Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

saulth

May 28, 2020
118 ventilated patients in the whole of England, down from a peak of nearly 3000 in April

1226 patients in hospital down from a peak of 17000 in April

66 deaths today, down from the highest Thursday total of 1078 in on Thursday April 7th

53 daily new admissions to hospital, down from 141 last Thursday and down from 3000 per day at peak.

All of these are for England only, except the deaths which are U.K. all settings. Good progress.

Remarkable progress.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Interesting studies, would go some way to confirm what a lot of people have been thinking with regard to infections and deaths falling even though there is increased movement of people.

C8E22435-013A-4CC2-9FB0-6EB68EFA0238.png

9DBB68B7-AB2E-4823-8175-0D95292ABF94.png

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Interesting studies, would go some way to confirm what a lot of people have been thinking with regard to infections and deaths falling even though there is increased movement of people.

View attachment 126181

View attachment 126182

This makes a lot of sense, and I’ve been thinking something along these lines for a while. If you think about it, London was absolutely ravaged not that long ago. It was always going to be. It’s by far the country’s biggest entry point for foreign travellers, many of whom then jump onto crowded public transport right into the heart of the city.

Whilst nowhere near usual capacity, public transport in London has been in use and reasonably busy for a couple of months now. There have been massive BLM protests. People congregating in large groups in and outside pubs. And what? No spike, no resurgence.

The US is also a very interesting example. Like London, New York took an absolute battering - maybe even worse. But also like London an and the UK, its case levels have dropped dramatically. Contrast that with Florida, Texas, Arizona - they got off lightly initially but then eased lockdown in line with national guidance and boom, an explosion. There may well be a different mentality between New Yorkers and Floridians, but to the extent that case numbers would run practically inversely? It’s hard to believe, particularly when New York is a state with a massive central population in NYC, a city again reliant on public transport in a way that Florida, Texas and Arizona are not.

Belarus is another really interesting example here. They never locked down at all, even less than much discussed Sweden. I don’t think they’ve even completely banned crowds at sporting events - they were certainly running full capacity events as recently as April, unlike the rest of the world. Again, case numbers have plummeted. Sweden, for what it’s worth, has followed the same pattern.

If conditions were the same as they were back in February and March I don’t see how any of this would be possible, particularly now we have got large swathes of our life back. Either the virus mutates into something less harmful as it rips through a population or far more people than thought have a natural immunity to it.

It’s fantastic that we appear to be closing in on a vaccine, however I’ve felt for a while that we may not even need it in the UK. If that proves to be the case, it gives us the opportunity to get it rolled out in Africa and the like where the problem has yet to meek and where natural immunity may not exist.

We will get through this. I honestly believe we nearly are.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...nto-public-health-england-death-data-12030392

So, turns out things 'may' (and I stress MAY) not have been as bad as first feared

Saw comments on that last night ...people need to have confidence in the data ....with all the queries over dying from or with covid19 this doesnt help...

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.15.20154294v1

On a separate note good to see T cells Being talked about more and more and even forming part of the much discussed Oxford vaccine

Last edited:

saulth

May 28, 2020
Tim Cook, Honorary Professor in anaesthesia at the University of Bristol, says that covid-19 ICU mortality has falled by a third regardless of the geographical location (the review includes Europe, Asia and North America). "The important message is that as the pandemic has progressed and various factors combine, survival of patients admitted to ICU has significantly improved", he says.

It would be interesting to know if fewer patiens end up in ICU now, compared to a couple of months ago. Seems to be the case in many countries. If you combine both things, you get a significantly lower mortality rate now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Tim Cook, Honorary Professor in anaesthesia at the University of Bristol, says that covid-19 ICU mortality has falled by a third regardless of the geographical location (the review includes Europe, Asia and North America). "The important message is that as the pandemic has progressed and various factors combine, survival of patients admitted to ICU has significantly improved", he says.

It would be interesting to know if fewer patiens end up in ICU now, compared to a couple of months ago. Seems to be the case in many countries. If you combine both things, you get a significantly lower mortality rate now.

Without getting political recovery rates were promised ....erm about two months ago ....so actually getting a break down of anything like you asked for seem remote....but as always the devil lies in the detail...more accurate info on recovery surely would help people ..particularly those who are traumatised

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am hearing very very encouraging noises at the hospital :)

Delighted to hear that.

Feel free to share any more detail you can in this thread, understand if can't though.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
‘A government source confirmed that PHE's current method of calculation means if a person was previously diagnosed with COVID-19 but subsequently died of unrelated causes, their death would still be counted as part of PHE's daily coronavirus death tally‘

Good news, in that less people have died. But absolutely shocking from PHE.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I am hearing very very encouraging noises at the hospital :)

Thank you, that's good to hear.

For reasons I have already explained earlier in this thread I would love it if it is the Jenner Institute's work that leads to the vaccine.

Obviously any vaccine that works is fantastic news, and the earlier the better. And it's not a jingoistic 'rah rah UK' thing. But based on what I have read, I really admire the group at Jenner for what they have been doing. I've worked a bit with people like them in the past and what I like most about them is that they don't care about me, or anyone else, liking them (and often make that clear). Or about making big money, although I am sure they are deservedly well paid. They are driven to do the work they do because they want to find solutions to diseases that kill a lot of people, and to get them used in places that the big players don't care about because they can't mke money there. They've been struggling away, doing hugely innovative work and not getting the funding they deserve for years.

Along with people on the front line of health and social care (including you?) these are my heroes.

In this case Astrazeneca seem to have done the rights things, and credit to them for that. But they are the exception to the rule as far as I am concerned.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fans back in football stadiums from mid-October is the plan.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
‘A government source confirmed that PHE's current method of calculation means if a person was previously diagnosed with COVID-19 but subsequently died of unrelated causes, their death would still be counted as part of PHE's daily coronavirus death tally‘

The sceptic in me thinks perhaps this was the governments plan all along, calculate deaths one way until they are at a low number, make a big noise about a discredited department that stands to be disbanded and reorganised very soon and then change the way they count them and all of a sudden you have single figure or no deaths !
A bit like Spain have done really !

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Few of us pointed this Flaw and got shouted down.

Think they are panicking now as the fear is completely set in.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Few of us pointed this Flaw and got shouted down.

Think they are panicking now as the fear is completely set in.

I think they may indeed have overdone the fear and it will now take them a lot longer to turn the economy round on the way out of this virus than first hoped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here