Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Good post.

Add this data and things are definitely rather more positive than the headlines suggest.

[TWEET]1299010340794052613[/TWEET]

It appears a lot of cases from about a week ago were added today.

So there you go; that just about explains the anomalous increase. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

The media wind me up at the minute; I'm not for a minute disputing that they're reporting the facts, however they do so very much with a negative inference which is so often incorrect. This thread was criticised by a minority the other day as being a load of covid-denying, head in the clouds gumpf. It isn't. Personally I see it as bridging the gap between the statistics and their true context.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So there you go; that just about explains the anomalous increase. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

The media wind me up at the minute; I'm not for a minute disputing that they're reporting the facts, however they do so very much with a negative inference which is so often incorrect. This thread was criticised by a minority the other day as being a load of covid-denying, head in the clouds gumpf. It isn't. Personally I see it as bridging the gap between the statistics and their true context.

Without hijacking

The media are after Johnson.

That’s why

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Covid is the only story in town right now.

Again, without hijacking, let's see what the reporting of cases (not deaths or hospitalisations) is around the final Brexit transition. You could have 2000 cases a day by then and if our hospitals aren't on their knees and if deaths are at the current rate the whole of the media will be a Brexit feeding frenzy.

The increased number of tests is good news. The continuing low death rate is good news. That doesn't sell papers or TV ratings but it keeps me coming back to this thread time and time and time again.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Definitely a media created issue where the facts are reported with little attempt at context. This thread remains a breath of fresh air

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
  • NHS staff (and care workers?) getting tested regularly now
  • Track and Trace will generate a lot of tests for people without symptoms
  • And people will self-refer if they have been in contact with anyone with symptoms

Just my guesses/assumptions

Add in pop up test centres in ‘lockdown’ areas where people are encouraged to be tested

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Thank you GCCM, genuinely mean it when say was feeling a bit depressed about cv19 and the future today and so clicked on this thread, read your post and it's cheered me up.:cheers:

Never take one lot of stats in isolation to the others ..like triage..hospitalisations etc...and look beyond the headline figure and delve into the facts

One stat to balance out the obsession a lot of MSM have about cases is

https://twitter.com/ukcovid19stats/status/1299065935777665024?s=21

then there is

https://twitter.com/anshul__k/status/1299007583198605315?s=21

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Parents should be "reassured" Covid-19 has not caused the deaths of any otherwise healthy schoolchildren in the UK, researchers say.

Children's risk of needing hospital treatment for coronavirus is "tiny" and critical care "even tinier", they say.

However, black children, those who are obese and very young babies have a slightly higher risk.

The BMJ study*looked at 651 children with coronavirus in hospitals in England, Wales and Scotland.

It covers two-thirds of all children's admissions in the UK due to Covid-19 between January and July and confirms*what is already known about the minimal effects of the virus on children*.

A "strikingly low" 1% of these 651 children and young people - six in total - had died in hospital with Covid-19 compared with 27% across all other age groups, the study found.

Only 18% had needed intensive care.

And the six who had died had had "profound" underlying health conditions that had often been complex and themselves life-limiting.

Children with such conditions remained vulnerable to the virus and must take precautions, the researchers said.

But for others, the risk was extremely low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-53932294

Still an unknown about "passing on to granny" but hopefully helps parents to decide about kids back to school next week.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Still an unknown about "passing on to granny" but hopefully helps parents to decide about kids back to school next week.

Still unknown, yes, as in there isn't enough reliable evidence to be certain about anything. But it appears that there is some useful evidence available. And it is reasonably reassuring:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52003804

"Community studies in Iceland, South Korea, Netherlands and Italy all found evidence children were less likely to have - or have had - the virus than adults. The Italian region in the study tested 70% of its population.

A review of the evidence by a global team of researchers concluded: "The role of children in transmission is unclear, but consistent evidence is demonstrating a lower likelihood of acquiring infection, and lower rates of children bringing infections into households."

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Parents should be "reassured" Covid-19 has not caused the deaths of any otherwise healthy schoolchildren in the UK, researchers say.

Children's risk of needing hospital treatment for coronavirus is "tiny" and critical care "even tinier", they say.

However, black children, those who are obese and very young babies have a slightly higher risk.

The BMJ study*looked at 651 children with coronavirus in hospitals in England, Wales and Scotland.

It covers two-thirds of all children's admissions in the UK due to Covid-19 between January and July and confirms*what is already known about the minimal effects of the virus on children*.

A "strikingly low" 1% of these 651 children and young people - six in total - had died in hospital with Covid-19 compared with 27% across all other age groups, the study found.

Only 18% had needed intensive care.

And the six who had died had had "profound" underlying health conditions that had often been complex and themselves life-limiting.

Children with such conditions remained vulnerable to the virus and must take precautions, the researchers said.

But for others, the risk was extremely low.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-53932294

Add in that children of all ages have been mixing in large numbers (from what I’ve seen) for the past month

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Add in that children of all ages have been mixing in large numbers (from what I’ve seen) for the past month

Very true. In many cases going back to school might just mean more controlled mixing compared to what has already been going on for some time. And (as mentioned previously) much easier tracing if cases do pop up.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I spoke to a respiratory consultant at work this week (I hadn’t seen him since the start of the pandemic) who said that they are in a far stronger position now. Another consultant told me that they know so much more and are far better at treating COVID. Although we may not have a cure it gave me a lot of reassurance. These are people I trust.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I spoke to a respiratory consultant at work this week (I hadn’t seen him since the start of the pandemic) who said that they are in a far stronger position now. Another consultant told me that they know so much more and are far better at treating COVID. Although we may not have a cure it gave me a lot of reassurance. These are people I trust.

Thanks for that feedback. It is always lovely to hear good things from people at the sharp end.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The ZOE COVID app now has an “active cases in your area” estimate.

For my area of Arun I have watched this change as follows over the last 2/3 weeks

35 cases
25 cases
14 cases
5 cases

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here