Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Thanks for all the answers about the Covid app. I have had the app since it appeared. I just cannot find the local data that [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] described.

On the front page of the android app is a map of uk and "cases in your area"

You can expand to your area and see current estimates

Screenshot_20200830-102854_COVID Symptom Study.jpg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I know I shouldn’t expect anymore but it still angers me this doesn’t get reported, the press just report positive cases and dont seem to attach that the most important numbers continue to fall and haven’t stopped falling. It’s CLEAR that treatments have advanced massively and that a shed load of mild cases are being found.

027F176C-71CA-4EBE-BFA1-FF4F34E930CD.jpeg

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I know I shouldn’t expect anymore but it still angers me this doesn’t get reported, the press just report positive cases and dont seem to attach that the most important numbers continue to fall and haven’t stopped falling. It’s CLEAR that treatments have advanced massively and that a shed load of mild cases are being found.

View attachment 127880

It's really starting to wind me up now. When deaths were high the new cases figures weren't a focus at all. Now they seem the only focus and the one that local lockdowns etc are based around

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It's really starting to wind me up now. When deaths were high the new cases figures weren't a focus at all. Now they seem the only focus and the one that local lockdowns etc are based around

If we had seen a direct correlation between case rises and hospital admissions and deaths in those places that were locked down it would make sense, but we haven't seen that at all.

Either mild and asymptomatic cases are being found, we are seeing a lot of false positives or the virus is weaker (possibly a mix of all three)

Whatever it is the government need to look deeper than case numbers to base their decision making on going forward.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If we had seen a direct correlation between case rises and hospital admissions and deaths in those places that were locked down it would make sense, but we haven't seen that at all.

Either mild and asymptomatic cases are being found, we are seeing a lot of false positives or the virus is weaker (possibly a mix of all three)

Whatever it is the government need to look deeper than case numbers to base their decision making on going forward.

This is an absolute must for me, if I don’t see the government doing this soon my patience is going to start waring very thin, I’m neutral on the handling of COVID so far(Let’s not go there for the sake of this thread :lolol: ) but for me if they don’t start coming out and being more proactive with the way they react to cases rising it’s total negligence, I had to explain to my mum earlier who had seen ITV news yesterday trawling out the ‘Biggest rise in cases since June’ that things were not as clear cut as just case numbers.

It’s honestly dreadful from the main stream news. It’s been happening for months but it really is just awful the way they misinform people simply for clicks or to deliberately scaremonger. If we can’t rely on mainstream news, someone needs to step in and MAKE these broadcasters show the full data sheets, not just the one number that scares people.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
A sensible piece on the fall in mortality and hospitalization rates here:

https://www.ft.com/content/c011e214...ebb29d7?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Bottom line, I think, is straightforward. It's not magic, it's probably not some change in the virus (it might be, but definitely too early to draw that conclusion). It is simply that medical care is improving and we are collectively working out how to live with it in a way that is sustainable and will protect the NHS. We can't just pretend it isn't there (yet) we do need to stay careful and we do need to stay very aware of the dangers, especially to the most vulnerable. But we don't need to be terrified and to live in fear.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hope that this thread slipping down isn't necessarily a fully bad sign, as many have grown accustomed to the way we are living for now. At the same time I know some still appreciate it, so if and when I find positive snippets I will post them here.

From Times article behind paywall;

Coronavirus vaccine ready to be fast-tracked before Christmas

A coronavirus vaccine could be available this year with the law changed to fast track approval before Christmas, the health secretary said yesterday.

Matt Hancock said that vaccine trials were going well and pharmacists, paramedics, vets and those with no clinical training could be allowed to administer a safe and effective jab to ensure that millions of people get it quickly.

Slightly misleading headline IMO, but good to see that they continue to refer to around Christmas as a realistic, genuine timeframe.

Last edited:

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
I hope that this thread slipping down isn't necessarily a fully bad sign, as many have grown accustomed to the way we are living for now. At the same time I know some still appreciate it, so if and when I find positive snippets I will post them here.

From Times article behind paywall;

Slightly misleading headline IMO, but good to see that they continue to refer to around Christmas as a realistic, genuine timeframe.

Thanks for all your efforts [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] (and others) for keeping this thread on track and regularly updated.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Worldometers update;

Since August 13th, the 7-day moving average for Global Deaths has gone down every single day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Reading a further article on the subject of the/a vaccine, it seems they are looking to set up drive thru vaccination centres - much like the drive thru test centres, firstly to administer a higher number of winter flu vaccines, but to then be repurposed if/when an effective vaccine is approved.

Also looking into the possibility of training up a higher number of doctors and nurses, and possibly even looking towards dentists and vets, to make sure there is no shortage of personnel trained to administer vaccines, once rollout is upon us.

I consider it good news just to know we are at the stage where such things are now being planned/considered. Science is moving at absolute light speed to defeat this virus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here