Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think the much maligned Government are, at present, making a good fist of keeping the numbers under control, typified by the ever falling death toll. Even test and trace is beginning to underpin rapid, very local lock downs

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
For what I believe is the first time since this whole thing started, the number of Global Active Cases on Worldometers has gone down for the past few days. Given the massively ramped up testing levels worldwide over the past 6 months, that is undeniably good news.

And the age of the infected is going down it seems.

Also good news

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
We need caution, not panic. If we're all sensible we can move forwards safely.

Sums it up for me.

• Wear masks indoors in public, crowded places
  • Maintain social distance wherever possible outside your household
  • Be especially careful with old and vulunerable
  • Wash your hands regularly
  • If you have any symptoms, get tested and isolate yourself

These actions as individuals will seemingly be enough (combined with increasingly effective test and trace and early local lockdowns where required) to keep things comfortably under control.

This all seems to me to be sustainable for some time. Economy can tick along. Schools go back. Lives lived almost normally. And then, after a few months of this, we'll have the scientific solutions.

Until then, the biggest unknown (amongst many) is the impact of winter - so let's just err more on the side of caution until we know how that's going to pan out.

I am confident we'll be back in the Amex, with full crowds, by early next year. Maybe before.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sums it up for me.

These actions as individuals will seemingly be enough (combined with increasingly effective test and trace and early local lockdowns where required) to keep things comfortably under control.

This all seems to me to be sustainable for some time. Economy can tick along. Schools go back. Lives lived almost normally. And then, after a few months of this, we'll have the scientific solutions.

Until then, the biggest unknown (amongst many) is the impact of winter - so let's just err more on the side of caution until we know how that's going to pan out.

I am confident we'll be back in the Amex, with full crowds, by early next year. Maybe before.

What a sensible, balanced, thoughtful post.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Sums it up for me.

Very well said. I think the government have to encourage more people, and particularly companies, to get back to a level of 'normality' whilst heeding this advice. The economy and mental health of this country needs it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
42F3C3DF-EC1B-46F3-83AC-5797B0017232.png

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Portugal now on safe list..... phew.... roll on 12th Sept for a week.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Further noise towards a weaker strain possibly being the one taking hold now;

New hyper-infectious coronavirus strain may be 'a good thing', says disease expert

8/20/2020
A strain of the novel coronavirus spreading across large parts of the globe may be ten times more infectious but less deadly, a top disease expert has said.

President-elect of the International Society of Infectious Diseases, Paul Tambyah, has said evidence suggests the proliferation of the D614G mutation in some parts of the world has coincided with a drop in death rates.

He said this could mean the new strain, increasingly found in Europe, North America and parts of Asia, is less lethal.

Epidemiologists may not be surprised, as the majority of viruses tend to become less virulent as they mutate - a way of ensuring its own survival in its host.

Prof Tambyah told Reuters: "Maybe that's a good thing to have a virus that is more infectious but less deadly.

"It is in the virus' interest to infect more people but not to kill them, because a virus depends on the host for food and for shelter.”

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Further noise towards a weaker strain possibly being the one taking hold now;

A lot of the data across Europe right now would attest to this. I know this is the good news thread but this is only for context; cases in France are almost back to mid-April levels (not allowing for increased testing), however deaths remain as flat as a pancake and incredibly low.

It’s hard to present an argument that the lethality of this virus is anything like it was five months ago. I’m still of the school of thought that an effective vaccine is the only true exit strategy, but it’s certainly plausible that it might not be necessary if this virus continues down this apparently less harmful path.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
7 day rolling deaths average is down to 8 a day which is the lowest its been since March - was as high as 943 in April !

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Really fantastic news if this proves to be the case. Especially if the milder form becomes the dominant type.

[TWEET]1296781761591083008[/TWEET]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Really fantastic news if this proves to be the case. Especially if the milder form becomes the dominant type.

[TWEET]1296781761591083008[/TWEET]

I think the consensus amongst epidemiologists is that it is logical for milder strains to become more dominant, as people are less likely to modify behaviour if symptoms are mild-to-non existent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here