available; contributions of £5,000 from the South Downs Joint Committee and a similar sum apparently promised by the South Downs Society will leave someone having to find at least £15,000. Who is that going to be?

And there are sound reasons to believe that the costs might exceed £65,000. On 7 December, I referred to the 2004 Solihull case, where that Council acknowledged that the financial risks of challenging Mr Prescott in Court were considerably higher than any figure that Lewes has discussed.

But, in the Falmer case, we can now be certain that the cost risks are higher. This Council, for reasons that I simply don’t understand, has drawn not only John Prescott into the defendant’s corner, but has served papers on Brighton and Hove City Council and the Football Club. Three parties now have to defend their position. Contrary to what the District Solicitor has said today, it is perfectly possible to leave the name of an Interested Party off the list of defendants.

The Albion have stated today that their costs alone could approach £90,000 and that, when they win, they will apply to the Court for Lewes District Council to pay those costs. No doubt the City Council will take the same view.

Your £25,000, inadequate even to meet the First Secretary of State’s costs, is not going to stretch anywhere near far enough.

And, on one of your key points, you will lose, since the Court is certain to follow the precedent that has been established in the Pembrokeshire National Park case – where, incidentally, the Chambers of your own independent legal adviser represented not the appellant, but the developer! Have you really taken sound advice?

And on your second key point – that an alternative site is available – you are simply ignoring the conclusions of Inspector Brier. There is no alternative to Falmer. To pretend otherwise is to deceive the residents of this district and football supporters everywhere.

We all know that the Cabinet Committee's decision to commit funding to this case was not subject to a proper debate within the Council. Questions have been asked today about the process and the cavalier attitude of the Cabinet to the Council’s constitution and its lack of openness about costs.

A number of members of the Council have expressed their concerns and some of them have told me that they would welcome a review of the decision. I am also told that the Scrutiny Committee will discuss a possible Review, once the Chair returns from holiday at the end of this week. Councillor Davy has even resigned from the Cabinet on this issue, and Councillor Commin’s position is beginning to look very difficult, particularly following his public pledge to resign, if costs cannot be contained.

Things are looking very difficult for you. Once again, I ask you to reconsider and withdraw this potentially very expensive and certainly very unpopular action.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rangdo said:
They are royally f***ed. If they really think that this whole business is only going to cost £65k and them personally £25k they are in for a huge shock :smokin:

Unfortunately, it will personally cost them nothing - if it did, there's no way that they would pursue this action.

Sterling work by Ed and Tim as usual, BTW.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
LDC are playing Texas hold-em Poker with taxpayers money

They know they have a bad hand, but they need a royal flush to win, asnf they current hold Jack high with one card to draw

The real question is, how far will they go before admitting they have royally f***ed up, and fold?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Woodchip said:
Just a silly question. As we live in a "democracy" can we not call for a local election at any time, as a Vote Of Confidence?

If not, why not? If so do we have to get a petition to Mr Blair?

good question, we should ask sir ming and mark oaten to comment, they need norman bakers vote big time, but couldnt seriously support such a frivolous usage of taxpayers money

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Jeep then lid on. The whole affair is getting ridiculous!

Step back !

For the cost of the lawyers somebody (the Albion) could have bought 200 acreas of useless farmland and build the f***ing stadium by now!

Swansea have built a new stadium and a new sewage works, covered the new sewage works with grass, and all Brighton has done is half burnt down the pier!

I am not about to make judgements. But something is f***ing wrong with this Brighton town !

It is only people that make decisions (and I am not in power) so Burn me!

:flameboun

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well done Ed and Tim.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
i believe the club should place a levy on all tickets next season of £1 per game(highlighted on all tickets to the reason). This would soon raise the expected costs. when we win and rightly claim our money back this could go straight into the youth development/a supporters player fund.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
PILTDOWN MAN said:
i believe the club should place a levy on all tickets next season of £1 per game(highlighted on all tickets to the reason). This would soon raise the expected costs. when we win and rightly claim our money back this could go straight into the youth development/a supporters player fund.

nice idea but i'd hope that by the time next season starts this will be over and done with and they'll be in deep sh1t

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
PILTDOWN MAN said:
i believe the club should place a levy on all tickets next season of £1 per game (highlighted on all tickets to the reason). This would soon raise the expected costs. when we win and rightly claim our money back this could go straight into the youth development/a supporters player fund.

