Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Speak up against what lockdown? We haven't been in lockdown for months.

What I think is happening is the combination of...

- General social distancing
- Improved hygiene
- Massive increase in working from home
- All educational settings being closed for the summer
- Significantly reduced use of public transport
- Care homes being better handled than was the case back in March/April
- Vulnerable people continuing to take great care at all times
- What virus spread is happening being mainly between those who are likely to have a good outcome (young and those without complicating conditions)
- People just being aware and trying to do the right thing whenever they can.
- Far greater knowledge of how best to treat those who do get very sick, including therapeutics such as remdesivir.

I don't think masks in shops makes a massive difference, but they certainly won't be doing any harm. They also act as a way of getting people accustomed to wearing a mask in case greater usage may be required as we move into autumn and winter.

This is all good news. We are balancing the pragmatic resumption of as much economic activity as possible with health concerns in a manner that enables us to tiptoe towards vaccine availability.

That's a big "THIS" from me.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
https://unherd.com/thepost/a-major-covid-milestone-that-you-wont-find-on-the-bbc/

On 19th August, England passed a significant milestone, which since today we can report with some confidence: there were zero reported deaths following a positive Covid-19 test in hospitals or other settings, for the first time since 7th March.

This is a remarkable event, but check the homepage of the BBC or any other mainstream publication and there is no mention of it at all. For months, the country was battered by daily headlines about Covid deaths, but with this good news comes no commensurate coverage.

This is especially surprising given that the daily hospital deaths report has been the single most reliable indicator of progress throughout the coronavirus crisis. From early April, I started tweeting daily updates on English hospital deaths by the actual date of death, as provided by NHS England. As deaths can take some time to be reported, this number does not usually reach something close to its final total until five days later.

This method meant that as early as the 10th April, we could identify that deaths had probably already peaked two days earlier. On 15th April, the Chief Medical Officer told the daily press conference that deaths were still increasing despite the fact that the date-of-death data told us unambiguously that we had passed the peak of deaths a week earlier.

The date-of-death numbers have been in single figures more often than not since the end of July, a period when the now-discredited Public Health England deaths measure was still reporting over 50 deaths per day and giving the false impression that easing restrictions had stopped deaths decreasing.

So the first day of zero reported deaths is a truly significant event. Lockdown was originally introduced in the middle of a crisis to stop the NHS being overwhelmed, but we are now in a very different situation: Weekly deaths involving flu and pneumonia are now over 6 times the number involving coronavirus, and Covid-19 hospitalisations have come down dramatically from a peak of more than 3,000 on the 1 April to an average of 50 per day now.

In light of this progress, it is frustrating that decisions over local restriction measures are focusing so much on reported new cases. As Carl Heneghan of the Oxford Centre for Evidence Based Medicine has explained, new case data are hard to interpret: not only do increased cases partly reflect the huge increase in testing, but also tests are likely to pick up some cases where the person is no longer infectious.

There will still be Covid-related deaths for some time to come and each one is of course an individual tragedy. It may even be that one or more will be reported later for 19th August. Nevertheless, it is essential that we reset our attitude towards coronavirus because our measures to fight the virus can no longer justify putting children’s education, the arts, sport, our economy and normal human interactions on hold.

Now is the time for us to rediscover how to live life together to the full. Perhaps if the media played its role in reporting the news — good or bad — we might reach that goal faster.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
https://unherd.com/thepost/a-major-covid-milestone-that-you-wont-find-on-the-bbc/

On 19th August, England passed a significant milestone, which since today we can report with some confidence: there were zero reported deaths following a positive Covid-19 test in hospitals or other settings, for the first time since 7th March.

This is a remarkable event, but check the homepage of the BBC or any other mainstream publication and there is no mention of it at all. For months, the country was battered by daily headlines about Covid deaths, but with this good news comes no commensurate coverage.

This is especially surprising given that the daily hospital deaths report has been the single most reliable indicator of progress throughout the coronavirus crisis. From early April, I started tweeting daily updates on English hospital deaths by the actual date of death, as provided by NHS England. As deaths can take some time to be reported, this number does not usually reach something close to its final total until five days later.

