Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The cost of the stadium appeal

Wanderer said:
The thing that worries me about a Judicial Review is that it's all down to getting the right judge, if we get a non football supporting, green field loving stuffed shirt, we have no chance.
That's whats worrying me,some old c:angry: nt that loves nothing more than a freshly buttered schoolboy who knows Norman Baker from his teabagging days at Dukes mound,a football club wiped out on the wim of a couple meaningless Liberals,don't you just love British democracy.:angry:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just wanted to thank LB and Tim... great work fellas (again)... not sure how well we would have done without you...

:clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
B.W. said:
Just wanted to thank LB and Tim... great work fellas (again)... not sure how well we would have done without you...

:clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2:
I think everyone on NSC would echo those comments. They are LEGENDS

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I must admit to finding this worrying. I appreciate what people say about the judge can only check to see if the process has been applied correctly, but what happens if the judge decides that it hasn't. I cant believe that its as simple as Prescott just 'ignoring it, crossing the T's again etc, because whats the point in Lewes DC going through all of this just for a simple correction, leaving the decision unchanged.

There must be something at the back of LDC mind. Maybe they hope that the Albion go bust, but by the middle of this summer? I doubt it. So what else?

Well what got me scared is the bit in the Argus i.e

"Former leader of Brighton Council, Steve Bassam scoffed at the claim. He said Lewes councillors had been lobbying the Countryside Agency to place the borders though the middle of the proposed pitch.

Albion fan Lord Bassam said: "This is a cunning ploy for Lewes District Council and they're now seeking to benefit from that lobbying.

"The principle of the national park has long been established. The boundaries have also been consulted on and it will be some time before that consultation report is issued - probably next autumn."

So, is this their game. To inform the Judge that the boundaries of a Nat Park have not been decided upon. This in turn puts back a full hearing of the JR until after the report is issued i.e Autumn 2006. If after successful lobbying the Countryside Agency do amend the boundary to include proposed stadium. The Judge then says that the Local Inspectors report was fatally flawed because of this and needs to be carried out again. How can Prescott ignore that. And also can the club afford another enquiry.

As a safety measure shouldn't we writing to the Countryside Agency now to make sure that the stadium is not included in Nat Park.

Is this what LDC are hoping for or am I worrying over nothing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
DIFFBROOK said:
I must admit to finding this worrying. I appreciate what people say about the judge can only check to see if the process has been applied correctly, but what happens if the judge decides that it hasn't. I cant believe that its as simple as Prescott just 'ignoring it, crossing the T's again etc, because whats the point in Lewes DC going through all of this just for a simple correction, leaving the decision unchanged.

There must be something at the back of LDC mind. Maybe they hope that the Albion go bust, but by the middle of this summer? I doubt it. So what else?

"Former leader of Brighton Council, Steve Bassam scoffed at the claim. He said Lewes councillors had been lobbying the Countryside Agency to place the borders though the middle of the proposed pitch.

Albion fan Lord Bassam said: "This is a cunning ploy for Lewes District Council and they're now seeking to benefit from that lobbying.

"The principle of the national park has long been established. The boundaries have also been consulted on and it will be some time before that consultation report is issued - probably next autumn."

So, is this their game. To inform the Judge that the boundaries of a Nat Park have not been decided upon. This in turn puts back a full hearing of the JR until after the report is issued i.e Autumn 2006. If after successful lobbying the Countryside Agency do amend the boundary to include proposed stadium. The Judge then says that the Local Inspectors report was fatally flawed because of this and needs to be carried out again. How can Prescott ignore that. And also can the club afford another enquiry.

As a safety measure shouldn't we writing to the Countryside Agency now to make sure that the stadium is not included in Nat Park.

I don't claim to be an expert , far far far from the that but this is how I also have read this . Anyone got any assurances ?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Seems a feasible to my untrained eye

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dougal said:
I don't claim to be an expert , far far far from the that but this is how I also have read this . Anyone got any assurances ?

It is just utter CRAP.

CRAP = CARRYING RESENTMENT AGAINST PRESCOTT

LDC and the person who thought this ruse up are using as a deliberate delaying tactic because they do NOT like the decision.

Furthermore, they are trying to justify their action by saying it is to protect the downs because they say the decision is not clear, i.e. they are too thick to understand it, or more likely, they do not understand it because they do not agree with it.

Their justifications are to save their seats.

But who thought this ruse up? We know who is paying for it: the ratepayers of Lewes!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
DIFFBROOK said:

I think Bassam is slightly missing the central point.

The reason Lewes wanted Prescott to delay the decision was to allow the SDNP decision to be made, thereby scuppering the chances of the stadium being built. However, Prescott has already decided about the stadium, and so it will be irrelevant as to where the boundaries are because the stadium decision came first. In other words, the SDNP was not an issue because it did not exist.

Lewes' gripe is that Prescott asked for the effect on the stadium sites the South Down National Park might have, and that having done so, didn't mention it in his letter of planning consent. If he did mention the SDNP, I am surmising that it would be seen to be prejudicial to the SDNP public inquiry.

As it transpires, the stadium is outside the Countryside Agency's proposed national park, although the coach park is inside. See here... http://www.countryside.gov.uk/Images/Map 32_tcm2-26629.pdf

It is not for the judge to determine whether the Inspector's report is 'fatally flawed'. Remember, they were recommendations for the ODPM to act upon, taking into consideration whatever information the office deemed fit. He is there to judge whether the points Lewes raise are valid enough to send back to Prescott for re-consideration.

There will be no new Public Inquiry. There is no new evidence to be revealed. Lewes are merely pissed off at Prescott's interpretation of it. And no, we have no idea why Lewes are doing it. Even the South Downs Joints Committee, which is coughing up £5,000 is only expecting some clarfication from the proceedings, they are not expecting Prescott to change his mind.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
In any case the level of protection afforded to a National Park is the same as an AONB, so as planning permission has been given within the AONB there is no reason why it shouldn't for the National Park.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Curious Orange said:
In any case the level of protection afforded to a National Park is the same as an AONB, so as planning permission has been given within the AONB there is no reason why it shouldn't for the National Park.
However, Lewes loses its role as planning authority - on accession of the park, that transfers to the National Park bods.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The Large One said:
However, Lewes loses its role as planning authority - on accession of the park, that transfers to the National Park bods.

Although, that again is beside the point as the relevant planning authority is still the ODPM because of the call in for a Public Inquiry.

Really makes you wonder why LDC are even bothering to protest.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Easy 10 said:
What does your trained eye say then ?

My trained eye says, gaw what a lovely ass my secretary has !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here