Every supporter has that option now if they so desire they just apply for a ticket stating that they want to pay £25 being £23.00 for the ticket and a £2.00 donation to whatever fund they wish or when renewing their season ticket take it up to the next £100 and do the same.

I do not believe that the club should make this compulsory.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Todays Argus article

Lewes councillors said they had suffered sleepless nights over their decision to challenge Falmer stadium.

Brighton and Hove Albion supporters listened to Lewes District Council at a Cabinet meeting yesterday.

Councillors faced a barrage of complaints from supporters who begged them to reconsider their legal bid to block Albion's proposed new stadium.

The club's financial experts warn that defending the challenge in the High Court could cost the council almost three times more than it has budgeted.

But Neil Commin, Lewes's lead councillor for planning, said he staked his job on the legal costs not topping £65,000.

He said: "I have no reason to doubt the decision we've taken. My personal position in that sense is easy because I'm clear on where I stand on this, and I mean this sincerely."

But Seagulls fans warned councillors they were taking an "almighty gamble".

Coun Norman Turner said councillors had "spent many hours of sleeplessness but believe and trust we are doing the best, in the long term for the residents of Lewes".

Catherine Knight, the council's solicitor, said it was standard practice to name both Albion and Brighton and Hove City Council as defendants in their High Court case.

Responding to suggestions this could leave the council open to paying extra costs, she said it was "very remote" that the club's claim would be granted.

Other councillors insisted they had nothing against the Albion, they were concerned John Prescott had overlooked several key points.

These included the effect on the South Downs national park. The council argued planning permission should not be givewn until the park boundaries have been confirmed.

Former leader of Brighton Council, Steve Bassam scoffed at the claim. He said Lewes councillors had been lobbying the Countryside Agency to place the borders though the middle of the proposed pitch.

Albion fan Lord Bassam said: "This is a cunning ploy for Lewes District Council and they're now seeking to benefit from that lobbying.

"The principle of the national park has long been established. The boundaries have also been consulted on and it will be some time before that consultation report is issued - probably next autumn.

"Mr Prescott took the view it would be unfair for residents and the football club to wait.

"But it was Brighton Council that began a local campaign for the National Park which wasn't supported by the bordering councils, including Lewes. Yet they are now using it in their argument, ironic, isn't it?"

The council also said it believes Mr Prescott is misstaken in saying the stadium is a matter of national interest.

However, speaking afterwards, Lord Bassam said the regeneration of sporting facilities is part of the Government's national policy.

He said: "I think Lewes District Council is fundamentally misunderstanding the situation and misleading the public. It's extremely unlikely their challenge will lead to a different outcome."

The hearing is expected to take place in the summer.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The thing that worries me about a Judicial Review is that it's all down to getting the right judge, if we get a non football supporting, green field loving stuffed shirt, we have no chance.

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Wanderer said:
The thing that worries me about a Judicial Review is that it's all down to getting the right judge, if we get a non football supporting, green field loving stuffed shirt, we have no chance.

Wrong, he only has the right to ask Prescott to change his mind, if he doesn't want to, he doesn't have to.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
cardboard said:
Wrong, he only has the right to ask Prescott to change his mind, if he doesn't want to, he doesn't have to.
Nice, I didn't know that, so that makes it even more amazing that LDC are taking this action, they must know that it won't change anything, their only hope must be that we'll go bust in the process

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Wanderer said:

Not true. The judge isn't going to look at whether or not the stadium should be built there. He is only going to ensure that the correct process has been followed to arrive at the decision.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Ok, ok already, now i've been corrected twice

Quit beating me up !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here