Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Should be, if it happens. Have you been to Pembrokeshire before? Stunning coast, and we've been multiple times. I've never been to Eire before, so really looking forward to the prospect of that.

Yes ..quite sometime ago but it’s on my list to go again ..haven’t been to Eire ..just the North ..but I’ve not met a person who’s had a bad word to say about going there on holiday

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Expecting a busy day in this thread given The Lancet are publishing the results of Oxford’s vaccine Stage I trials at some point, but this also looks like fantastic news on the treatment side;

Coronavirus: Protein treatment trial “a breakthrough”.

Trial indicates that this treatment lessens progression from hospitalisation to ICU by 79%. This is possibly a bigger deal than the dexamethasone efficacy was.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53467022

The preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 dramatically reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it.

The treatment from Southampton-based biotech Synairgen uses a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.

The protein is inhaled directly into the lungs of patients with coronavirus, using a nebuliser, in the hope that it will stimulate an immune response.

The initial findings suggest the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by 79%.

Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claims.

It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.

In addition, the average time patients spent in hospital is said to have been reduced by a third, for those receiving the new drug - down from an average of nine days to six days.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Expecting a busy day in this thread given The Lancet are publishing the results of Oxford’s vaccine Stage I trials at some point, but this also looks like fantastic news on the treatment side;

Trial indicates that this treatment lessens progression from hospitalisation to ICU by 79%. This is possibly a bigger deal than the dexamethasone efficacy was.

It certainly seems like things have moved on from the dark days and far less of those requiring hospital treatment are ending up ventilated or critical

saulth

May 28, 2020

It seems to be complementary, which is great. Dexamethasone mainly helps those patients who end up in ICU. This new treatment may avoid ending up in ICU.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This looks like an enormous breakthrough if proven. Fingers crossed.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing

I'm quite literally wetting myself today. I'm in this stock and my investment has risen by over £11,500 today alone............:lol:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I know other people have said it but I really do love this thread. Top work guys.

Some days when things are tough at work or when I've got down watching the news or reading the BBC website! this thread will always perk me up.

Me too :)

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes ..quite sometime ago but it’s on my list to go again ..haven’t been to Eire ..just the North ..but I’ve not met a person who’s had a bad word to say about going there on holiday

Mrs Peteinblack is from Pembroke - the town itself has a castle, but is devoid of any other interest or reason to visit; virtually half of the shops on the main street have closed-down - long before COVID.

However, nearby, the lily-ponds at Bosherston, St. Govan's (the old 'chapel' half-way down a cliff, but accessible), and the beaches at Broad Haven and Barafundle, are superb for golden sands and clear water.

Also, about 10 miles in land, Carew and Cresswell Quay are well worth a visit; the tide on the river at Cresswell Quay comes in so fast you can literally see the water rising by the second.

We had a cottage booked in Pembroke for a week in May, but obviously had to cancel.

Last edited:

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

In a nutshell then, the vaccine appears to be safe and triggers a successful antibody and t-cell response; a hallmark of almost all successful vaccines.

Much more still needs to be done in relation to trials, however this is surely the best possible news we could have hoped for at this stage. Truly remarkable work by the team at Oxford. I am in awe.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

This, plus the news on the new teatment today, begins to show us the likely route out of this. Science will get us there!

Which is lucky as I have less and less faith in both our political leaders and the great British public to do the right things*

(*This is maybe unfair, as the majority of the public have been pretty sensible up to now, and probably want to continue, but with things starting to drift and so little clarity in the messages I am finding that it's really not very clear what 'sensible' looks like any more)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here