Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This, plus the news on the new teatment today, begins to show us the likely route out of this. Science will get us there!

Which is lucky as I have less and less faith in both our political leaders and the great British public to do the right things*

(*This is maybe unfair, as the majority of the public have been pretty sensible up to now, and probably want to continue, but with things starting to drift and so little clarity in the messages I am finding that it's really not very clear what 'sensible' looks like any more)

I was genuinely worried this morning when announced Government ordering millions of vaccines from abroad, assumed it was bad news on Oxford vaccine, but I don't believe this could have gone any better could it?

Great work.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In a nutshell then, the vaccine appears to be safe and triggers a successful antibody and t-cell response; a hallmark of almost all successful vaccines.

Much more still needs to be done in relation to trials, however this is surely the best possible news we could have hoped for at this stage. Truly remarkable work by the team at Oxford. I am in awe.

It does sound like it’s the T Cell response we should be most enthused by - likely to be far longer term than antibodies, from my (limited) understanding.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
RIP the 6, but the numbers are well down.

The number of people who died in English hospitals after a positive coronavirus test has reached 29,187 after NHS England recorded six more deaths in the last 24 hours.

The patients were aged between 74 and 98 years old and all had underlying health conditions.

The Department for Health and Social Care said on Friday it was “pausing” publication of daily death figures for the whole of the UK over concerns that the data for England may have included people who died months after a positive coronavirus test.

But Public Health England is continuing to make these figures available on the coronavirus data dashboard, which is expected to be updated later.

PHE has said that about 4,000 of the UK's 45,000 reported deaths happened more than 28 days after a test, the cut-off point for coronavirus deaths in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Of those, about 2,000 deaths were not blamed on coronavirus by the recording doctor.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
RIP the 6, but the numbers are well down.

The number of people who died in English hospitals after a positive coronavirus test has reached 29,187 after NHS England recorded six more deaths in the last 24 hours.

The patients were aged between 74 and 98 years old and all had underlying health conditions.

The Department for Health and Social Care said on Friday it was “pausing” publication of daily death figures for the whole of the UK over concerns that the data for England may have included people who died months after a positive coronavirus test.

But Public Health England is continuing to make these figures available on the coronavirus data dashboard, which is expected to be updated later.

PHE has said that about 4,000 of the UK's 45,000 reported deaths happened more than 28 days after a test, the cut-off point for coronavirus deaths in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Of those, about 2,000 deaths were not blamed on coronavirus by the recording doctor.

This (bold) seems to be common to virtually every announcement now. Horrible for those affected or vulnerable and worried, but the fit and healthy seemingly have little to fear from the virus, at least for now. No spike so far from the July 4th easing either.

https://twitter.com/ProfKarolSikora/status/1285231749044346890?s=20

11 reported fatalities today, even with the flawed system that is the joint lowest number reported since March.

580 new cases. Staying steady more than a fortnight after the bars opened.

With the vaccine news, it really does feel like we are making good progress.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Mrs Peteinblack is from Pembroke - the town itself has a castle, but is devoid of any other interest or reason to visit; virtually half of the shops on the main street have closed-down - long before COVID.

However, nearby, the lily-ponds at Bosherston, St. Govan's (the old 'chapel' half-way down a cliff, but accessible), and the beaches at Broad Haven and Barafundle, are superb for golden sands and clear water.

Also, about 10 miles in land, Carew and Cresswell Quay are well worth a visit; the tide on the river at Cresswell Quay comes in so fast you can literally see the water rising by the second.

We had a cottage booked in Pembroke for a week in May, but obviously had to cancel.

Marloe Sands is the best beach we've been to round there.

saulth

May 28, 2020
A new experimental treatment developed by Dutch researchers from the Zuyderland Medical Center has caused the mortality of patients in ICU to drop from 48% to 16%, Dutch site nos.nl reports. Seems to be corticosteroids based and works well against the cytokine storm that affects some of the sickest patients.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A new experimental treatment developed by Dutch researchers from the Zuyderland Medical Center has caused the mortality of patients in ICU to drop from 48% to 16%, Dutch site nos.nl reports. Seems to be corticosteroids based and works well against the cytokine storm that affects some of the sickest patients.

Excellent.

I honestly think we will obviously be delighted once the vaccine is widely available, but that COVID-19 circa late 2020 as we'll know it will have been irreparably weakened compared to the COVID-19 of early 2020.

Science is kicking the shit out of this thing.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Excellent.

I honestly think we will obviously be delighted once the vaccine is widely available, but that COVID-19 circa late 2020 as we'll know it will have been irreparably weakened compared to the COVID-19 of early 2020.

Science is kicking the shit out of this thing.

I really hope that one side effect of this whole ordeal is that a whole new generation of young people are inspired to see science as a 'cool' avenue to pursue. It was certainly anything but when I was growing up at school.

Whilst things such as footage of the SAS siege on the Iranian Embassy is arguably more powerful and evocative, this pandemic is a reminder that there are other ways to be a hero and save lives. We are all going to be indebted to scientists around the world after this.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
It’s clear looking at hospital admission data, that less people are getting serious illness, this has particularly decreased in the last week or so interestingly, it does appear treatments are getting significantly better. 7CFCE2BE-E2C5-4487-9AB5-FD4822251B87.jpegC090ABB4-A2AC-4EFE-8B1C-906B52EB99E6.jpegF27F39AB-0C28-4166-8BB3-236398625D41.jpeg

In the past week, people in hospital in England has reduced from 1392 to 1080 and 106 mechanically ventilated patients down from 136 last week.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s clear looking at hospital admission data, that less people are getting serious illness, this has particularly decreased in the last week or so interestingly, it does appear treatments are getting significantly better.View attachment 126338View attachment 126339View attachment 126340

In the past week, people in hospital in England has reduced from 1392 to 1080 and 106 mechanically ventilated patients down from 136 last week.

Gives a bit more meaning behind the headline numbers

saulth

May 28, 2020
Good news from Chinese vaccine by CanSino too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrap...virus-vaccine-by-cansino-seems-to-be-working/

“The phase 2 trial adds further evidence on safety and immunogenicity in a large population than the phase 1 trial,” Professor Fengcai Zhu from Jiangsu Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention told the People’s Daily on Tuesday. Phase three is underway.

Quoting a Spanish epidemiologist, there are so many potential vaccines and treatments being developed at the moment that the chances of getting at least a few of them right are huge.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
For those who like a graph

There were 10 COVID-19 associated deaths announced in English hospitals today, bringing the seven day average down to 14. The deaths added today occured between July 15th and July 20th. Remember the orange section is subject to change 1/2

[tweet]1285927007042314240[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here