This method meant that as early as the 10th April, we could identify that deaths had probably already peaked two days earlier. On 15th April, the Chief Medical Officer told the daily press conference that deaths were still increasing despite the fact that the date-of-death data told us unambiguously that we had passed the peak of deaths a week earlier.

The date-of-death numbers have been in single figures more often than not since the end of July, a period when the now-discredited Public Health England deaths measure was still reporting over 50 deaths per day and giving the false impression that easing restrictions had stopped deaths decreasing.

So the first day of zero reported deaths is a truly significant event. Lockdown was originally introduced in the middle of a crisis to stop the NHS being overwhelmed, but we are now in a very different situation: Weekly deaths involving flu and pneumonia are now over 6 times the number involving coronavirus, and Covid-19 hospitalisations have come down dramatically from a peak of more than 3,000 on the 1 April to an average of 50 per day now.

In light of this progress, it is frustrating that decisions over local restriction measures are focusing so much on reported new cases. As Carl Heneghan of the Oxford Centre for Evidence Based Medicine has explained, new case data are hard to interpret: not only do increased cases partly reflect the huge increase in testing, but also tests are likely to pick up some cases where the person is no longer infectious.

There will still be Covid-related deaths for some time to come and each one is of course an individual tragedy. It may even be that one or more will be reported later for 19th August. Nevertheless, it is essential that we reset our attitude towards coronavirus because our measures to fight the virus can no longer justify putting children’s education, the arts, sport, our economy and normal human interactions on hold.

Now is the time for us to rediscover how to live life together to the full. Perhaps if the media played its role in reporting the news — good or bad — we might reach that goal faster.

It's great news, but the suggestion that this non reporting is part of some BBC led conspiracy to keep us locked down is obvious nonsense and more likely part of some libertarian / right wing agenda. News outlets are reporting deaths on the basis of when they are officially announced.

If it's officially confirmed there is a date with no deaths which is tricky as there are always reporting delays and they are right to exercise caution, the government will be the ones to announce it and the news outlets will then fully cover that story and the reaction to it.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It's great news, but the suggestion that this non reporting is part of some BBC led conspiracy to keep us locked down is obvious nonsense and more likely part of some libertarian / right wing agenda. News outlets are reporting deaths on the basis of when they are officially announced.

If it's officially confirmed there is a date with no deaths which is tricky as there are always reporting delays and they are right to exercise caution, the government will be the ones to announce it and the news outlets will then fully cover that story and the reaction to it.

I agree it didnt need that bit, but I do think the MSM has been extremely gloomy in the last few weeks when in reality things have got a lot better...yes I know bad news sell papers, but some of the stories are really depressing some folks.

He does cover himself in saying about the zero deaths might change, but again says the NHS normally are correct after 5 days.

But this is the Good news thread...and BTW I am left of center in politics far far away from the right wing agenda :D

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree it didnt need that bit, but I do think the MSM has been extremely gloomy in the last few weeks when in reality things have got a lot better...yes I know bad news sell papers, but some of the stories are really depressing some folks.

He does cover himself in saying about the zero deaths might change, but again says the NHS normally are correct after 5 days.

But this is the Good news thread...and BTW I am left of center in politics far far away from the right wing agenda :D

Spot on and that article is 99% about it...well posted

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I'd just remember if there is genuinely a day without deaths, the government will announce it with a massive fanfare. They aren't because they know how subject to change the death figure are. The media will then report on the story.

It's a fair point that the media generally has put too large an emphasis on number of cases and not on the seriousness of these cases. To defend the media, many of the organisations are struggling and need every click they can get.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Not 'news' as such, but it is nice to hear them (Oxford, that is) talking openly about the possibility of having the vaccine before the end of the year:

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN25L0P0

LONDON*(Reuters) - Trial data for the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca's possible coronavirus vaccine could be given to regulators this year but corners cannot be cut to speed up approval for emergency use, a scientist leading the trials said on Tuesday.

The Oxford vaccine produced an immune response in its first human trials, underlining its position as one of the leading candidates in the race to combat a virus that has led to hundreds of thousands of deaths and crippled the global economy.

"It is just possible that if the cases accrue rapidly in the clinical trials, that we could have that data before regulators this year," Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, told BBC Radio of progress in larger, late-stage trials.

"Then there would be a process that they go through in order to make a full assessment of the data."

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Countries like China and Russia seem to be skipping Phase 3 Clinical Trials.

Not very ethical if you are 'volunteered' to have the vaccine, but it will give data that means a worldwide roll out of a vaccine could come about more quickly.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Countries like China and Russia seem to be skipping Phase 3 Clinical Trials.

Not very ethical if you are 'volunteered' to have the vaccine, but it will give data that means a worldwide roll out of a vaccine could come about more quickly.

Western science won't get this data. They will get a highly curated version of

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not 'news' as such, but it is nice to hear them (Oxford, that is) talking openly about the possibility of having the vaccine before the end of the year:

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN25L0P0

LONDON*(Reuters) - Trial data for the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca's possible coronavirus vaccine could be given to regulators this year but corners cannot be cut to speed up approval for emergency use, a scientist leading the trials said on Tuesday.

The Oxford vaccine produced an immune response in its first human trials, underlining its position as one of the leading candidates in the race to combat a virus that has led to hundreds of thousands of deaths and crippled the global economy.

"It is just possible that if the cases accrue rapidly in the clinical trials, that we could have that data before regulators this year," Andrew Pollard, director of the Oxford Vaccine Group, told BBC Radio of progress in larger, late-stage trials.

"Then there would be a process that they go through in order to make a full assessment of the data."

Just to add to the above

[tweet]1298177919756443649[/tweet]

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Weekly COVID-19 cases in England decline for first time since July

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...nd-decline-for-first-time-since-july-12057658

This is both really positive and quite remarkable in my eyes. I've been out a few times recently (dining out, a couple of drinks etc.), and the feeling of normality was profound (if a little unnerving in many ways). However, by hook or by crook we appear to be keeping a lid on things for the time being and the much maligned track and trace system appears to be doing its job.

Without wanting to get ahead of ourselves, at this time we seem to be doing a better job of managing the situation than many other European nations.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Weekly COVID-19 cases in England decline for first time since July

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...nd-decline-for-first-time-since-july-12057658

This is both really positive and quite remarkable in my eyes. I've been out a few times recently (dining out, a couple of drinks etc.), and the feeling of normality was profound (if a little unnerving in many ways). However, by hook or by crook we appear to be keeping a lid on things for the time being and the much maligned track and trace system appears to be doing its job.

Without wanting to get ahead of ourselves, at this time we seem to be doing a better job of managing the situation than many other European nations.

'A total of 75.5% of people who were in close contact with those who were initially contacted were reached'

That's hugely important. If we can keep at that level, or improving on it, alongside maintaining some simple cautionary behaviours, we should be able to keep a lid on things for some time to come. We won't eradicate it without a vaccine. But if levels in the community are kept low enough (which is what track and trace can do) we can get on with life, children return to school and vulnerable people can stay safe with some relatively easy precautions.
As long as it is only circulating at a relatively low level and amongst mainly younger people, the impact will be minimal and at a level with many other diseases that we live with fairly comfortably.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
'A total of 75.5% of people who were in close contact with those who were initially contacted were reached'

That's hugely important. If we can keep at that level, or improving on it, alongside maintaining some simple cautionary behaviours, we should be able to keep a lid on things for some time to come. We won't eradicate it without a vaccine. But if levels in the community are kept low enough (which is what track and trace can do) we can get on with life, children return to school and vulnerable people can stay safe with some relatively easy precautions.
As long as it is only circulating at a relatively low level and amongst mainly younger people, the impact will be minimal and at a level with many other diseases that we live with fairly comfortably.

Aye it’s endemic in society but perhaps ‘we’ should become less fearful of its potency in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here